Hatchery brook 10/13

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Re: Hatchery brook 10/13

Post by Z.G »

Banning the night fishing is a great start. Greg- I agree with you, you can definitely get lakers at night. However, you can easily get them during the day as well. Better to let the salmon/browns be!
TUnamas

Post by TUnamas »

Adkhare wrote:
fishy1 wrote:night fishing in most champlain tributaries in ny such as the saranac river is not allowed.
I agree time limits would help but I cannot seem to find in the regulation book where the ny tribs have special hours. Where did you find that ? Even making some more catch and release only areas would help at least people could still fish. Sadly there is always someone crookedly bending the rules we’ll never stop them all unfortunately.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_ ... hguide.pdf
Here is the current regulation booklet for NY. Check page 29 for Champlain tributary special regulations which prohibit angling between 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise from June 15 to Dec 31.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

I emailed the VTF&W Board with our concerns pertaining the Hatchery Brook. I received a email today from Louis Porter Commissioner Vermont Fish & Wildlife Dept. I would like to put my email that i sent and the replay on the forum for every one to read. If any one knows how to post an email on here let me know. Or i can send you the Emails by emailing me and i will forward them to you.
(donsawyer710@aol.com)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

I havent heard anything back from the governor's office. Usually they at least acknowledge receipt of email.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

What did Porter say Don?
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Don,

I see this message came in to the ANR information email, and I hope you know that you can always email me (or anyone at this Department) directly. My email is louis.porter@vermont.gov.
Please distribute the following to those of the Champlain United members who you believe would be interested.

LP

We have discussed ways to limit fishing (and snagging) in the bay near hatchery brook a number of times over the years. We drafted a proposal several years ago to prohibit fishing in a 100 yard semi-circle around the mouth of the brook but decided not to move it forward for Board review because we were concerned that it would not have been enforceable. We (with the help of the Board) have also recently strengthened the ability of the Wardens to enforce against those intentionally snagging fish, and, of course, we prevent fishing in Hatchery Brook itself.

Most of the public complaints we have received, and we have gotten a few recently, have been about daytime snagging, so I am not sure that a closure during the nighttime-only would receive much support.

There is a public misconception at the heart of this, that the fish are going to spawn in hatchery brook itself. We do take some fish up to the hatchery for spawning, but most years there are far more fish in the brook than we could possibly use. Therefor the angling activity is not really disrupting fish spawning, but it may still be viewed as unethical when the fish are congregated and easy to catch.

We have had similar concerns voiced about snagging or flossing fish on the Clyde River, where we and the Board decided against a request to require unweighted flies and line for fishing there, as we felt that would limit opportunities for many anglers.

We will bring certainly bring this topic up for discussion with the Fish Biologists and the Wardens again, and see if there is some policy or regulation change we should make to address this.

Thank you,

Louis Porter
Commissioner
Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department

To the VTF&W Board
TOPIC Hatchery Brook Grand Isle VT

I am Emailing you on behalf of some of the 1799 Members of the Lake Champlain United.
Some of our members have been observing the fall salmon run at the hatchery brook and in our time spent there have seen the increase in the number of fisherman at the brook entrance And as fisherman ourselves are concerned about the disruption of the salmon that are trying to get up the brook to spawn. Some members including myself have watched fisherman stand in the water at the brook entrance blocking the salmon from moving up the brook. Some times 3 or more at a time. now during the day it’s not that much of a problem it’s when they stay most of the night when most of the salmon go up the brook. I was there last week after dark and 4 men had the brook blocked and this is becoming a nightly event. So after corresponding on our forum and coming up with many different ideas we would like you members to consider having a time limit on fishing the brook entrance. EXAMPLE From 5 am to 9pm Open and 9pm to 5am closed.
We think this would be a good compromise.
The benefits
1. fisherman have a opportunity to fish.
2. salmon can spawn without interruption 3. wardens would have it easier spotting illegal activity

If you could give me/us some feed back on our ideas in this mater it would be greatly appreciated. Also thanks for your hard work as board members. Also you are invited to join us on the Lake Champlain United Forum. It’s very “informative"
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I think that F and W is grossly underestimating the take of trophy fish by illegal fishermen and since the hatchery gets enough eggs, they seem not concerned.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Sounds that way
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

My thought on banning night fishing wasn't so much about letting fish up the brook, but an effective way of eliminating snagging for a twelve hour period. Especially when they are less visible. If they snag during daylight hours, maybe someone sees them. And what is flossing? Never heard that one before.Maybe I shouldn't be informed on here lest some poacher gets educated.
Z.G
Species: Anything that bites

Post by Z.G »

Flossing is a way of snagging that appears as legit fishing. It's extremely popular in Alaska, and basically legal there.

It sounds like they'd be more open to a complete closure than a nighttime closure. I couldn't agree more. Perhaps markers setup to surround where people cannot fish?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Seems they don't care much about these mature salmon. Being harassed. All they have to do is put up signs on shore, closed to fishin for this date to that date. The public would police it. Make the policy and it would work. Thanks for sending it Don. I never got a reply from mine beyond them saying they were forwarding my email around. At least you got a reply.

It would be an easy action, not sure why they don't do it.
Matt B
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I think that they don't want to be seen as favoring one group of fishermen over another. In other words, spineless.
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

Its not about favoring one group over another its about protecting a resource
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Make this as well as all of the tributaries CATCH AND RELEASE only Sept 1st-Jan 1st.
Snaggers will virtually disappear if they cant kept what they snag. That way real fisherman can still enjoy the sport.
Riddler
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

riddlervt wrote:Make this as well as all of the tributaries CATCH AND RELEASE only Sept 1st-Jan 1st.
Snaggers will virtually disappear if they cant kept what they snag. That way real fisherman can still enjoy the sport.
Riddler

Seems like a good idea...
Matt B