SOS! TERRIBLE FISHING ON LAKE O?

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
charlietuna
Species: What ever will bite

SOS! TERRIBLE FISHING ON LAKE O?

Post by charlietuna »

Just wondering if anyone can confirm this? A friend of mine has a trip booked out of Mexico, lake O, in two weeks. He said the captain called and said the fishing is so bad that he could get his deposit back. My buddy is scratching his head and did press the captain with questions. The captain said they cant find decent numbers of kings, browns, or anything else.
I am just looking for some help as far as guys who are either there or are connected with guys out there.
I would like to be able to give my friend some solid information.
Thank you!

CT
mac
Species: Salmon, Trout and Bass

Re: SOS! TERRIBLE FISHING ON LAKE O?

Post by mac »

VTFishing and I just got back from Oswego and the chatter on the radio, tackle shops and docks is that the fishing is slow. We on the other hand caught 5 Kings Saturday evening so maybe the Kings are starting to turn on... Bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work. Good luck.
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Few of my buddies were out there for the weekend. Did ok. Highlight of the trip was a 12 lbs brown, and 15.5 lbs Atlantic!!! Thing was a tank!
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

fishing has been tough for kings the last 2 weeks,but it could be a totally different story in 2 weeks.if its a good charter,he should be able to put together a decent catch of browns,lakers,and kings,but hey its fishing,there is no gurantee!!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Phantom (griz)
Species: all

Post by Phantom (griz) »

It is slow.Not many fish being caught and mature kings not in close yet.
JTM203SOUTH
Species: SALMON

Post by JTM203SOUTH »

Fished Mexico Bay between the Little Salmon and the Power Plant on Wednesday in 140 to 170 fow. Plenty of marks on the screen, but only one taker - a 25 lb King down 70 feet on a large yellow stinger. Did nothing with the flashers and flies. Thursday was too windy for our boat and we headed home. Stopped at Junior's in Port Ontario on Wednesday evening - He had seen very few fish that day.
1999 Starcraft Superfisherman 196 "High Hopes "
1996 Starcraft Superfisherman 170 " High Hopes Too"
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Fished out of Oswego today, the fish are far and few between for sure. In 7 hours we had 3 releases and boated one 22 lb king, running riggers, dipseys and copper. We fished 90' to 275' of water, screen was blank for most of the day. Printed some bait and a few fish but not in any great #'s. Radio chatter was pretty grim. Temp was all over the place from the crazy winds this week. Most boats out didn't bend a rod all day. Some of the charters did a little better, best I heard at the dock was around 6 fish landed - from over 700' FOW. Seems like the little action there was, was that far out. The 5' rollers and north wind kept most of us closer to shore, at least until the afternoon. A very few browns were taken closer to Mexico earlier in the day. Enjoyed the day but so far this month, not a lot to get revved up about. Could change at any moment!?!?!?!
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

up and down weekend for us.saturday fished 80 fow from high rocks to the stack.4 for 7,2 nice fish and 2 dinks.missed 2 on 300 copper and lost one off the rigger on a turn when he got into the wire.all bites were on spoons.went back to same area sunday and never moved a rod.gave it about 3 hours then picked up and ran out to 500 fow,fished that for about 3 hours with just the 400 copper taking a shot.didnt hear of anyone doing great,seems like 1 or 2 fish per trip,just like last year.on a good note,people are marking alot of fish,they just seem to be tight lipped,so hopefully things will pick up soon.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

finsntins wrote:up and down weekend for us.saturday fished 80 fow from high rocks to the stack.4 for 7,2 nice fish and 2 dinks.missed 2 on 300 copper and lost one off the rigger on a turn when he got into the wire.all bites were on spoons.went back to same area sunday and never moved a rod.gave it about 3 hours then picked up and ran out to 500 fow,fished that for about 3 hours with just the 400 copper taking a shot.didnt hear of anyone doing great,seems like 1 or 2 fish per trip,just like last year.on a good note,people are marking alot of fish,they just seem to be tight lipped,so hopefully things will pick up soon.
thanks for the report there getting a little better. im heading there friday . a short note i took your advice for bait for the carp and didnt do well. really didnt put much effort into it though.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

My brother in law is fishing tomorrow with Capt. Ernie on a 4 person charter.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

Spoke to a buddy of mine last night .... he just got back from spending the last 12 days fishing out of Mexico. He said it was the 2nd worst year he's had out there, with last year being the worst. I think he said he kept 20 fish and caught maybe 30. The keepers were a mix of kings and browns, with the biggest king being around 25lbs and the biggest brown at 9lbs. Said he was spending 45mins every day just running to where he was fishing. Got old after a while. It can only get better as time goes on here!