12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing, updated for fall 2016

Post by Windknot »

Yup that's a nice male right there. Wise to use the underbrush to hide the location as well ;-)
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing, updated for fall 2016

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

That's a very nice male with dark colors. Congrats
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing update for fall 2016

Post by fishy1 »

11/2/2016 hit a river today and wayne joined me again along with another fisherman. a steady rain falling all morning and salmon busting water all morning and no takers. was trying to video them but just to wet will try again soon. had several bobber downs but no takers as they would just grab the end of the worm and bite it off. same with 2 fly fisherman they had 5 hits but were just grabbing the end of the fly. wayne and i were wet and fished 4 hours but was worth it just watching those salmon doing their thing. :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/4/2016 wayne and i met on the river at daylight this morning hoping to catch a salmon and get a nice video but today they didnt cooperate at all. less than 15 busted water today and didnt capture any of it but tried. one fanned his tail on top of the water all the way across the river and i just missed it a tree was in the way. wayne and i fished until 11 am with wayne losing 1 and i lost 3 . several fly fisherman there along with us and they never had a hit. another fisherman we know we talked to down river landed a nice brown and he laughed he said it was by accident. he bent over and his worm dropped in the water on shore and fish on. he was laughing as he was telling us. he is a dedicated fisherman and a great fisherman and he is even having problems landing salmon and that is not like him. to see this guy using worms is telling us how bad the river fishing is this fall so far. the fish he landed was a brown and that made him smile also.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/5/2016 hit a river saturday morning with wayne and i fishing on 1 side of the river and vt matt and edin joining us on the opposite side of the river at daylight. i was at the spot at 6:40 am to hold it and wayne joined me a little later then at 7:15 am matt and edin got there and just in time as fisherman were flocking to the river. at 7:20 am i lost a nice salmon and wayne soon followed with losing one and that would be it for him and i on our side. matt soon after loses 1 but didnt take long for matt to connect . a short while later matt lands another only this time a nice 22 inch brown. then a little later matt lands another. at 10:20 am wayne and i decide to go down river as it was really getting crowded but matt and edin stayed. we didnt have much luck down there either so we decided to call it quits and head home. matt sent me a text before he left and he landed 5 salmon 1 brown lost 1 and edin 1 salmon those were the only fish caught at that location except for 1 foul hooked salmon. i took a video of the fisherman on the river and after looking at it i thought i was on the salmon river in pulaski. :o
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/6/2016 my plan this morning was hit shore for lakers but it didnt work out since it was raining hard with a stiff north wind when i got there so i hit a river close by hoping to catch a salmon or a brown. wasnt going to happen today either as all morning i only had 1 hit and no fish were active with the cold front coming in. talked to several fisherman and they got the same 0. got some texts from some forum members were having the same kind of luck. late this afternoon got a text from vt matt as he got broke off by a beast of a salmon. i think his effort for all day was he landed 1 male salmon. im hoping soon the river fishing picks up as the ups and downs of the weather and spawinig mode of the salmon improves. every river i have fished so far this fall i have talked to lots of fisherman thinking there doing something wrong. the amount of fish in all of the rivers and it seems like no one is catching any. a couple of forum members i know fished all week with flys and never landed 1 fish. vt matt is an exception as always with those flys but he is dedicated and an super fly fisherman with lots of knowledge. :)
as i look back to last fall i started catching salmon on the river the ist week in december as november i was mostly shore fishing for lakers and pan fishing.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

