Dead fish.....alewives?

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
septageguy
Species: all

Dead fish.....alewives?

Post by septageguy »

fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Re: Dead fish.....alewives?

Post by fishingmachine »

I saw them Saturday,most were small carp,but looked a little different that most carp I have seen,the ones I saw were not alewives
septageguy
Species: all

Post by septageguy »

Not carp? Wonder what they are......
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

alewifes and gizzard shads same family.
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Post by popster »

Cisco
Bill
"POINTER"
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I don't think cisco way down in Whitehall
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

For some reason I'm really annoyed that the tv news failed to identify the species, and also failed to take a clear enough shot for anyone else to identify them.
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

They were Gizzard Shad I believe!
"OFF SEASON"
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Off season wrote:They were Gizzard Shad I believe!
yes they were i agree with that to
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:For some reason I'm really annoyed that the tv news failed to identify the species, and also failed to take a clear enough shot for anyone else to identify them.
x2
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

So are gizzard shad another invasive? Sounds like they are simmilar to alwifes in mortality effects from temp changes.
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Reelax wrote:So are gizzard shad another invasive? Sounds like they are simmilar to alwifes in mortality effects from temp changes.
matt from what i read gizzard shads are in the herring family and are a invasive species and die after spawning
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

waters and waters with high vegetative cover.[7]

Diet and feeding habits
The gizzard shad is planktivorous in its early life, feeding mainly on phytoplankton, before switching to a diet of zooplankton when it becomes older. Their consumptive demand is so heavy it can cause collapses in the zooplankton community, which has far-reaching effects through the ecosystem they are a part of.[3] They can switch to diets containing detritus, but their growth rates are decreased and they only do so when density of conspecifics is high and the zooplankton population has been depleted.[8] Daphnia and other crustaceans make up a large portion of some gizzard shad diets. Gizzard shad feed mainly during the day, with minimal activity at night.[3]

Reproduction
The start of the spawning period is typically between mid-May and early June, and is triggered by rising water temperatures. The number of eggs per individual varies between populations, but typically it is 12,500 eggs for a two year old individual and peaks at 380,000 eggs in an age 4 individual. The eggs are lain in shallow water in clumps, with seemingly no pairing off occurring between individuals. They spawn during the evening and the early hours of the night, and the eggs adhere to underwater vegetation and do not receive any parental attention. Feeding begins three to four days after hatching, and most individuals are 3.25 mm long upon hatching.[5] The gizzard shad has very high fecundity and a rapid growth rate, meaning it can become a large part of an ecosystem, in terms of abundance and biomass, very quickly.[9] They are capable of hybridizing with the closely related threadfin shad.[1]

Fisheries management
Gizzard shad were introduced into many lake and river systems as a source of food for game fish, such as walleye, bass, and trout, because of their small size and relatively high abundance. It was thought they would be easy food for game fish and would help increase the numbers of fish available, as well as decrease the pressures on prey species (like the bluegill).[10] However, due to their rapid growth they can quickly grow beyond the size available to many predators. In addition, they spawn in large numbers and can reach densities high enough to ensure that many of them survive past the first year, making them essentially invulnerable to predation. They are also harmful exploitative competitors to other species, leading to declines in other fish species populations.[11] They can increase productivity in an ecosystem through redistribution of nutrients (bringing the nutrients up from detritus deposits and making it available to other predator species).[8]
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

The more I think about it, the more I think that news story was worse than useless. Just enough vague information to get people freaked out-- "OMG fish are dying because the water is POISONED!"

From reading, it looks like gizzard shad die-offs are quite common, just as they are with alewives. The die-off isn't newsworthy. The fact that they are present in Champlain at all should be the focus of the story. The fact that all these invasive species can come up the canal, and there is still no mechanism to prevent it-- that should be the news story.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

troutcrazy wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think that news story was worse than useless. Just enough vague information to get people freaked out-- "OMG fish are dying because the water is POISONED!"

From reading, it looks like gizzard shad die-offs are quite common, just as they are with alewives. The die-off isn't newsworthy. The fact that they are present in Champlain at all should be the focus of the story. The fact that all these invasive species can come up the canal, and there is still no mechanism to prevent it-- that should be the news story.
well said i agree.