Hatchery brook 10/13

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Hatchery brook 10/13

Post by C-Hawk »

Stopped by today and there were 6 large salmon in the pool with maybe as many breaching in the cove. Watched a dedicated flyfisherman catch and release a large female, maybe 7 or 8 pounds when a young man came down with spinning gear, a Kastmaster with trebles. He asked if they were biting or if you need to snag them. I had to leave , but ended up talking with his father in the lot. Soon the kid came up with a beautiful 8 pound male and put it in the cooler of a big tan Cadillac. I don't know if he snagged it or not, but I had to leave by then. His nonchalant attitude suggested that it was business as usual for this guy. I guess it's time to put the whole cove off limits. Even with the fly guys, they block the brook so no fish can get by .
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Hatchery brook 10/13

Post by Reelax »

I think I'll start going down and shooting video. This makes me sick.
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

jeff snagging is a problem just about everywhere. they might need to regulate no weights and floating lures only like here in ny on most of the streams. 1 stream at home which is small is closed now until jan ist because of non sportsman . wasnt there a case of a guy spearing them there at night and selling them?
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Reelax wrote:I think I'll start going down and shooting video. This makes me sick.
x2
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Yes a guy was caught there 2 years ago, paid a substntial fine. Former town official. Outside the sporting world, fish and game violations are concidered no more of a crime than a parking ticket. The brook over there is off limits, but it is only 3 feet wide and at most 6 inches deep, except for the pool at the road, maybe 100 feet from the Lake. People fish the current where it goes into the lake, but no fish in their right mind will swim between someone's legs to get up to the pool and hatchery beyond, just to spawn. I suppose many run at night, but who knows what happens then.
Bocco
Species: The ones that bite

Post by Bocco »

Why don't they just close it in the fall, as they do the Salmon hole in the spring??
Is it because they will not be able to reproduce there?
F&W collects fish there and strips the eggs correct? Makes sense to close it.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Traci and I stopped there Friday night it was Two hours after dark and their were 3 cars there and they were fishing.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Just the fact of a ten pound salmon swimming around their feet makes many anglers do unethical things. Also, I have been there many times and with a training facility right accross the street, I have never seen a warden parked there. Too worried about duck hunting?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I have emailed F and W about this issue and I would encourage all ethecial fisherman to do so also, even the fly fisherman who practice catch and release. This is getting out of hand. Do you think a snagger will stop at 2? These fish are the progeny of our fishery, the ones that have survived cormorants.
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Agreed. The cove should be roped off from September-December 1st. I've seen some crazy shit up there which has made me stop going back.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Here is the email address for comment at F and W
fwinformation@vermont.gov
I would hope that legitimate fly fishermen get on board with banning fishing there or use the power of your organizations to at least push for catch and release.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I just sent my email... thanks Jeff... this needs to be done by all.. this area should be closed.
Matt B
Salmon-crazy
Species: Salmon, trout, bass, pike

Post by Salmon-crazy »

Hi all, as I am fairly new to the Salmon here in Lake Champlain (but not new to Lake Champlain) I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on Hatchery Brook. Is this a brook in Vt? Is it part of the hatchery program there? Reason I ask - I just got back from a fish trip in Altmar, NY for monster Chinooks (and I mean monsters). The hatchery there has a brook that runs from the Salmon River to the hatchery and its off limits. I don't think you'd want to be seen any where near that brook with a fishing rod in your hands. Perhaps the same could be done for this brook?
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Hatchery brook is a man made brook from excess water flowing out of a settlement pond. The water comes from wells used in the tanks where fish are grown. I think , but don't quote me that the water is discharged because it is no longer cool enough for fish. Salmon run up the shallow brook to a trap at the base of the pond, where they are taken for their eggs and milt. The brook is very shallow and narrow and runs a total of maybe 200 yards from the Lake to pond. It is closed to fishing. The problem lies at the confluence where salmon gather in a cove partially created by the ferry dock. On a good day there could be 50 or more salmon breaching in an area maybe an acre in size, getting ready to make their run. The lake is general law and no special regulations. Over the years it has become more and more popular as fish returns have increased. The state has even made a fishing access here.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I should also add, these fish are almost impossible to catch legally, they simply do not bite, and in case there are misinformed or just plain ignorant fishermen out there, these fish do not die like their Lake O cousins. This is a common argument out there, "Well, there just going to die anyway".