Sloow

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Sloow

Post by tmcaul »

Son and I launched out of Converse this weekend.

Fished from Whallons north on Saturday. Winds were light but variable. A kids' regatta was trying to start near Cannon point, but it appeared that light wind near shore was hindering start of race. The sailors finally started and headed south-south-east towards us as were trolling north. We changed course a bit and slid to east of the sailboats. Guys in a Lund Alaskan (don't know their names) had been heading south and were able to troll right through a wide gap in the sailboat fleet. Slick maneuver.

Son landed a small laker and then we lost 3 consecutive fish over the course of about one minute. First strike was on a spoon behind a stern planer with 200+ ft of line out. I had the rod and fish and was in process of detaching stern planer when one of the riggers went off. In the 20 or so seconds it took me to detach the stern planer, fish #1 got off. Then a rigger or side planer went off; don't recall which. Son was on fish #2 and I got another chance on fish #3. This was a little like Controlled Chaos' story about how he got his LCU user name. But on Chaos' boat, three big lakers were landed. On our boat after a little bit of excitement nothing was landed and we motored into Essex and had lunch at the Old Dock.

Sunday we decided to head down to mouth of Otter Creek and fished towards Scotch Bonnet. Bait balls and a lot of marks, most of them small and sometimes in the entire water column, from just south of Diamond Island along the shelf where Otter Creek empties.

While Saturday was a day for losing fish, Sunday was our day for small fish. One exception, lost a strong fish off Mile Point, but scoreboard for day was three very small salmon, largest about 10-11", and one fat perch.

Tom
Last edited by tmcaul on Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Sloow

Post by Reelax »

Great read Tom... those days sound par right now... I do hear the walleyes are trolling up nicely in 30-40 fow over weed beds close to deep water shelves right now.... haha
Matt B
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

Sssshhhhhhh.
High Plains Drifter
hard knox
Species: salmon

Post by hard knox »

Tom you need to get that new ride to Oswego its worth the trip !