Dead fish.....alewives?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Re: Dead fish.....alewives?

Post by Adkhare »

I also stopped and checked out the fifth floating, before reading this I thought they were huge alewives but now I agree they probably are the gizzard shad. There are a lot of them but nothing in comparison to some of the alewife die offs I’ve seen. Alarming either way when you see this.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Adkhare wrote:I also stopped and checked out the fifth floating, before reading this I thought they were huge alewives but now I agree they probably are the gizzard shad. There are a lot of them but nothing in comparison to some of the alewife die offs I’ve seen. Alarming either way when you see this.
thanks for the update wished the news showed the fish a little better.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I read that they were actually stocked in Lake Champlain during the 1800's
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

fishingmachine wrote:I read that they were actually stocked in Lake Champlain during the 1800's
wow frank i wonder what there reasoning was.
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

they were stocked as a forage fish for larger species,like walleye,but it's not clear if they were actually stocked in LC or came in through the canal.the fisheries department at the time underestimated their growth rate and soon they get too big to act as forage for some game fish.Shad prefer shallower turbid waters like the lower end of LC
Mr.Esox
Species: Salmon

Post by Mr.Esox »

If they are gizzard shad they are at the northern most edge of there range ,this past winter with the extended cold they will have high mortality.