Converse and Whallons - 11/12

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Converse and Whallons - 11/12

Post by tmcaul »

My son and I trusted Sunday's weather forecast and the prediction of diminishing winds. Arrived at Converse launch about 10:30 and found continuing strong south-southwest winds and whitecaps on the broad lake.

Set up two riggers and two dipseys in lee of Garden Island and trolled southwest towards Thompson's Point. Small Honeybee spoons on all lines. Riggers about 65' and 75' down.

Picked up a small salmon almost immediately. Then a small lake trout. Saw another boat hugging Garden Island headed south and saw them land a fish. Wind started dying down so wave height started dropping and we decided to troll across the lake to Split Rock. Caught another salmon about 400 yards off Split Rock. Trolled up to Essex and back to Split Rock. More small salmon and lake trout. 9 for 11 overall, five salmon total. Lost one good fish fumbling with drag with my gloves on. Bite pretty much ended as lake flattened out. Marked lots of bait and fish around 100'-120' on both sides of lake.

Two thoughts, first with confidence and second with much less certainty: 1) fish are much more active now and 2) based on first salmon we caught off Garden Island and another salmon caught basically in the broad lake, salmon seem spread out.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Converse and Whallons - 11/12

Post by fishy1 »

great report. pretty sure i saw you out there and another boat in front of us at whallons. the wind was still pretty bad then.
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Great report Tom, I'm glad you guys are getting out,stay at it you'll get em! There's a 10lber swimming around out there with your name on it!
tmcaul

Post by tmcaul »

@fishy1...were you out there in a boat (we only saw one or two) over in Whallons or fishing from shore?

@controlled chaos...we hope your wish for us, a 10lber is partially fulfilled. My son and I would gladly settle for a 6lber like you caught the day of the Frostbite Shootout.

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

Great! Thanks for the report!
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

tmcaul wrote:@fishy1...were you out there in a boat (we only saw one or two) over in Whallons or fishing from shore?

@controlled chaos...we hope your wish for us, a 10lber is partially fulfilled. My son and I would gladly settle for a 6lber like you caught the day of the Frostbite Shootout.

Tom
i was on shore just north of there . i always stop at whallons to watch the fish busting water and there was one boat there casting and another boat trolling at split rock.
tmcaul

Post by tmcaul »

@fishy1...we often take a break in Essex for a late breakfast or lunch at the Pink Pig. We'll keep an eye out for you. You might recall that we spoke to you and C-hawk at Point Bay after the weigh-in at the Shootout.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Good Luck to everyone who is still fishing! I have winterized Threebuoys and she's done until April.
I was running my little Yamaha 9.9 in the driveway yesterday, and my neighbor asked me what speed it will push the sawhorse.......I guess you had to be there.....
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Pink pig? There's a diner we're ferry docks?? That's priceless info thanks Tom! We were out there a few weeks back and our sandwiches got a little to moist so we didn't eat. Now I know there's a place!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Hey Tom, nice post. Where do you tie up when you go to the Pink Pig? This could be huge for frostbiters. Also do I need to wear my Birkenstocks?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

tmcaul wrote:@fishy1...we often take a break in Essex for a late breakfast or lunch at the Pink Pig. We'll keep an eye out for you. You might recall that we spoke to you and C-hawk at Point Bay after the weigh-in at the Shootout.
sent you a pm
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Controlled chaos wrote:Pink pig? There's a diner we're ferry docks?? That's priceless info thanks Tom! We were out there a few weeks back and our sandwiches got a little to moist so we didn't eat. Now I know there's a place!
thats what i said . my freind eric lives there and he didnt mention that just the inn for dinners.
tmcaul

Post by tmcaul »

Where do you dock and eat in Essex?

Earlier in the year we would use one of the slips at the Old Dock restaurant but only in the AM before that restaurant opened. The docks have been pulled at the Old Dock, so we have been using the pier just to the south of the restaurant. This is a little informal, but I believe the cottages that paid to rebuild the seawall and pay for the maintenance of the pier have closed for the season. We have only tied up there 3-4 times and no one has complained or approached us.

Once this summer we had a late lunch at the Essex Inn. It happened to be Mother's Day and they were open. Staff couldn't have been nicer. We were told there is a public dock adjacent to the Essex Marine Base. This is a little further from the Pink Pig, so we never tried docking at this spot. The people at the Essex Inn told us that if we tied up at the Essex Marine Base and were charged, the Essex Inn would provide a free appetizer to compensate. As fishy1 mentioned, the Essex Inn is open for dinners...we just lucked out on Mother's Day.

There was another food spot in Essex just up the hill from the Essex Marine Base, but last summer the chef went out one night and tragically fell overboard and drowned. This restaurant had at least one place to dock (within the Essex Marine Base) but I don't know whether the restaurant remained open after the chef died.

The Old Dock may be open again next June-September. Time will tell. The operators had a terrible time obtaining a license to serve alcohol last summer. Slips there are numerous and they welcome boaters.

I would say the Pink Pig could use some business, so give it a try. I would call first...I don't know if they're open all year.

Bon appetit!

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

the pink pig is open every day that i have gone through there will stop tommorrow and get there hours. dont think they open to early though
beggs park has a dock you could tie up to and walk down but dont know if i would leave it there with all the public access.
the other side of the marina where they are rebuilding you can launch a boat there for $10 so maybe you could just pull in there and walk down to one of the places. ill check with justin green who takes care of that part .
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

i talked to justin green this morning caretaker of the marina he said there is a $10 charge to launch there and park your boat there. its an honor system with a red box on the side. its not the ist marina where there rebuilding the dock it next to,its on the south side.