Splash Down Shake Down 3/6/18 Tuesday

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Re: Splash Down Shake Down 3/6/18 Tuesday

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Running 2-3 people in the boat this year I have opted for the big lumber twin Super Ski's running from individual masts on both sides of the boat. I find it easier to control the boards and reel in from 2/3's of the way back on the gunnel vs. the front of a boat on a dual mast system. When it's bumpy the big ski's do very well in the waves. Using the OR-10 yellow Offshore releases which come standard on the smaller inline boards are perfect releases for the tow lines with the shower curtain delivery device. Been real happy with changing out lures and getting releases on them so far. I had used the alligator clip style releases and wasn't fond of them in past years. No split shot used with small stick baits get the job done when the water is less than 42 degrees we have found with the late winter early spring fishing thru April. The slower speeds closer to 2-2.3 mph make these stick baits twitch off the tow line and entice the strikes from lethargic ice water (sub 42F water temps) fish. This fish was taken over 25 ft of water right on the surface on the rod closest to the board running out 75 feet. Managing your boards from standalone individual masts on each side is an advantage over running a dually from the front of the boat.

Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
flyguy
Species: atlantic salmon

Post by flyguy »

Boy, I am jealous! :mrgreen: During the warm snap, I was hesitant to trailer down to Converse due to the road conditions. Guess I'll have to wait a few weeks yet - headed back to Belize for more permit and snook fishing.
FATHEAD
Species: salmon

Post by FATHEAD »

I disagree with you Ron I have run dual reels off the front of the boat for 30 years now the board is not way in back of the boat if you run them off a single mast off each side beside your side curtains the board is too far back to my liking and gets poles tangled in the planer board line. In my opinion I don’t believe this is a huge advantage. If your pulling a heavy board like the ones Crazy Ivan has they seem to not be way back from the boat and corner fine. That’s my 2 cents. But huge advantage not.
digitroll (ron)

I wasn't saying the boards run further behind the boat. The individual masts are located 2/3's of the distance back the front of the boat. I had run a dual mast system for 20 years from the front of the Sea Nymph and it worked well. Huge advantage may have been a too strong a word. When I switched to standalone single masts it was a lot easier to retrieve the boards from the side and manage them from the side of the boat where we set lines. In addition, the boat steers from the rear by the outboard motor. Having a mast up in the front (in the middle up front centered) takes more steering left or right to move the boards in the preferred direction. Single masts from the side 2/3's back take less steering to move them since the steering happens from the rear of the boat instead of like a car the front tires your steering. I noticed these differences right away after switching from a dual mast way up in the front to the side masts 2/3's back. My apologies on the word huge advantage to "an advantage" you are correct.

The tow line would always run into my rods when making a turn to sharp when the dual mast was up in the front boat. Having the single masts where my side curtains end I noticed this wasn't happening as much due to the location of the masts on the sides near the rods. Picky stuff I know but improved my towing experience with big boards!

Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Sun Mar 11, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

I have the great lakes rocket launcher system where the reels & mast are at the end of the side curtains. I run otters with the extra 1/2 keel and can pull 3 lines a side or a 400 copper. Only time you have issues is when you loose boat control
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Congrats guys
Beautiful fish!!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
FATHEAD

Post by FATHEAD »

Oh I agree 100% they are easier to access then the mast up front but I always send the guys I take up front to do it lol.

We speed up on a turn and catch a lot of salmon on the turn. No dead board keep board moving on an easy turn not sharp and things work out fine. Was out today slow bite only 2 of 3 made it to the boat a 3.3 pound fish being the biggest. FISH ON !!!!!!!!
fishingmachine
Species: salmon,Lake trout

Post by fishingmachine »

I have done this both ways also and like the side mounted masts better,but now I just use inline boards(offshore with spring flags).When using a bow mounted mast we always had a retrieving line tied to the back of the top to ease in setting lines,we just pulled in the tow line in to reach the line.
bigfish

Post by bigfish »

I've found over the years. Running trees on the sides of the boat. Just forward of your drop curtain where it meets the gunwale works very well. I run the reels low and put my towlines low. Running trees allows you too run your rod tips higher than the towline. Their fore no issue when turning .
Otter boats, super ski boards,in line boards, home made boards , it never made a difference. Have rods stacked vertically instead of horizontally along the gunwale. Works very well. Saves space. I've run as many as 3 inline boards on each side with no issue.
Tight lines
digitroll (ron)

Good idea Big Fish! I like it!
larry gaudette
Species: cold water

Post by larry gaudette »

Wow! Nice start Don! By the way, I've got to tell you that of the 3 lures you taped up for me, the hot one was with the added green tape!
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

GREAT fish.. congrats !!
digitroll (ron)

Thanks Dream Weaver.... The best part of this catch is Don released it to get bigger!