fathers day derby 2018

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
fishy1
Species: many species

fathers day derby 2018

Post by fishy1 »

GOOD LUCK TO ALL IN THIS YEARS LCI FATHERS DAY DERBY. LETS SEE SOME POSTS ON HERE AND PICS. LETS ALL OF US GO GET THEM. FISH ON! :D :D :D :D
MWM
Species: Salmon

Re: fathers day derby 2018

Post by MWM »

Good luck all! We'll be out fishing for fun tomorrow around Westport.
Matt
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

See you all out there!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

day 1 alayna and i lci derby. 3 cat rods with bait and one worm rod to catch fresh bait which was hard to come by. slow start but i caught a bass. got a few runs but no takers. at 11:45 am alayna,s turn she had a good run and fish on had trouble getting it out of the jungle weeds and lily pads then the unthinkeble happened it broke her off 30 lbs trilene big game . then at 12:15 pm another strong run alayna grabs the rod and fish on and another good one fighting every inch trying to shake loose in the jungle weed but it didnt happen as alayna used the cat rod and used it well and i put it in the net. high 5,s started took quick pics and headed to weigh her fin in. fin weighed in at 9.09 lbs as of tonight alayna was in 5 th place in the junior division. i lost 2 big fins and a nice cat to the lily pads but will change my set ups tommorrow for a better catch rate.
not letting me post pics tonight ugh
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Happy young angler
Attachments
6761.jpeg
Butcher
Species: cold water

Post by Butcher »

Awesome Matt!!!!

Nice work!!
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

Couldnt fish it this year.
Checked the latest results, wow 10.3 salmon!
A lot of nice fish being registered.
Looks like a sheepshead going to win it again this year.
No walleye registered?
High Plains Drifter
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Here you go Matt, keep up the great fun!
Attachments
6832.jpeg
6834.jpeg
6836.jpeg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

thanks jeff for posting pics. 6/17/2018 fathers day lci derby day 2. alayna started the day in 5th place in the junior division. so we needed to catch a bigger fin. started slow at 8 am with out ist run and her turn. a good run i said okay close the bail and set the hook hard as its out at least 60 yards. she did and fish on but she struggled as the drag was zzzzzzzzzzzzing and it was in lily pads and jungle weeds. she worked it for a whil but it finally broke her off. a good 20 lb cat on the end of her line. then a few bumps and runs and no takers till 11:30 . i changed the far left rod to near shore about 15 feet under a tree because i saw a fin there. 2 or 3 minutes later a run and alaynas turn i tell her to close the bail quickly and hope for the best so its doesnt get to the jungle weeds well she did and wow it doubled the rod over and moved her a little fish on. after the drag zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing for what seemed an hour since the fish was so close to shore in 3 fow it would be a battle 15 minutes later or so with my heart pumping she puts it in the net. said her wrist hurt. took quick pics and weighed it in 13.78 lb 29 inches. came back threw it in the same spot and within 5 minutes my turn fish on and a good one to zzzzzzzzzing my drag but in about 5 minutes i land a 33 and half inch 16.88 lb cat. caught several bowfin to finish the day . at the end of the day alayna dropped to 9 th in the junior division but a big suprise she was 2nd in points for the warm water jolly angler of the year award. she still has to catch one monday since the angler of the year award has to be by points but has to be the biggest and has to weigh a fish in all 3 days. the derby ends at 4 pm monday so she has a shot.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Alayna has a good shot Matt and we will all be rooting for her, get her on some fish!
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Here's a better picture of Alanya
Attachments
6862.jpeg
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

jimbow wrote:Alayna has a good shot Matt and we will all be rooting for her, get her on some fish!
Ditto!!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Nice job you two we hope you did well today. Traci and i went by when you and Alanya were down at the farm but when we came back we stoped in to say hi but you were gone.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Nice job you two we hope you did well today. Traci and i went by when you and Alanya were down at the farm but when we came back we stoped in to say hi but you were gone.
we thought that was you out there. it ended at 4 pm went over to the raffles at sportsman cottages.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

day 3 started fast with 5 runs ist hour and no takers and hung up twice losing 2 good fish. then at around 8:15 am it happened a run with line peeling off the reel super fast. told alayna close the bail didnt want to let it get out in the jungle weeds very far. well when she closed the bail the cat rod doubled over and moved alayna forward. well i knew what was on the other end a catfish i named ghost a few years ago. alayna couldnt budge it and i cant help her per rules . i then noticed something her line was north along the shore so i said put pressure on it and she did and the catfish surfaced south of us along the shore old slippery ghost not heading straight out for the broad lake like 99 per cent of the cats do. so i had a decision to make since it looks like the line was hung up on something. i asked alayna to open the bail and ill walk the loose line up a ways to try and free it what happened next was startling ghost decided to make a straight run for the broad lake peeling the line out of my hand burning it. ugh. then it broke off the 30 lb cat line. i turned to alayna and said sorry i made a very bad decision. we were both shocked. i said after we get set back up ill tell you about ghost she said na na already told me about ghost. the rest of the day was very depressing for me to say the least i let alayna down. the rest of the day it went over and over in mind. she got bumped out of angler of the year and was now down in 10 th place in the junior division. she landed a catfish later on just not big enough to help her in the standings. we ended day 3 with 4 more hang ups and 3 lost fins. ugh. as of 7 pm tonight alayna was still in 10 th place if it holds she will get a trophy her ist 2 years in the derby at 6 years old and 7 years old and no help from pa pa reeling them in.
Last edited by fishy1 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:21 am, edited 4 times in total.