12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing update for fall 2016

Post by ChessieMan »

Great catch considering the adversities overcome.

Not preaching, but I have the DEC TIPP (Turn In Poachers & Polluters) Line as a speed dial on my phone and I have used it!

1-800-847-7332
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Beautiful brown Wayne.
And I can detect a smile too ;)
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Nice Job Wayne & Fishy! :D
Targa V18
Species: lake trout/Salmon

Post by Targa V18 »

Nice looking fish fishy!!!! Thanks for the posts!!!!
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

WTG gentlemen nice to see the browns are biting! Great teamwork. Situations like this are why you always have a better time fishing with a friend :-)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

11/17/2016 after laker fishing and pheasant hunting today i decided to try a local champlain tributary for browns. i decided to use dillies tonight instead of lures and plastics. hit the stream at 3:30 pm and a little after 4 pm landed a nice 14 inch brown released it to bite again. then just before darkness had a strong hit and fish on busting water and heading down stream line wrapped around a submerged tree and it busted me off. couldnt tell if it was a brown or a steelhead but a nice fish.
Windknot

Post by Windknot »

So today I decided to brave the cold November Rain (obvious Guns N' Roses reference intended) and hunt down some salmon, First spot was a long shot being so far up river but figured it was worth a try. The water is scary low! Dunno if its the same on the Vermont side but I can see the bottom of pools Im not supposed to see the bottom of... In any case after about 1.5 hours in my first spot not even a hit, no salmon, trout, bass.... nothing. So went to another spot where bridge crosses the river and LO AND BEHOLD a couple of salmon were hanging out in the current. I threw 3-4 flies at em and no takes, they were nose-down and wanted nothing to do with me. Decided to switch it up and head over to the lake (see in lake thread).... finally I hit my fav spot on the river and FINALLY hooked up. Went 2 for 6 on salmon. The first was a big male, nearly 28"probably close to 8 lbs. The second was much smaller barely 3 lbs. Lots more salmon in the river than the last time I was down. I stayed until dark then drove home in the crazy snow storm that ensued. Oh and I thanked my lucky stars I had my Nexus card since there were like 500 cars waiting at the border and only 4 in the Nexus line booya!
Windknot

Post by Windknot »

So today I decided to brave the cold November Rain (obvious Guns N' Roses reference intended) and hunt down some salmon, First spot was a long shot being so far up river but figured it was worth a try. The water is scary low! Dunno if its the same on the Vermont side but I can see the bottom of pools Im not supposed to see the bottom of... In any case after about 1.5 hours in my first spot not even a hit, no salmon, trout, bass.... nothing. So went to another spot where bridge crosses the river and LO AND BEHOLD a couple of salmon were hanging out in the current. I threw 3-4 flies at em and no takes, they were nose-down and wanted nothing to do with me. Decided to switch it up and head over to the lake (see in lake thread).... finally I hit my fav spot on the river and FINALLY hooked up. Went 2 for 6 on salmon. The first was a big male, nearly 28"probably close to 8 lbs. The second was much smaller barely 3 lbs. Lots more salmon in the river than the last time I was down. I stayed until dark then drove home in the crazy snow storm that ensued. Oh and I thanked my lucky stars I had my Nexus card since there were like 500 cars waiting at the border and only 4 in the Nexus line booya!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thanks for the report and im glad you finally scored in your favorite spot. a 28 inch salmon is a beast in my mind. congratulations. i went by there sunday on my way back from gander mtn didnt see your vehicle anywhere.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/21/2016 left laker fishing around 10 am to fish a river for salmon . used a bobber and a dillie nothing for 1/2 hour so went down stream in a spot close to where windknot likes to fly fish my 2nd drift fish on and good one. fought it for about a minute or so and it busted loose. left a little after 11 am to head home with no more hits. did sight fish 4 salmon on my way out though.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/23/2016 hit a river this morning hopeing to get into a salmon or brown. my set up wil be a dillie and a bobber. ist 3 spots were full with fisherman so i went up river a ways and found a spot i scouted a couple of weeks ago but the water level was really low this morning. my ist 4 drifts made my drifts in the slower water as the faster water was all the way across river. no hits so my 5th drift i casted up stream and all the way across the river which my 9 ft 6 inch salmon/steelhead rod comes in handy as the bobber was right across from me bobber stopped went under and up river and fish on. my rod was just bouncing wildly until the fish turned and headed downstream at a rapid rate when it tightened back up it exploded out of the water and shook loose. a good size salmon. then about an hour later bobber down and a miss. then just as i was about to leave to do some hunting bobber down and down stream very fast started retrieve and fish on only to have it foul hooked by the tail just before i went to grab it and take the hook out it got free. the salmon was about 21 inches but fought like a 10 lber hooked by the tail. :roll:
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/26/2016/ wayne fished a river in the morning and saw 5 sickly salmon near shore with that fungus on them. last time in a river i saw 3 and another forum member saw more above me. also vt matt left the lake yesterday and hit a river on his way home and caught a salmon with this fungus. the fish and wildlife told me this is rare on fish and mostly males. im thinking it cant be that rare if everyone is seeing them. someone should be looking into this as it seems to be spread out in different areas. maybe the lci could intiate it or lake champlain united. i think all fisherman should have an interest in this since i caught a walleye with it and other fisherman have even seen it on bass. :(
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I was going to ask here about fungus. Its white, maybe a little pinkish? I saw a salmon with it last week, in the lake on the VT side, swimming along the shore at the surface.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:I was going to ask here about fungus. Its white, maybe a little pinkish? I saw a salmon with it last week, in the lake on the VT side, swimming along the shore at the surface.
yes and thats what they usually do go to shore. all the ones we see on the rivers just lay there on shore in 4 to 8 inches of water. im trying to get some guys to get some pics to post. i have been fishing the lake. last year i remember seeing a huge laker swim right by my feet in the lake and he had white fungus all over him . never saw nothing like that but now it seems like everyone is seeing this.
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

fishy1 wrote: the fish and wildlife told me this is rare on fish and mostly males. im thinking it cant be that rare if everyone is seeing them.:(
If you are seeing Saprolegnia fungus, a white cotton looking fungus, it is a common disease to see during salmonid spawning activity. Generally males tend to get it often during the spawn, although females tend to get it on the tail, probably due to digging the spawning redd. Males are definately fungus magnets, they become aggressive, fighting with each other and also chasing females around as well. This subjects them to more injuries and stress during this time which leads to bacterial, parasitic and fungal infections. Once the females have dropped their eggs and spawning time is over, the surviving males should be able to recover as long as the infection isn't severe.