Westport - 12/9

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Westport - 12/9

Post by ChessieMan »

Well, I think I may have disappointed my Mentors today. Blended their advice and instead of fishing out of Port Henry, launched at Westport and blasted to Whalon's right off - with a southeast wind I figured I could fish behind Split Rock and be sheltered and then get beat-up crossing to VT side above Diamond Island and fish in calmer water on the way home and actually, all that worked.

What didn't work were my lures - made 5 big east/west loops following other boats in Whalon's and not a single nibble.

At 10 AM, I decided to cut my losses and left the shelter of Split Rock heading for Diamond Island. Got rocked crossing, but not too bad. Once I got in the lee of the east it was pretty nice. Finally got a bite on the south side of Diamond, a 20" laker - but Hey, it was better than anything else I'd caught!

Marked a lot of fish around Green "51" but couldn't get them to bite. Finally got to Scotch Bonnet about 12:30 and the unthinkable happened - Not One, But TWO!!! bites - one right after the other and this is what they were.

I made 2 more runs on the same line, but to no avail - so today, I went to play with the "Big Boys" and got spanked, maybe I should stay in my own backyard.

But, 3 bites, 3 fish - guess I shouldn't complain - as you can see in the pic's Purple/black (the laker too) - don't leave home without one.

Very interesting ride home, the farther south I got the harder it snowed, ground was covered in Stillwater. The Town snow plow just went by. I think I'm going to take a couple days off, lick my wounds and salve my ego (and stay warm).
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Westport - 12/9

Post by fishy1 »

turned out great ed . at least the black/purple worked. saw you i think making the swing in whallons i was on shore. the big white boat that launched in westport didnt do well either i think he was heading out at 11 am. those are hogs.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice job Chessie Man, those are dark fish, almost unclear as to whether they may be brownies. Maybe just returned spawners? You have certainly earned your stripes.
Got to love Scotch Bonnet, by the way
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice! Haha all the tackle shops are sold out of black and purple.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Ed, I think it was your lack of familiarity with the area rather than the lures...keep at it and try the same areas at different times of the year. Nice browns and still not a bad day all things considered.
Last edited by jimbow on Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
nhjim
Species: coldwater

Post by nhjim »

have fished out of converse 3 days over the last 2 weekends and have found fish in different places all 3 days. also for us it has been different spoon colors each day even with similar weather conditions. only consistent has been a wonder bread dattilos spoon as a slider and oddly enough hasent seemed to matter what depth rigger was at just seems to produce.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

nhjim wrote:only consistent has been a wonder bread dattilos spoon as a slider and oddly enough hasent seemed to matter what depth rigger was at just seems to produce.
Good Teaching Point (GTP).

When one lure keeps producing over all others, it is usually because something(s) is different:

1. Perfect speed for this lure.
2. Previously bent and "restored".
3. Different color ... check with UV Light.
4. How it is attached to the line.
5. Where is it in your pattern.
6. Different size snaps or snaps vs no snaps
7. Different line.
8. different presentation.
9. NOT LUCK!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

SO Right Jim...
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

tamiron wrote:
nhjim wrote:only consistent has been a wonder bread dattilos spoon as a slider and oddly enough hasent seemed to matter what depth rigger was at just seems to produce.
Good Teaching Point (GTP).

When one lure keeps producing over all others, it is usually because something(s) is different:

1. Perfect speed for this lure.
2. Previously bent and "restored".
3. Different color ... check with UV Light.
4. How it is attached to the line.
5. Where is it in your pattern.
6. Different size snaps or snaps vs no snaps
7. Different line.
8. different presentation.
9. NOT LUCK!
Think I may print this and tape it to my dash...

Thanks Jim.
Matt B
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

[/quote]

Thanks Jim. [/quote].

You're welcome. There are additional reasons ... the posting of other "reasons" would be appreciated./Jim
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

tamiron wrote:
Thanks Jim. [/quote].

You're welcome. There are additional reasons ... the posting of other "reasons" would be appreciated./Jim[/quote]
Having confidence in your lure, especially after hours of no bites on any lure. Sometimes the active pattern may be changed out and miss the bite entirely.
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

[quote="C-Hawk Having confidence in your lure, especially after hours of no bites on any lure. Sometimes the active pattern may be changed out and miss the bite entirely.[/quote]

Whenever I "find" a hot lure, I put it in small box with other hot lures. Some anglers call this their tournament box. But it certainly helps the confidence on a slower day!

1.Wrong speed
2.Wrong temperature
3.No bait
4.No structure
5.Unknown Current
6.Wrong direction
7.Not knowing where thermocline is
8.Not paying attention to Light conditions, wave actions, water turbidity

The above all trump color. Especially no log books with history of successes and failures
to help you from reliving history and mistakes!
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

tamiron wrote:[quote="C-Hawk Having confidence in your lure, especially after hours of no bites on any lure. Sometimes the active pattern may be changed out and miss the bite entirely.
Whenever I "find" a hot lure, I put it in small box with other hot lures. Some anglers call this their tournament box. But it certainly helps the confidence on a slower day!

1.Wrong speed
2.Wrong temperature
3.No bait
4.No structure
5.Unknown Current
6.Wrong direction
7.Not knowing where thermocline is
8.Not paying attention to Light conditions, wave actions, water turbidity

The above all trump color. Especially no log books with history of successes and failures
to help you from reliving history and mistakes![/quote]

Jim, you hit the nail on the head with this one too....Too many people will fish an area just because they always do...I have advised ChessieMan to try "new waters" and change presentation if the fish aren't in his normal haunts. Too many get in a rut, do the same runs, same depths, same color/type/weight lures and expect the same results every time just because it worked one time...it's not going to happen.

On your points Jim I'd like to add:

# 3, # 4 & # 8 are many times related....bait will feed open water SOMETIMES but many times they are relating to structure (including water clarity or lack of) or WIND/WAVES or the water turbidity & clarity because they got blown into a piece of water....pay attention to the direction the wind is blowing, seek bait in the direction the wind is blowing (ie: wind blowing from west seek bait on the east shore or if it's a north/south look for possible "scum lines" ).

# 6 is related to # 5 & # 1... in many cases, unseen or unknown currents effect SPEED at the "ball" and in turn effects speed of the lure and IT'S presentation. That's where you should check your "Fish Hawk" for speeds AT THE LURE, not the surface, especially IF YOU HOOK UP (ie: note the speed you hooked at with a PARTICULAR lure in the direction your were going, even if you don't have a fish hawk). Many lures are speed sensitive and could be corrected with attaching to the line in various ways (See Jim's past posts on that) or change the WEIGHT of the spoon/lure to compensate for faster/slower speeds if you have no choice to travel in that direction do to wind/waves.

#7 & # 2 will be a points that many will contest...During the little bit warmer months, just because you dropped your probe and hit 55 degrees does mean you reached the thermocline...sometimes you have to find that water where the BIG break in temp is in COLDER water. This where the lighter water hits the heavy water because it effects the amount of OXYGEN that is contained in that water, not just the temp they normally prefer.... It could be 45 degrees before you hit the actual thermocline. The fish will tell you where it is, use your electronics and if the fish aren't in the 55 degree water, search until you find fish on your electronics and drop a probe or lure to that depth and see what the temp is or if you hook up. Both salmon and trout will come out of "temp" to feed but will return to their "comfort zone" shortly there after.... Not all "deep fish" are necessarily "Lakers"....
Last edited by jimbow on Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChessieMan
Species: trout/salmon

Post by ChessieMan »

Most, if not all of you guys don't know I am a member of NYS Outdoor Writers and write weekly column for our local paper - below is an excerpt from next week's article;

".... my “lucky” lures from 2016 “stunk-out” the lake this year and I stubbornly resisted trying others. There was a distinct lack of bait where I normally fish and again, I stubbornly resisted exploring areas where I knew fish were being caught. As a result, by the time I accepted the need for change, I missed some really good fishing..."

Guilty as Charged! I even knew it and still did it - provides more support to Jim M's and JimBow's comments - someday I'll learn.

And that's why I like this Forum.
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

ChessieMan wrote:Most, if not all of you guys don't know I am a member of NYS Outdoor Writers and write weekly column for our local paper - below is an excerpt from next week's article;

".... my “lucky” lures from 2016 “stunk-out” the lake this year and I stubbornly resisted trying others. There was a distinct lack of bait where I normally fish and again, I stubbornly resisted exploring areas where I knew fish were being caught. As a result, by the time I accepted the need for change, I missed some really good fishing..."

Guilty as Charged! I even knew it and still did it - provides more support to Jim M's and JimBow's comments - someday I'll learn.

And that's why I like this Forum.
Ed, we are ALL still learning something new everyday and if you don't then you're doing something wrong. The fact you realized that you now have to change your "routine" from time to time means you're on the right path. Take what you have learned and apply it to the conditions...Please don't beat your self up...I am not saying give up all your "habits" but be open to change if they're not working and you'll be more consistent in your catching ability.