Keelers Sunday

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Re: Keelers Sunday

Post by Crayfish »

Same here, dbrooker. Fished the IS last night for a couple of hours. Went 4/5, but nothing big. At least they were biting. This was the first run with a "new to me" boat ... everything worked and we caught fish, so it was a very successful evening!

BTW, green was the magic color last night. Green Challenger stick fired first off the boards, followed by a green/char spoon that caught a couple and a watermelon spoon (green/pink) that also fired twice. Spoon hits were anywhere from 5' to 15' down on the riggers.

Here's the 1983 Sea Nymph that is the new trolling machine for Crayfish and Perchbait. This was my Dad's boat and has been sitting in his barn unused for the past 8yrs or so. We're going to try to put it to good use! You'd never know it was 35yrs old ... it's in fantastic shape.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Crayfish, I have one of those old Honda 7.5's hanging on my 44 year old aluminum boat and it's still running like a sewing machine. The great thing about those is they made them forever...the "classic 8" is the same engine, so parts are still plentiful and cheap.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Congrats on your new boat Crayfish sounds like it's doing the job. You and Perch will make good memories in it.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Laurentide wrote:Crayfish, I have one of those old Honda 7.5's hanging on my 44 year old aluminum boat and it's still running like a sewing machine. The great thing about those is they made them forever...the "classic 8" is the same engine, so parts are still plentiful and cheap.
I thought maybe that was what they were called. I was looking up remote throttle controls today and saw some that were available for the "classic 8", but not much for the 7.5. I was hoping they were the same thing. It was flat calm last night, so keeping a constant speed with the tiller was easy. It's going to get old fast with a little wind, though. It really needs nothing to fish with right now, though. One of my Dad's old spoons was the green/chartreuse that caught a couple of salmon last night, too. Going to head down to Converse this weekend, now that we got the "shake-down" out the way.
Savagepoint
Species: Salmon

Post by Savagepoint »

We started in KB this past mother’s day at 5 am. Marked plenty with temps at 47 or so. On the third pass of south side finally hooked up but it was barely legal so we tossed back. White and pink with black dots crazy Ivan. Only one other boat was out near us but they trolled around the island I think. Went across just south of eagle mountain. Trolled for a while north and finally got one hit which amounted to a miss. Then another barely legal about a half mile up from eagle on a fat buzzy crazy Ivan. Threw him back as well. Trolling at 2.5 both fish came off the riggers set 50 to 60 feet back around 15 deep in 15 to 25 Fow. We had gear near the surface but nothing hit. Left around 915 am. Don’t know if we are doing something wrong or just need to be patient. Hopefully it picks up.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Crayfish wrote: I thought maybe that was what they were called. I was looking up remote throttle controls today and saw some that were available for the "classic 8", but not much for the 7.5. I was hoping they were the same thing. It was flat calm last night, so keeping a constant speed with the tiller was easy. It's going to get old fast with a little wind, though. It really needs nothing to fish with right now, though. One of my Dad's old spoons was the green/chartreuse that caught a couple of salmon last night, too. Going to head down to Converse this weekend, now that we got the "shake-down" out the way.
I'd recommend a trollmaster with the Honda adapter. Here's how I set mine up:

Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Awesome, Thanks!
mudchuck
Species: perch

Post by mudchuck »

Nice rig!
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Thanks, Mudchuck! You been back out in your "new" rig?