Westport - 12/9

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: Westport - 12/9

Post by tamiron »

Jimbow & ED ... I completely agree!

In an earlier thread I was commenting on an ACTION PLAN that would narrow in on the causes as to why the fishing was so bad ... like cormorants, etc

http://www.lakechamplainunited.com/foru ... CTION+PLAN

I haven't been any closer than 700 miles from Champlain in the last 12 years except for my once or twice a year pilgrimage to Pittsburgh, PA, to visit my Son and his family.

Although I have no first hand experience to draw from, I do talk to quite a few of my customers who do their best to keep me informed. But I have to admit that when I started the ACTION PLAN thread I
ass u me d
that the great Champlain salmon fishery was in significant trouble.

Now having read the "Greatest frostbite fishing in 37 years" from Digitrol, whom I greatly respect and have so noted on the forum, I only have one question ... WHERE DID ALL THE FISH COME FROM???

I talked about searching for a new platform and I think I've found it. There are enough anglers who are willing to share and next year we can focus on the question WHERE ALL THE FISH TODAY. If anglers prefer, I will start a thread on the forum and/or provide a weekly news letter to give everyone a place to learn, improve, exchange ideas, and think outside of the box.

I would hope that the forum administrators and/or Ludo would give me/us a separate forum called TROUT AND SALMON TACTICS, so as to separate this teaching area from those who aren't interested or feel it to be an intrusion on existing forums. / Jim
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Jim, I hope the forum Administrators will take your advise....sounds like a viable plan... ;)
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Breaking down the numbers:

April was fantastic then May-September was the slowest for us in 37 years. October 8th - December 6th the best fishing in 37 years for trophy fish. We did catch all sizes and year classes of fish during this window.

The Shootout produced the best group of fish based on numbers above 20" and weight that ranks first or 2nd in the 10 years of this event.

A tale of two cities.

April 13th 25.5" released caught off an Offshore Tackle OR-12 walleye board:

Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Just going to say one more time, fishing (other than the rotary derby) was off the hook good this year. July and August have turned into banner months for us the past 4 years. We caught fish from all the years class. We contribute this change in fish location to water levels and bait changing its location. i do understand that the northern part of the lake has been a hard place to locate fish but from Converse south has been outstanding all year. It was a flash back year for us fishing in some old forgotten spots using some 80's style gear!
Changing location and fishing styles to match past years conditions allowed us to say with fish all year.
Todd
Todd
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Crazy Ivan wrote:Just going to say one more time, fishing (other than the rotary derby) was off the hook good this year. July and August have turned into banner months for us the past 4 years. We caught fish from all the years class. We contribute this change in fish location to water levels and bait changing its location. i do understand that the northern part of the lake has been a hard place to locate fish but from Converse south has been outstanding all year. It was a flash back year for us fishing in some old forgotten spots using some 80's style gear!
Changing location and fishing styles to match past years conditions allowed us to say with fish all year.
Todd
x2
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

DELETED BY TAMIRON
Last edited by tamiron on Tue Dec 19, 2017 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Crazy Ivan

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Jim,
Sadly you are wrong Jim (and passive aggressive) I did comment on some posts earlier this year when the whole gloom and doom post were started. I clearly stated then and will do so again that ALL of our salmon year classes are still in lake Champlain and the fishing was and still is fantastic.
I will not post fishing reports on the forum any longer but, Any forum member that wants to contact me can reach me through private messaging, I will try and help anyone I can. Don’t be shy people contact me all the time.
Todd
Todd
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

Don't want to get in the middle of anything but I for one would appreciate it if you would keep posting Todd.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

dry net wrote:Don't want to get in the middle of anything but I for one would appreciate it if you would keep posting Todd.
x2
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

I don't no you Todd but i like your post especially the ones from the Southern part of the lake.
I hope you keep posting also.
DON
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

DELETED BY TAMIRON
Last edited by tamiron on Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

tamiron wrote:Todd:

"In closing, Todd, you aren’t punishing me by not posting on the forum, it is the anglers who need you the most that will be hurt the most. I ask you to reconsider! /Jim
"

Todd, to quote Sawyer (Don) also, "I Don't know you" but I know of you..and your reputation and as a tackle Manufacturer as well as a forum member .... Your knowledge is invaluable to the ALL the members of the forum. I think a lot of the members are passionate about certain things and have maybe posted in haste without all the facts, were ill-informed or just un-aware of certain aspects and regretted it later....INCLUDING myself. So I join ALL the other members (which includes Jim M) that have posted on this thread to ask you to re-consider your decision not to post again and mend any loose boards in the fence so we can ALL get the most out of this forum.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

It has been mentioned before here about the migration of folks from this forum to other social media like Facebook and the use of Smart phones via texts sharing photos and details amongst a smaller subset of folks. I know some people don't like those forms of media but its been a natural progression due to technology advances. It's not meant to shun those still on the forum. It's an easier way to post and share information not to mention quicker in real time. Would everyone like to go back to the golden age of the forum when it was the only method? Some would and some wouldn't. It's just the way it has progressed. Some people don't like it and others embrace it the newer easier quicker technology. Some folks like Facebook to simply not draw darts thrown at them by some past folks or question them in a way that is confrontational that was common on past forums. But the biggest reason is the advances in ways to share information that is easier and less time consuming.

If you look at all forums they have gone this way due to technology. I don't post as much as I used to and try to post sometimes. 80% of the time now it's texts and 20% Facebook and United.

I am not saying it's going away it's just the reality of technology advances and the effect change has on existing older technology.
Last edited by digitroll (ron) on Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
dry net
Species: cold water

Post by dry net »

It's not the responsibility of any fisherman to "teach" strangers. If there was another forum for tactics and techniques then those who wanted to could and others that wanted to show fish pics could continue to do so. I have always appreciated the "help" that some anglers on the forum have shared. I haven't tried to help very often yet because frankly I couldn't be much of one. Keep the big fish pics coming, it gives me hope!
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

I joined this forum a couple of years back. I don't personally know many of the members, hence I don't or should I say have not fished with any of them. I have gained a wealth of knowledge from reading posts about equipment and such.
I do not expect members to hold me by the hand or show me the ropes. I believe the best way to catch fish is by putting in your time on the water. I knew from other posts that the place to be this past fishing season was Converse and South. I am out of Colchester with boat in the water, so that wasn't going to happen or at least not in the plans. Oh Well...... I moved on and tried my luck at whatever was available to me.
I appreciate the Forums for what they are.

Thanks All that post!