Lampreys

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Free Bird
Species: Salmon

Lampreys

Post by Free Bird »

Is anybody else seeing ridiculous amounts of lampreys this year? I have to assume so. At least 80%of the salmon and lake trout I’ve caught have had mature lampreys attached so far this spring. I haven’t fished north of Charlotte so I’m curious to know if this is isolated to the South or is it lake wide? I haven’t seen it this bad for a very long time.
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Re: Lampreys

Post by nhjim »

most of the fish we have caught have hits on them but prob only 1 out of 10 have had any attached same as last year real small 1-2" down port henry end larger as moved toward converse area.
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Dispatched 3 so far this season and lost one salmon with one attached all about 6/7 inches. Treatment needs to be done on a regular basis on both sides of the lake
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

the ones i have caught so far from shore and boats have hits on them and only 2 so far with lampreys on them. havent really been doing that much laker and salmon fishing this year as years past though. but it seems to be worse this year.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

All my salmon have been clean this year, until yesterday when I caught a 3 pounder with two on it.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

We have seen a lot of lamprey on the lakers we’ve caught probably 50% had marks that were fresh. We’ve killed about 10, and had several others come off the fish by the boat.
kman05446
Species: salmon/trout

Post by kman05446 »

We fished the Shelburne Bay last weekend and fifty percent of our lake trout had lamprey hits on them. Did kill a couple of them.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

did 6 salmon,3 lakers and a small steelie,last saturday.the larger fish all had scars and the 4# salmon brought a 12" lamprey in the boat with it.He is now bait.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

It shouldn't be a surprise that attacks (especially on lakers) are on the rise since it was stated at the workshop that last years sampling showed about a 40% increase on lakers although salmon numbers remained about the same
FishDR
Species: Salmon

Post by FishDR »

Have seen about 1 in 10 and most were clean. All but 1 Steelhead were Salmon.
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

I have been fishing the Port Henry area and most of the salmon have old marks. Only caught a couple with lamprey on them. There does seem to be more salmon with lamprey marks as compared to when I fish Converse bay area and North.