Winooski River

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
TUnamas

Winooski River

Post by TUnamas »

It's as low as I've seen it, but I gave it a shot this morning and I'm glad I did. Not only was the weather beautiful, but the fish liked bead head estaz pheasant tails (cream estaz over a dark green floss body with pheasant tails and wing case: size 10). The bead head was plenty of weight in the low flows. After landing/releasing two on the dead drift (including a 34" fish that was the biggest salmon I've taken in Vermont) I hooked a third. Knowing there was a father with his young son fishing worms under a bobber on a toy rod a bit downstream, I hollared down to see if the kid wanted to play a salmon. The six year old kid managed my 5 wt switch rod OK, and after learning that he had to let the reel handle go when the fish ran, he settled in and the 6 year old landed a 6 pound salmon. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera with me and neither did they. The kid wanted to keep the salmon to show his mother and the father assured me they'd make a meal of it. I think we converted a future forum member today. HUGE SMILES!!
popster
Species: Salmo Salar Sebago

Re: Winooski River

Post by popster »

That's so cool Scott. That's something that kid will remember the rest of his life. Nice fish, my friend.
Shootout?
Bill
"POINTER"
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Yes, we will be at the Shootout. Give us a shout.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

That's a great story, Maybe have to get himself a fly rod? 34 " salmon, that is huge!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

C-Hawk wrote:That's a great story, Maybe have to get himself a fly rod? 34 " salmon, that is huge!

Would have been Vermont record if weighed...I think the current record fish was 32"
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

that is awsome letting a 6 year old land that salmon. my hats off to you. congrats also on landing a 34 inch salmon incredible. wished you had a camera would have been awsome to see that kid landing the salmon. :D
homewrecker
Species: salmon,mermaids

Post by homewrecker »

way to share the love of the sport!
fishfarmer
Species: Piscies

Post by fishfarmer »

Early bird gets the worm...awesome to hear of 34" fish coming to net!

I walked one of my local streams for salmon yesterday and never had seen it as low.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Nice!!!!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen