scouting trip and fishing in vermont

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
fishy1
Species: many species

scouting trip and fishing in vermont

Post by fishy1 »

3/6/2018 well today i got out and headed for vermont at my old fishing spots i havent fished since the 80,s. a few members and others have asked me to buy my vt license again and give it a try. took the lake road over into vergennes checking out some of my bullhead spots but i really wanted to target bigger fish today such as eyes so i headed for otter creek. drove a ways down and decided go down towards the lake. i was expecting a freind from there to join me at some point and time but that didnt happen. when i got there there were at least 3 eagles on the other side. will post some pics. anyhow i was set up fishing a crawler on bottom and would cast and jig with the other. used a sonar ist then tried streamers and jigs. o hits and nothing on bottom either at 9:30 am. so i changed to a 3/8 ounce bell sinker on the casting one with a ball jig head and a crawler and would let it roll in the current and keep tossing it back out . about the 10 th time or so it stopped rolling no tug so jerked the rod thinking im stuck but no i wasnt fish on and a good fighter. about 1/4 ways in it came off. felt like a fighting eye but ill never know. another hour no hits so went home and did some more scouting . the highlight of the morning was getting out again where i fished many years ago and the eagles were a bonus. hope to get back there soon.
drove down to the mouth of otter to take a couple of picsImageImage
fishy1

Re: scouting trip and fishing in vermont

Post by fishy1 »

3/10/2018 went back over this morning to vt do some more scouting and some fishing hopeing for a walleye. arrived at my ist spot where the eagles are at 8 am after haveing breaksfast at mcdonalds in ferrisburgh. started out with a jig head with a crawler on bottom and casting with my other rod with a sonar. 4th cast lost the sonar got hung up. so i put on a light sinker and a jig head to roll on the bottom with a crawler. hung up again . this spot was wearing on me already. tried again a few times rolling in the current on bottom with no luck. so so i added another sinker tossed it as far as could let it settle and stop and just left it there. the next 2 and half hours one bite caught a yellow perch. got im my pickup and went to another spot where are i used to fish bullhead in the 70,s. put a 3/8 ounce sinker on each line with one hook set above the sinker added a piece of crawler and within 5 minutes a bite and i land a decent size bullhead. fished another 15 minutes and landed another nice bullhead. both were released this time. had plan on hitting a stream or 2 over there to for steelhead but didnt went down and checked out some more fishing spots then went home. the wind was then getting nasty anyhow. i had a decent day cold but no wind most of the morning. looks like i might be going back for some of the tasty bullhead soon.Image
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice report! I hope to see you on this side of the lake soon!
I'm ready to quit ice fishing for the season-- time to leave the heavy gear and float suit at home!
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

I keep looking over my shoulder for you..... Thought i would see you yesterday in your early spring spot.
Todd
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/15/2018 well today walleye season closes until the ist saturday in may. so i decided to go over on vt side and try and catch one. well it didnt happen got hung up 3 times lost 3 lures and no hits. ugh! i am very surprised the waters over there are semi clear for this time of year.
crazy ivan (todd) you can start looking over your shoulder now i might be there. :lol: :lol:
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Time for some salmon eh Matt?
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

I was going to fish for walleye that day, but I got distracted trying to find steelhead on the way there. Didn't catch any.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/25/2017 got up this morning with a 10 mph north wind blowing sent channelcat a text to see if he was fishing came back said it was windy and cold but caught 3 bullhead. so i decided to driver over and join him. got there around 9 am and as soon as i got there scott landed a good size bullhead. went a half hour with not a nibble on my 2 rods and scott landed another. i was using cralwers and scott shrimp. so i kept thinking if was tossing my crawler out far enough so reeled in both rods and tossed them out another 25 feet and wow it didnt take long for some steady action . i was sitting in the car and watching my rods because of the wind and cold. scott says you better stay in that hot seat ha ha. after that scotts bite had slowed and it seemed like i had him cut off now. landed a good size yellow perch to. just after noon i started to not feeling well and scott was pulling in his rods so i went home also. a fun 3 hours for me. gave the bullhead and perch to scott as he has to work tommorrow and i might go back. ImageImage
ImageImageImage