12/8/14 frostbite river fishing updated 10/31/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Re: 12/8/14 frostbite river fishing, updated for fall 2016

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Nice brown Wayne. I'll be all smiles if I catch one.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

10/19/2016 wayne and i hit the river again and it was very warm again. we started together in one hole and then split up heading different directions to try a taker salmon or brown. wasnt going to happen for me although i did miss one on a olive streamer ist hit on it. i landed 2 bass and 1 fall fish and left at 11:45 am. wayne caught up with me before i left and he landed 2 small browns 11 and 12 inches. wayne said he was going to come back to the river later on. around 7:30 pm wayne called me very excited about his fishing this evening. said he was down in the lake part of the river walked out in the water and had salmon busting water all around him. he said there were at least 50 salmon and there swimming by his legs he said he watched this until dark and left. said he didnt get any hits but didnt care just watching this right in front of him made his day. he said its the only 2nd time he has ever seen this the other with me fishing catfish. he watched carp bass tench fish gar fish bowfins and catfish and others busting water for 3 hours next to my boat. we took today off as i went pan fishing and wayne caught up with some work. :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/21/2016 hit a river today and got there early to try and secure a spot on the hole. got there at 6:10 am but no go 4 fisherman camped out and 4 for going down. talked to a fisherman i knew and said he son was down river so i decided to join him. raining steady but it wasnt going to stop me from fishing after the 1 hour trip. put on a floating rapala fished there until 8:30 am with no hits. 2 other fisherman there with the same results. walked up river and tried another spot and same results. decided to go up farthur where the river was faster and wider so i put on a orange with black dots thomas lure and started casting 4th cast finally a real strong hit and fish on and a big one. within seconds it shook loose. this fish hit so hard i thought it was going to pull the rod right out of my hands. not long after a solid hit and fish on i land a nice 17 or 18 inch salmon. it was hooked right in the lip so i was lucky with those small treble hooks not taking it out of the water and releasing it. no pic wanted to keep it in the water and release it quickly i had nothing to unhook it since my pliers were in the car. fished another hour in the rain and had 1 more hit landed a small bass. we got much needed rain today and more to come. snow forecast for the weekend in the high peeks and it could be considerable.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

fishy1 wrote:10/21/2016 not long after a solid hit and fish on i land a nice 17 or 18 inch salmon. it was hooked right in the lip so i was lucky with those small treble hooks not taking it out of the water and releasing it.
Glad to hear the salmon are in the river. Think ill hit my usual spot on Sunday morning and see how many salmon have showed up. I wonder if this sudden surge of water will help them get over the rapids in Willsboro this year? Could really help natural reproduction in the river if they could get up to new habitat.
flyfish1
Species: Fish on the Fly

Post by flyfish1 »

Hi
Does anyone have any updates pics of the water level ? I'm curious to see if it's high or fishable ?

Thanks to all
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

flyfish1 wrote:Hi
Does anyone have any updates pics of the water level ? I'm curious to see if it's high or fishable ?

Thanks to all
the river was at 1200cfs friday the flow was the highest since march 1st. im sure today it was higher i fished for a short period.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/22/2016 hit a river this morning with wayne but didnt last long rain was heavy so we headed home. no hits 2 other fisherman there and they didnt get any hits either. we fished for 1 and 1/2 hours. river was fast today and rising.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/29/2016 hit my backup plan today since the wind was gusty for shore fishing for lakers and arrived at a river at 8:20 am . ist hole there was 6 fly fisherman so i walked down river and fished with a bobber and a dillie. started my drifts by casting on the opposite side of the river . 3rd drift the bobber stopped and thinking i was stuck tried to retrieve and fish on for a second. stole the dillie made a few more drifts and down came the rain so i headed back to the pickup getting very wet. and decided to call it a day. :(
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

I have it a shot today, was out on little river, zack woods, and winooski today, got rained on all day. Got some practice in with the fly rod. And I got a nice 12" brookie for all my troubles. Lots of smaller brook trout too. Just wanted to get some inland trout done before season is over. Pheasant tail worked good.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Registered Kayak wrote:I have it a shot today, was out on little river, zack woods, and winooski today, got rained on all day. Got some practice in with the fly rod. And I got a nice 12" brookie for all my troubles. Lots of smaller brook trout too. Just wanted to get some inland trout done before season is over. Pheasant tail worked good.
thats great mark. did you just start fly fishing? any pics ? sounds like you had a fun day . thanks for the post.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/30/2016 a stiff north wind blowing this morning so i checked my pm,s and had one from windknot he was going to come down on a river and asked me to join him. so i headed there and met him at 7:15 am. a fish and wildlife biologist was there also and we talked for awhile. the biologist wanted some samples if we caught any and would net the fish for us. ist drift with my bobber and dillie bobber down and fish on only to shake loose in the fast water. i made my drift right where the biologist said they were holding. windknot and i fished there one hour and decided to move down river and cover some water but nothing doing i had one hit and windknot 0. did see 1 surface just below windknot. we seperated around 11 am and he went north and i went south to try for some lakers. no fish were landed while we were at the river. havent heard how windknot made out yet and i posted on my laker fishing.
Windknot
Species: Trout, salmon, walleye, bass

Post by Windknot »

Nice meeting up with you today fishy1 and glad you had some action even if you were unable to land it. I went to another river after we met up. Fishing was still tough. Very low water and though a few fish breached during the +-1 hr I fished there they just weren't biting. Talked to one guy from my area who was fishing there and he had landed a small salmon earlier. I imagine that the bulk of the salmon have not moved up river yet and in a few weeks it will be better.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

10/31/2016 headed to a river today and ended up fishing 2. the ist river i spent 1 hour on 3 different spots on the river with 0 hits. saw only 2 other fisherman and they had 0 hits also. so i headed a little farthur north to try another river. got there at 11 am with 3 other fisherman there. fished until noon with 0 hits again. talked to 1 fisherman and said he landed 2 nice salmon yesterday on this river with a egg fly. today he said it was a different story.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/1/2016 hit another river today at 7:25 am and 2 other fisherman already there. all i had was dillies so i was just going to use them since i was in the restricted waters with no weighted lines or lures. one of the other fisherman was a local that i know very well and we discussed the poor start for this years salmon run. my 4th or 5th drift had a bobber start upstream and i missed. then that was it until 10 am and i had another bobber start upstream and another miss. that was it for the day and the other fisherman never got a hit on their flies. but the best part was what i called the show the whole time i was there i counted 37 salmon putting on a show busting water , tail slapping on the surface for 6 to 10 feet at time and more. sometimes the same salmon would do this 3 or 4 times up river and then 3 or 4 times back down river. just an amazin show to watch. next time i witness this i plan on videoing it at least make an attempt. dont know how many fisherman have ever witnessed this but it was a great show and it didnt matter to me even if i didnt catch one. :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

11/2/2016 hit another river today and met up with wayne and another fellow fisherman. lots of fisherman so we fished our 4 th spot that we had in mind. none busting water but had several follow my dillie in to shore. wayne had the ist hit as his bobber dissapeared and headed up river and wayne missed . then a little later was reeling in and my bobber was twisted so i snapped the rod end to shake it loose and out of the water busts a big salmon raising my bobber a foot off the water. it missed the dillie. then about 1/2 hour later wayne had bobber down and a miss again. then shortly after i tossed my line out in the fast water and the bobber stopped thought i was stuck but soon my rod was bouncing and my reel zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing and off he came. 2 more hits after that and our other fellow fisherman no hits at all using flies. wanted to video salmon today swimming on the top of the water with their tails but none in this spot.
Last edited by fishy1 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.