Hatchery brook 10/13

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Re: Hatchery brook 10/13

Post by BottomDollar »

For those unfamiliar with the term, flossing is "fishing" in a river or stream with a long leader with a normal presentation at the end. You cast it upriver and let the leader drift horizontally across the water column. Since salmon always swim straight upstream, some of them will run right into the long leader with their mouths, and keep going until they get to the hook. It's just a more sophisticated method of snagging, and it's hard to accuse someone of doing it even if you know they are, because it's a traditional setup just with a long leader.
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

TUnamas wrote:
Adkhare wrote:
fishy1 wrote:night fishing in most champlain tributaries in ny such as the saranac river is not allowed.
I agree time limits would help but I cannot seem to find in the regulation book where the ny tribs have special hours. Where did you find that ? Even making some more catch and release only areas would help at least people could still fish. Sadly there is always someone crookedly bending the rules we’ll never stop them all unfortunately.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ ... hguide.pdf
Here is the current regulation booklet for NY. Check page 29 for Champlain tributary special regulations which prohibit angling between 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise from June 15 to Dec 31.
Got it.. thanks I looked online through the DEC site and couldn’t find anything who’d of thought it would be in the book... :D thanks again
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Tell tale sign of a flossed fish is the hook will be imbedded on the outside of the jawbone instead of inside the mouth
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

I remember a guy my dad knew would sit in a rowboat in the mouth of the salmon river in 2 feet of water out in the middle and would target a big king and watch it open and close it's mouth resting in the current. Sitting literally right on top of the fish in that rowboat he would wait till the fish opened it's mouth to set the hook as he made attempts to get the hook close to it's open and closing mouth.

It's amazing how creative people are with a process like snagging to make it appear legal.

Good things never happen after dark with a spawning fish situation.

I watched a guy casting a spoon at the salmon hole a few weeks ago and he had a weight 4 feet above that spinner. Flossing?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Snaggers get the cream of the crop
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

If you read my Email i invited the VTF&W board and the Commissioner to join the forum.
So maybe they're reading this?????
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:If you read my Email i invited the VTF&W board and the Commissioner to join the forum.
So maybe they're reading this?????
we certainly hope so.
troutcrazy
Species: crappie, trout, salmon, perch

Post by troutcrazy »

How many fish do you think are snagged each year?
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

troutcrazy wrote:How many fish do you think are snagged each year?
Hundreds at the hatchery
Honest John
Species: All interested parties

Post by Honest John »

Digitroll (Ron) wrote: I watched a guy casting a spoon at the salmon hole a few weeks ago and he had a weight 4 feet above that spinner. Flossing?

Not a very effective technique for flossing. Fresh fish will sometimes hit a spinner.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I can't imagine that more than 1 or 2 are caught legally every day, even at the peak of the run.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Well, I got a response back from the Governor's office, which I appreciate, but, it was essentially a photo copy of the letter Don got from F and W. I emailed right back that many of us are not as concerned about impeding the spawning process as the fact that a few yahoos are pilfering trophy fish. The State seems almost like they are condoning the snagging by telling us that they get enough fish for eggs. I don't think they even realize the amount of snagging that goes on there. As Trump would say, sad.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

C-Hawk wrote:Well, I got a response back from the Governor's office, which I appreciate, but, it was essentially a photo copy of the letter Don got from F and W. I emailed right back that many of us are not as concerned about impeding the spawning process as the fact that a few yahoos are pilfering trophy fish. The State seems almost like they are condoning the snagging by telling us that they get enough fish for eggs. I don't think they even realize the amount of snagging that goes on there. As Trump would say, sad.

Amen to that! I got the same feeling Jeff, these aren't Kings or Cohos (which die during the spawn) but they they seem to think so (or worse, don't care). Problem is many people in politics or in charge of the departments don't hunt or fish so they don't a clue, at least it seems like it here in N.Y.
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

How many fish are legally caught depends on how many people are legally fishing. I don't care to fish that close to idiots. Having said that I have caught a few on a given day. I do not care to eat these fish, and therefore I keep very few. If these fish are not harassed, and you fish gracefully, like with flies, these fish can and do bite. One cast with a spoon or 1/2 oz of lead and the game is over. Closing off places to fish is not the answer, Enforcement, Education, and YOU doing your part to report and challenge violators will certainly help.
Riddler
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Re: Hatchery brook 10/31

Post by Wdrnr »

Today’s look at the pool below the road showed the most fish I have seen thus far . I would say there were 8-10 decent sized fish in the pool although nothing above 5 lbs. up the brook several pairs
Finning in the fast water . Haven’t seen the hatchery folks but the truck was in position so I missed them