Inland Sea dead and dying Alewive's

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Inland Sea dead and dying Alewive's

Post by Smitty »

Any Info on the Alewife dying off on the Inland Sea..? is the rest of the Lake experiencing the same thing..?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Inland Sea dead and dying Alewive's

Post by C-Hawk »

Serious temperature change yesterday. Surface went from 62 to42 in 24 hours.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Post by Crayfish »

They've been dying off for at least 3 weeks ... and still more are dying. Some huge ones, too. I know we usually have some winter / early spring die off, but I don't remember it ever lasting this long into spring.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I think they are dieing of old age.., bunch of upside down swimmers. Seagulls were eating em last time out.
Matt B
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

Just got back from a nice morning on the IS and the worst concentration of dying/dead floaters was on the east end of the Sandbar. Lots of debris, too. There were some in Keelers, but not bad. The bite was light, but we smelled fishy by the end. 3 barely legal silvers that get to grow another day. Shakedown went well. Light to no chop and saw only about 6 boats all day. Crazy Ivan Wonderbread was the busy lure.
60Fishman
Species: lake trout, salmon, bass

Post by 60Fishman »

I launched out of Westport today and there were lots of dying alewives there too. All different sizes, so I don't know about the old age theory, at least where I was. There seemed to be fewer the further up the narrows I went. No luck at all today, I am mostly a lake trout guy and for the first time in a few years I was completely skunked, not even a release, tried everything. Marked some fish but they were not interested. The fog did not help as it kept me from going to my favorite spot until almost 10 AM. I think the fish have gorged on these dying alewives, at least that is my excuse.
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

i was thinking the same thing about the Salmon gorging them self on the dying Alewives but I did manage a single Salmon 18" and gutted it out found it had absolutely nothing in it's stomach...
so now I'm a week later made another run to the lake on the 15th Convers Bay this time water Temp.
was warmer there in the mid 50's marked fish everywhere from the top to 30' bait balls everywhere
had no truble finding the bait, spent from 7:30am till 4:00pm trolling thru everything but the kitchen
sink at them and nothing not a hit all day pooring rain fog you name it and nota thing what's up with this fishery acting alot like last year to me, just down right piss poor fishing. maybe it's time to hit some of the smaller waters around home at least I might catch something to eat for the cost of the trip....don't get me wrong I like to fish but I like to catch them also...I got 30 miles of river if I want a boat ride...! LOL