Homemade Aquavit

Share your recipes! We all love to eat!
Surprise
Species: FROSTBITING

Homemade Aquavit

Post by Surprise »

This recipe is a Swedish spiced vodka used to make Cured Salmon Gravlax or in ice cold shots from the freezer. Up the class of your Brunch Bloody Mary's .

Aquavit

1 qt. Vodka
4 sprigs Fresh Dill
4 strips of lemon zest
2 teaspoons caraway seeds
4 pods star anise
1 teaspoon fennel seeds

Put the vodka, dill, and lemon zest in a sealable glass jar. Seal and shake, then let steep at room temperature for one day. Remove the dill and lemon zest.

Add the caraway seeds, star anise, and fennel seed to the infused vodka. Let steep for an additional 2 days. For a stronger flavor , continue to steep for up to two weeks. When desired flavor is achieved, strain through cheesecloth, and use. Enjoy. I keep mine in the freezer for a ice cold restorative or to use in Gravlax.

Kim Sparks Favorite Gravlax

1 -2lb or so 3/4-1inch thick I use commercial salmon for this as ours need to grow bigger to get on a regular basis.
Atlantic salmon, fillet

1/3
cup kosher salt

1/2
cup light brown sugar

1/2
teaspoon black pepper

bunch fresh dill

ounces akvavit

Instructions
Mix the needed amount of sugar, salt and pepper using this ratio. In a stainless steel or glass dish line the bottom with 1/2 of the dill fronds. Remove the pin bones from the fillet.
Leave the skin on but scale the fillet. Evenly coat both sides of the fillet with the sugar, salt mixture. More or less mixture can be used to taste. I usually use about 1/8 inch thick depending on the fillet thickness. Lay skin side down on the dill. Sprinkle the cut side with akvavit or any other favorite booze. Top fillet with remaining dill . Cover with plastic wrap. Weight fillet evenly. I use a 25lb bag of #7 1/2  lead shotgun shot . Store in refrigerator.  After 2 days pour off accumulated liquid. The 3rd day is ready for serving and keeps for a week.

I like Grey Poupon Honey Mustard and
dill weed with sliced rye bread, or homemade potato chips with sour cream.

Ice cold potato vodka shots, Sancere white wine, or a dry martini.

Amen...

Fish On!