Kayak Fishing

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
cjpinvt
Species: all

Kayak Fishing

Post by cjpinvt »

Hi, I'm new to the forum and looking for any information folks might share about current salmon fishing? I've yet to catch one. Most of my success has come by way of pike, bass (large and small), and occasional bowfin.

I don't know much at all about the colder water species. I've heard the salmon and lakers come up and close to shore in the spring. I tried north of the sandbar bridge earlier this week (April 11) I didn't have any luck. I was throwing a silver kastmaster.

Reviewing some of your current posts you all seem pretty helpful. Any suggestions you have for me would be appreciated. I've fished the Keeler Bay area in the spring with spotty success in years past. I guess I just don't know enough about the water temps? I see that Keeler's Creeks is ice free but perhaps too cold?

Any advice would be great.
dbrooker
Species: salmon, laker, sm, pike

Re: Kayak Fishing

Post by dbrooker »

Hey @cjpinvit,

I fish the sandbar area quite a bit, and yeah they definitely come and go through the shallows in the spring. Have had loads of success with kastmasters. I've had some success trolling via kayak (when I can't convince @danruss to take his boat out) long-lining shallow stick baits. Water's still very cold up that way, never had any luck in that area until all the ice through the inland sea is gone. Good luck!
Dillon
cjpinvt
Species: all

Post by cjpinvt »

Thanks @dbrooker. Any advice on line setup? I've read the posts about salmon setups but wonder how it relates to casting vs. using boards etc... I'd like to hope I'll get lucky to find them but then I'd hate to not be properly setup.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Hi. I fish from a canoe. I've got a trolling motor that I use a lot with it these days, but I do a fair amount of paddling around after them too. You probably know this, but do be careful-- the water is dangerously cold. I'm wearing a drysuit.

Some of the first advice I got here was to give up the Kastmaster. I really like Krocodile spoons in the rainbow trout color, 3/8oz size, with the treble hook switched out for a siwash. That's my go-to. It casts almost as far. Casting Honeybees are good, too, though they don't cast quite as far.

A slow retrieval is key in cold water. I was advised 1.5mph and that's close to what I'm doing. I calculated that's about one crank of my reel per second.

Some people are saying stickbaits are better in the spring, so I tried, and I've already had luck with a floating Yo-zuri Pin Minnow. It's good for paddling/trolling because it works well at slow speeds and doesn't sink when you stop. I can't cast it very far, though I probably could cast it farther on a lighter rod than the one it was on.

I see paddlers trolling streamer flies sometimes, like a Grey Ghost. Someone on this forum suggested trolling a streamer behind a dodger, but I haven't tried that.

For line, I started out using 6lb mono. It worked ok, but I got into a couple big fish that I couldn't handle so I decided to go heavier. I currently have 12lb braid with a 10lb fluoro leader (about 4 or 5 feet). It casts quite well. I might switch to mono mainline-- maybe I'll try 10lb and see how it casts. For casting, I tie the leader to the mainline with a double uni knot.

The boat trolling guys seem to use heavier line. I think it's because they can't stop moving, or they'll interrupt their "program" and tangle their rigs. So it takes more muscle to bring in a fish in a moving boat. That's my theory, at least.

I'll fish two rods when it's calm, but sometimes one is better.

Good luck!
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

thanks trout crazy couldnt said it better myself. 2 big things you said slowing the retrieve down in the cold water is the key and changing the treble hooks over to a single hook is also great which i havent done yet and the krocodiles are now packaged with a single hook included. if you are trolling or in a kayak/canoe the honeybee should be sufficient since you dont have to cast as far. the big advantages the krocodiles and honeybees have over the kastmaster and others such as the little cleos is the krocodiles and honeybees will stay up more above the weeds which is essential this time of the year since your fishing shallow. the krocs and bees have a side by side swimming motion the cleos and kastmasters have a tight spinning motion but also sink more and if its weedy it picks up weeds . my rods are fenwick salmon/steelhead 9 ft 6 inches with 12 lb trilene big game and i can reach out even with the lighter casting honeybees. also if you have read any of my posts i tie direct to my 12 lb line no leaders . i only use leaders on my trolling rods . my reels are shimano stradics which can really lengthen your cast even with the honeybees. good luck out there and feel free to pm me anytime. i do lots of shore fishing and casting from boats also.
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

This is the time of year to be productive for how your fishing, not familiar with your area but from past results if you find rising fish and drop a spoon close they’ll take it in. As far as lure speed trial and error. I always went with the slow retrieve too however my fishing partner zips a lure fast and does as well if not better than me it changes daily but you’ll develop your own program. Good luck