I hit the river this morning too. At first light we were 5 fly fishers working a popular hole and 0 hook ups. The salmon were rising and jumping, even had 3 tail dancers.... one mild take was all the action I had in that spot. I decided to go to a more secluded section upriver and found a spot where I was literally surrounded by salmon. I tried everything... dry flies, egg patterns, streamers.... I dangled flies in one salmon's face for nearly 20 mins.... nothing doing. So I figured what the heck? I've got a new GoPro-type camera I haven't tried under water yet, lets give it a go! Here's what I got: https://youtu.be/8X5x_Hup2pE
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/8/2016 met up with wayne on a river hoping to video the salmon spawning and just watching them. we did plan on fishing a little to. hit the river a little late but wayne was there at daylight and had approx 20 salmon right in front of him but when the sun came out they spooked. did see 4 or 5 but wasnt quick enough to get them on video. got just a fin on one video. we didnt get any hits either so we decided to go up river. the 3rd spot we hit there was a big salmon out there just staying on top of the water. couldnt get it on my phone to far so i zoomed my camera in but every time i snapped a pic it went down anyhow i took 9 pics and downloaded them on my computer and only got him once along with 3 or 4 others. it is a 30 plus inch salmon easily. i might post it if i can black out the background. the fish were a long way out and i had to zoom them in so there is some background i would rather not show. going to check with some freinds this morning how to make some adjustments to the pic. wayne did end up with one hit while i was trying to video and take pics of the spawning salmon.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/9/2016 i didnt get to fish a river today after shore fishing for lakers because of the rain but got to watch some salmon netting and testing salmon by u.s. fish and wildlife. did get a couple of pics from a forum member who doesnt have a pc as i post them for him. we hook up together sometimes and always text each other how the bite is and share out pics.
so here is a nice brown he landed on 11/8/2016Imageimage hosting 15mbImageimage upload no limit
here is another brown he landed this morning measuring 24 and 3/4 inches both these browns were released to bite again
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

SWEET!!!!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Nice looking hens! Thanks for the look . Also glad to hear they where released to spawn!
Riddler
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/11/2016 hit 3 rivers today under very windy conditions with 0 results on all 3. took me 5 hours to complete the 3 rivers and had 1 strong hit in the ist river and that was it. talked to lots of other fisherman with the same results. it shouldnt be much longer the bite will get better since my best success started in december of last year . i saw only a few bust water and out on a show but that was early in the ist river. wayne came down to see me around 8 am and we were standing on shore and he had 2 salmon 2 feet from his feet or less. 3 times they showed up in 8 inches of water. :o
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/12/2016 left laker heavan around 9 am for some more river fishing. fished river # 1 with no hits and no fisherman. went to river # 2 and ist drift bobber down and a miss. then nothing until i left at noon. saw what looked like browns following my dillie but no takers. the browns looked like about 15 inches or so. went home had lunch and decided to hit a local champlain tributary close to home. same results no takers even though i saw at least 8 or 9 browns. hope the river fishing picks up as all my reports today were the same as mine a very slow day. on both sides of the lake.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/13/2016 hit a river this morning and wayne joined me a little later. had one hit early on a dillie and a miss but that was it in spot #1. wayne and i headed down to spot # 2 and we decided to use 2 rods 1 with a bobber and just let it sit and cast with our other rod with lures. got set up and wayne and i were about 25 yards apart when i heard wayne yell matt fish on. hurried down to him and says wayne wheres the net wayne says in the car yikes. here is the fish busting water all over the place i said to wayne ease him in slowly and ill grab him wayne says ist you have to reel my other rod in the fish is over it. wow i said this fish is making this catch difficult then wayne says its a brown and i want it so i was prepared to go in the water if i had to. reeled in his other rod without a problem and as i did the brown was busting water like no tommorrow after a minute or so wayne got it close enough to shore and i reached out and grabbed it and carried it away from the water quickly. thats when i saw waynes big smile and we gave each other high fives. teamwork landed this brown. :D then we decided to hit spot # 3 and just spin cast with 1 rod. so for 1 hour we casted and wayne got no hits and i foul hooked 2 salmon that luckily got free. wayne and i witnessed a snagger today and he foul hooked a salmon went behind some trees and kept the salmon. somehow i wish these fisherman would all get on board and fish sporting even if they dont catch and release just fish by the rules. :shock:
here is a pic of waynes brown which was 22 inches long.Imagescreen capture tool
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

Beauty!