shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish updated may 15 2019 huge eye

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: shore fishing for walleyes and pan fish

Post by fishy1 »

Crayfish wrote:Congrats, Matt! Some great fish. You must be on the NY side of the pond.
yes i am they slowed on your side of the pond.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Seeing all of these eyes is a good sign. Thinking its time to give eyes a try this year
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

keithm87 wrote:Seeing all of these eyes is a good sign. Thinking its time to give eyes a try this year
go get them .
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/14/2018 hit the water this morning for some eye fishing and pan fishing since it will be awhile before i get back there since im fishing the lci fathers day derby. well i rigged 3 rods one with a shiner on a moon eye jig one with a bell sinker and a snelled hook set above the sinker and the other a moon eye jig tipped with a whole crawler. a very slow start and a long morning ist time in this area i been skunked for eyes. did catch some big perch and rock bass. only had one decent run and i missed. i guess i can blame part for the cold front that came through but still i usually catch at least 2 eyes. i guess thats why we call it fishing.
Sacospinner
Species: All

Post by Sacospinner »

Matt, they had a good supply of your moon eye jigs at Dick's sporting goods. I'm not sure how far that is from you but they had a large supply at the Dick's in Williston, VT. Thank you for sharing your technique on how to fish them for Walleye. Good luck with the LCI Derby this weekend as well.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sacospinner wrote:Matt, they had a good supply of your moon eye jigs at Dick's sporting goods. I'm not sure how far that is from you but they had a large supply at the Dick's in Williston, VT. Thank you for sharing your technique on how to fish them for Walleye. Good luck with the LCI Derby this weekend as well.
thank you ill try and get some after the derby.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/6/2018 headed up north this morning to try and catch some eyes. forgot my moon eye jigs so i settled for sinkers and hooks with a crawler. fished 2 hours in very windy conditions with no takers. i did catch some big perch and released them due to me also forgetting to stop and get ice. ugh! i did get my dunkin donuts coffee though. :D i think i caught 11 big perch from 9 inches to 13 inches. had one good run and a miss which was probably and eye. i fished in 30 fow . at 9:25 am i heard some crackling and all of a sudden and big pine tree came toppling down right in the water. ill see if jeff will post it for me later the pic is on my phone.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Now we can find his spot
Attachments
7676.jpeg
The River Rat
Species: Anything that swims

Post by The River Rat »

Nothing better than fresh timber with leaves next to deep water for eyes!
A White
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/9/2018 hit the other side of the big pond this morning hoping to find some walleyes so i decided to go down to the red gate area fished 2 hours with one good fish on and lost it. it hit a chartreuse maribou jig 1/2 ounce. then head up farthur to my spring spot only to fins someone had cleaned a small carp and left the remains right there. moved up a little and i found a trash landfill. ugh. counted 18 worm cartons and stopped counting 11 snelled hook packs lots of water bottles beer bottles balls of line empty corn cans diapers foil and more. really dissapointing. fished for 15 minutes caught 2 bullhead and left. told alayna about it and she was dissappointed to and said pa pa bring me over there fishing we will clean it up. going to need 2 trash bags i told her. :roll:
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

It's sad what we find out there. It's all over the place Traci and I find the same thing down here around the F&G Landing.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Shameful
Attachments
7760.jpeg
7758.jpeg
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/13/2018 hit the other side of the big pond solo today as alayna was with relatives. posted tonight in the walleye and pan fish post because i caught 2 small walleyes this morning. 1 was 12 inches the other 14 inches released them without taking them out of the water and still lost 1. ugh. the bite was steady for bullhead all morning kept 14 bullhead for freinds. also got 2 small pike bith hit after i missed fish and was retrieving the line. at 9 am my rod bent about 3 inches picked up and fish on i land a good size sheephead. i really got confused when landing it thought my hook was in its belly bit not the case someone elses plus my hook in its mouth and another a much bigger hook probably a 1/0. so i had a pretty good morning and the bite was steady. 6 or 7 other fisherman there the bite was slow for them.
60Fishman
Species: lake trout, salmon, bass

Post by 60Fishman »

I will never understand why people leave garbage behind. I do roadside cleanup one or twice a year with a local non-profit and it never ceases to amaze me the crap people throw out their car window. I grew up out west and my dad was a forester. Whenever we went fishing or camping he always brought a garbage bag and we would fill it up before we left. And this was at pristine spots in the Rocky mtn's.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/17/2018 hit the other side of the pond again today solo. started fishing at 6:30 am with a little rain. bite was slow but it picked up at 8:20 am when i land a nice walleye on 1 rod and the other a sheephead. then started getting some big bullhead. at 9:15 am i land another walleye 15 inches released it quickly. then a couple of carp and some big bullhead in between by 10:30 am . then as i tossed my line out it hit bottom and i had a hit that almost pulled the rod out of my hand and broke me off. then at 11:15 am another good bite and fish on and it surfaced and busted water i was thinking pike all the way and the fight was on. after a couple minute battle i got a big surprise a good size sheephead. never had a sheephead do that usually they stay down. it was fun as it was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing the drag as he made 5 good runs. ended the morning with 5 sheephead 11 nice bullhead that i kept 2 walleyes 2 carp and some white perch . kept the one legal eye. a fun morning