port henry fishing with chawk

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
fishy1
Species: many species

port henry fishing with chawk

Post by fishy1 »

4/12/2018 jeff drove up for some trolling in the port henry area met up with him at the vt boat launch at 6:30 am . jeff had a long trip with roads with icey conditions. then testing his motor it doesnt start ugh. jeff is pretty discouraged after his 3 and half hour trip. luckly a guy stopped down that works in the marina and told him to bring it over to the marina so i left for home right around 8:15 am jeff texted me said the motor was running it was air bound. so finally sometime around 9 am we set for salmon trolling.
we set put 3 in line boards and a braid fly rod with stick baits on . trolled close to shore with no hits made a big swing out in 17.9 fow and fish on my ist impression of the in line boards was not a good one. jeff says they work and ill get used to them . went about 150 feet and another board on its side jeff handed me the rod and couldnt tell if i had a fish on until i got the board to the boat and jeff unhooked the board instantly the salmon came off. ugh then a short while later another board going sideways checked rod and didnt feel anything then saw a salmon surface fish on then it hooked the other rods line and it came off. the wind was picking up now and we decided to turn around and head into the wind where it was a little more sheltered after making the turn board on it side i grabbed the rod started reeling nothing on i said to jeff went to set it back in the rod holder when it started bouncing the the rod and busting water got it to the boat after awhile and the boat was turning with the wind jeff grabbed the net and there it goes i lose my 3rd straight. ugh. a good 22 incher to. funny jeff says the stick bait hooks normally come out in the net but they also come out in the water,
then the worse happened we lost a board and with the wind it turned out to be a disaster a broken rod and hooked and one pole hooked to the bow. that kind of ended out day.
we had lots of fun though and will be back out there soon. 1 for 4 wasnt bad 2 other boats didnt get a release. cant post no pic now post image has been locked by the registry for some reason. will see of jeff can post later.
cant wait to get back out there.
Last edited by fishy1 on Fri May 25, 2018 5:51 am, edited 3 times in total.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: port henry fishing with chawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Long day for sure, but at least no skunk for my shakedown
Attachments
4262.jpeg
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Not bad... been lots of skunks running around. We worked hard for a 3:6 trip Sunday.... thanks for the report guys.
Matt B
Dirtyhooker
Species: all

Post by Dirtyhooker »

Good job guys we did 3/3 Sunday tough day Headed up In morning see what tomorrow brings
So many Lures So little Time
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

A nice looking screen
Attachments
4273.jpeg
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice work! Glad to hear you hooked into some fish. Sorry to hear about the rod and board. I lost a rod last spring on the first outing.

What is that fishfinder telling us?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Fish Port Henry
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

C-Hawk wrote:Fish Port Henry
"Reel" subtle Jeff.... :lol: :roll: Hope to see you up there soon...been a long winter :shock:
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

:lol: I saw some birds catching something. One large gull kept catching fish that were a little too big to handle, and dropping them back.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Perch maybe? I hope anyway. There is always a ton of bait in the Port Henry area.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

lots of alerwifes and white perch some smelt also. the yellow perch are way down in the shallow 2 to 4 foot of water getting ready to spawn.
goldeneye13
Species: Cold water

Post by goldeneye13 »

I was out this am. Got a late start. For many reasons. Mainly because i was supposed to go to work until i decided to get a fever ( spring fever). :D Rods down by 6:45. Only two other boat not working on friday. I was happy to see that. First fish in the boat 12 feet down of a speedy shiner chartreuse with a coper back. Over 20 fow. Then lure washing until 10:00. Well on a turn back north out of the bay 16 ft down i see the rod bouncing i look and that ffish is out of the water. He did 15 feet to the top in 3 sec. Fight is on. But has he get close to the boat he s swimming side ways and i know the end result of that one. 8ft from the motor he spits that hook out. Nice salmon. Looked like a 20 inch for sure. Keep on going. About half hour later rod pops fight him for a couple of minutes and he s gone. The last 2 fish 16 ft down on a fat ivan. They ran deeper then i expectwd. I picted up around 12:30
Dirtyhooker

Post by Dirtyhooker »

We were there this morning also hit first fish In front of gas docks while setting up and struggled to end up 2/3 largest fish of day was lost behind boat deep In Bay could not get a pattern going nice day though
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Dirtyhooker wrote:We were there this morning also hit first fish In front of gas docks while setting up and struggled to end up 2/3 largest fish of day was lost behind boat deep In Bay could not get a pattern going nice day though
saw you yesterday early i was on shore at the camp you were a ways above me . you were where we marked lots of bait thursday but also farthur south in the bay. did you see any salmon surfacing i saw some near shore.
Last edited by fishy1 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dirtyhooker

Post by Dirtyhooker »

I did I dropped a pig behind boat in 5’ of water mid day In front of camps birds all over Bay and bridge picking up bait insane