2015 Spring King fishing at the western end: Is it May yet?

Share info and fishing reports from Lake Ontario.
digitroll (ron)

2015 Spring King fishing at the western end: Is it May yet?

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Started working on the delivery systems and tackle 3 weeks ago with some "live testing" out solo last Saturday afternoon 9/27 for 2 hours from Shelburne point to buoy 17 with my TD Fishhawk with the Big O mag dipsy's and slide divers. "Data is your friend" one of our IBM slogans from a decade ago in our characterization group certainly applies here with this well spent time dialing stuff in taking notes and preparing for next May.

7 months away and here are a few awesome clips from Yankee Troller from his website:

http://www.crazyyankeesportfishing.com/index.html
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: 2015 Spring King fishing at the western end: Is it May

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Beautiful !
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
lazycs

Post by lazycs »

good video Ron, i love the way Rich has the netting from his net anchored to a release on the handle, keeps it out of the way if you miss,no worry of it snagging the hooks and tearing them out of the fishes mouth...
digitroll (ron)

The Yankee troller boat is a class act Mike. Nice to have a birds eye view from that Go Pro perch of there office.
digitroll (ron)

4.5 months from now...... :)

fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

nice kings. do you fish ontario just for the kings? was wondering if you ever went out on ice out and targeted browns? any cohoes on your trips? i am planning some trips out to pulaski for ice out browns and kings later. we went over on a charter last spring and did excellent with browns 2 nice cohoes and one 29 inch eye that we also released out of season. my son has a 18 foot stratos center console and we would like to take that out along with one charter.
digitroll (ron)

I had fished the Spring bite for Browns and some years Kings mixed in out of Oswego / Fairhaven / Watertown from 1982 - 2002 and later in August for the late season bite for Kings. Began focusing on the Spring King bite in 2003 in the West and have been going for 12 years now. We get a few Coho's but we target the Kings. The benefit is: Less waves to deal with on the western end of the lake / They are caught on average 30-60 feet down / No fleas to deal with / Nice n silver with the scales falling off them in the boat / The 8-12 lb fish sometime jump / The matures average 18-22 lbs. I love the spoon bite! No lead or copper out 300-600 feet. No meat. No planer boards (leave them home). Rarely use flasher flies. Simple easy breezy program with 2 divers and 4 riggers with spoons for two licenses and our autopilot. Love it!

I haven't had any desire to fish browns with the Spring King bonanza out west. Browns can be fun though in big numbers in April. But when the calendar turns in May.... The Kings are King! Nothing like it on those crazy drag burning runs. :)

The other amazing fact we haven't been blow off in 6 straight years over a 5 day period each Spring. I have only been blown off 6 days in 12 years out of 70 fishing days. :) All out of a 19 ft bowrider aluminum boat.

(We average 1,000 miles for this trip roundtrip towing and 150 gallons of fuel for boat and truck.) $40 in tolls for I-90.

Oswego is a great port in the Spring to fish Browns and Kings though in early May.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i just checked google maps and from where we fish in pulaski oswego is only 23 miles south so its not a big deal for us to travel down and fish out of there also. i am 4 hours from pulaski a little over 200 miles.
my son has fished out of there and caught some nice kings. last year was my ist trip out there and im hooked. looking forward to going again. thanks for yout tips.
never caught a king and looking forward to it but like fishing browns also. lake champlain is really getting better for browns and hopefully they get bigger. some are like footballs now.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

is this boat adequate for pulaski or oswego in pic above. we are going to use it mostly on champlain but would like to take it out to ontario a couple of times.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I have fished Ontario out of Sandy Pond in a 14' aluminum open boat,in a light west wind ,figuring the waves would bring us right back in.The water was only 3' deep allowing us to fish the surf where the big boats couldn't venture.We figured that we could walk in when the boat swamped.What a blast,10 brownies trolling with a fly rod with the biggest 9 lbs.Many years ago and probably too many beers involved.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

when i went out to ontario fishing in april thats where we did the best for browns right out in front of sandy pond. it was a blast and our biggest was 9 llbs . caught 4 or 5 8lbers. we had 37 releases in 8 hours of fishing and boated 28 or 29 of them. its not april yet?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

digitroll (ron)

Finished setting up 2 Dan Keating SWR (3 color lead Secret Weapon Rigs) to run off riggers / 2 Mini-Slide divers 2.5" discs / and 2 more regular slide diver set-ups. All these stealthy delivery systems are going to be tried after the 8 am bite fizzle that typically happens most days on Spring Kings.

I also will try the SWR rigs on my light rods here on Champlain and the mini 2.5" Slide divers. The thinking is the much bigger Slide diver 2.5" will trip and slide down the line and will go out further to the sides rather than the Big Jon mini discs in the smaller 1.5" and 2" sizes that drag harder as they don't trip and go out east and west slightly out to the sides. They also have a fixed leader 6-8 ft length on the Big Jons. 3 good reasons to fish Slide divers in the smaller 2.5" size to fish the 10-25 ft depths.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

when is the best time for kings after april in the spring.