Converse and Beyond 11/13/17

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Del Gue
Species: Salmon, Pike, Lake Trout

Converse and Beyond 11/13/17

Post by Del Gue »

Hello members,
This will be my first post of the year. Not that I haven’t been out but I have not produced much of anything. I think I have been skunked more times this year than in the last 5 years combined. Prior to today I had caught a total of 2 salmon but with the cold weather and the bite on I was anxious to get out there.
Launched from Malletts Bay and motored just south of Four Brothers. Set up in 160 FOW and headed south. Had the first one in the boat before I finished setting the rods. A nice 17” fat football hooked at 25’ down. Released it from the net so no pictures. The water colum was the same temp (50.7) from the surface to 55’ which was the deepest we fished. Ran the colum from 55’ to the surface in 10’ increments with two more rods long lined back about 120’-150’ both with Yo-Zuri pin minnows.
As we worked the humps the 25’ rigger goes off and bends over nicely. A few minutes later this nice 6.5 lb silver is in the boat.
79B20E51-7930-4D67-9945-F047A38A0357.jpeg
I try not to do photos much but this was the largest silver my father has ever landed. He has lost a number of hogs right behind the boat (mainly due to poor netting :? ) but he was very happy to land this one.
After a laker down at 55’ we decided to try Thompson Pt. We were late to the party as it was now 11. Talking with the boats there we discovered the bite had passed. Went back to our spot along the NY side and trolled north. The forecasted winds of “light and variable winds with waves nearly calm” were now south at 10-15 with waves 1-3 feet.
033797CF-943C-42B5-A9D9-16E033CE3450.jpeg
We pulled up and headed north back to Malletts Bay. We set up again at the drop off of the mouth of the Lamoille River. Fished in 60’ of water and painted plenty of bait but no takers. After an hour we hooked, what I can only guess was a submerged tree. Lines, cannon balls and my Fish Hawk probe :shock: all snagged. After about 15 minutes I was lucky enough to retreve all of my gear.
The hot spoons of the day were CI Minkler, CI Great Gambino and a prototype CI gave me a few years ago. (Don’t know if it’s on the market)
image.jpg
Thanks again for the posts in here. I have been trying anything to get them to bite but it’s been a rough year. Yesterday was the first day where I felt like things were working. We would have boated more fish but I wanted to try out some new spots.
Happy Fishing!
Del
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Converse and Beyond 11/13/17

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice report and great fish! Mallets to Tohmpsons this time of year? Thats adventurous in July! You certainly covered some water!
Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

C-Hawk wrote:Nice report and great fish! Mallets to Tohmpsons this time of year? Thats adventurous in July! You certainly covered some water!
Yeah, I live in Milton and it drives me crazy to have to drive almost an hour to Converse when I’m literally three minutes from the water here at home. I’ve always wanted to make that run and fish a lot of different areas. I watched the weather for the three days prior and all of the forecasts were for light and variable. We covered the distance in about 30 minutes going down. However, coming back was a different story. I never like to see little waves on big waves when I’m fishing out in the middle of the main lake. As we all know, the winds can change in an instant out there.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will go buy a boat.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I went down from Mallets, had a smooth ride down, fought 3 footers at 9 miles an hour on the way back. But I agree with you, you can make it quicker than by car on a good day, but more gas by boat. I think I've done it 3 times over the years, hitting 5 or 6 different spots along the way.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

that is a nice salmon. im pretty sure is saw you past by. great report.
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Nice salmon del! Those 6lb ers make it all worth it! So much fun!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Very nice report... Was wondering where your reports were... Glad to hear your dad got his personal best....

It's on!
Matt B
finsntins
Species: salmon

Post by finsntins »

nice fish,congrats!!!
Miss B.Haven' sportfishing
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Glad you had better luck than me yesterday. I tried Willsboro for a couple of hours and only had one empty release with nothing on the sonar above 100'. I should've headed south toward the radio chatter.

And yeah, flat ride over from Burlington but bumpy and cold on the way home. Nice scenery though. I was the only boat in the bay other than a duck Hunter.

Del Gue

Post by Del Gue »

Reelax wrote:Very nice report... Was wondering where your reports were... Glad to hear your dad got his personal best....

It's on!
:lol: I could have written a lot of posts this year. They would have all gone like this..”hit the water at 6:00am, off at 2:00pm. Didn’t catch a fish”.
It’s nice to have them hitting again!
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Nice! Sounds like a good adventure. Thanks for the info!