Carniverous Alewives? I.S. sunday

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Carniverous Alewives? I.S. sunday

Post by flyguy »

Spent 5 hours on the IS yesterday - what a beautiful day on the water! Marked a bunch of fish but caught perch...sigh. Threw everything at 'em, but couldn't connect. HOWEVER - there was one interesting thing that did happen. I hooked (yes, in the mouth) a 9" alewife. What's up with that? I thought they only ate tiny invertibrates and zooplankton. Maybe the alewives are getting so large that they are eating the stocker salmon? If you want to try for lunker alewives, I was using a brown trout speedy at 50', back 40' over 90 fow, at 2.4 mph. Good luck! :lol:
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Carniverous Alewives? I.S. sunday

Post by Reelax »

Is there a master angler category for alewives?
Matt B
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Found some fish at an old haunt north of Hyde point and half way to St A bay. Haven’t been up there for a few years. Most of the bait etc was down 40-50 but pretty much everything came on copper and green needlefish set as sliders. Nothing big but at mid day we get what we are dealt . Sounds like those willing to go to some of the old hot spots are finding some fish.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

i have caught alewives casting with krocodiles in the spring and had plenty of follows to.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

I landed a 4" rainbow smelt that bit a speedy last season in Bulwaga, and we always see small perch nailing lures that are bigger than they are, but plankton feeders?
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Alewives will decimate Perch Fry, Smelt Fry, if the Alewife Spawning season coincides too closely with the smelt hatch, can be caught on small fly patterns, many will aggressively follow a spoon during the spawning season (which I thought triggered a spawning urge) and, yes, the larger ones will be occasionally be caught in the mouth on a spoon. Just plankton eaters ... I don't think so but certainly do eat zooplankton and small invertebrates.
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen