Mexico bay 9/25

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Mexico bay 9/25

Post by Bearcat »

Did the pilgrimage to the spawning grounds, in spite of the bad reports for fall kings in Ontario. Pulaski was a ghost town, a lot of long faces in the stores and restaurants. Went out of Mexico point before light, motored to the salmon river mouth area. Marked most fish between 30 and 50 fow, only saw two fish break water and very few boats in the combat zone or anywhere else out to 150'. Had 3 releases and picked up one fat hen, 15 lbs and black, on a J plug. Good fight but a sloooowwwww day. Didn't see another boat net a fish all day. Barely marked a fish when I cruised out 5 miles and fished the temp break for another 3 hours. Still beats working.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Mexico bay 9/25

Post by Reelax »

Wow.... That's a slow bite.... Good to hear you got to make the trip out anyway..... Thanks for the post
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

you probably dont want to hear this,but saturday and sunday were our best 2 days this season.2 for 5 on saturday and that was in 2 hours of fishing from 3 to 5 pm.would have done more,but i had my parents on the boat and had to get them back before dark.sunday was our best day of salmon fishing in the 3 years we have been fishing the lake.got out on the water around 11 am and by 3 we had 2 cohos and a brown and missed 2 on the dipsey.then around 6 pm ALL HELL BROKE LOOSE !!!we doubled up on rigger and 5 color off the board,land 1 and then the dipsey takes off,land the next one,then the 2 color and other rigger fires at the same time,all we could do was watch them dance in the holders cause we were still fighting 2 fish.so all 6 rods fired ina matter of 10 minutes,as we would get 1 rod back in the water it would fire,lost count after a while,but i believe we went 9 for 13 or so,10 + bites came from 6 to 8 pm.6 kings all but 1 over 20 lbs,3 cohos and a brown.im hoping they are still more out there and we can get another good weekend in.
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

That's awesome, sounds like the afternoon/early evening bite was when it heated up. I was out of there by then, had to look at another project boat down by Oneida Lake. I may head up again to focus on browns; love the fight of the kings but the matures are getting pretty gross now. Had a friend throw one in the smoker for me but we're not expecting it to taste much better than cat food. What did the browns hit on?
finsntins

Post by finsntins »

it was a late bite for sure,the 1 brown we caught this weekend was on a double orange crush stinger on the 5 color,we caught 1 last weekend on a meat rig on a dipsey.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

glad to hear you finally had a great weekend finintins. i didnt make it up for the kings this year but will be there in april for the browns again. take care and best of luck the rest of the season maybe will be able to hook up with you next year.
finsntins

Post by finsntins »

thanks fishy,sounds good.this was the was a tough year on the lake,even worse then last year,i hear it goes in cycles,hopefully next year is better.still enjoyed every minute out there.