Hatchery brook 10/13

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Bocco
Species: The ones that bite

Re: Hatchery brook 10/13

Post by Bocco »

C-Hawk wrote:Hatchery brook is a man made brook from excess water flowing out of a settlement pond. The water comes from wells used in the tanks where fish are grown. I think , but don't quote me that the water is discharged because it is no longer cool enough for fish. Salmon run up the shallow brook to a trap at the base of the pond, where they are taken for their eggs and milt. The brook is very shallow and narrow and runs a total of maybe 200 yards from the Lake to pond. It is closed to fishing. The problem lies at the confluence where salmon gather in a cove partially created by the ferry dock. On a good day there could be 50 or more salmon breaching in an area maybe an acre in size, getting ready to make their run. The lake is general law and no special regulations. Over the years it has become more and more popular as fish returns have increased. The state has even made a fishing access here.
Now I am confused! There is a fishing access there? Why would the state make a fishing access at a spawning ground and not close it during spawning, as they do at the Salmon hole?
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

The access is for the lake and also for viewing the pool below the road. You canot fish the brook! However, it is very shallow where it enters the Lake, and it makes salmon easy to spot.
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Small correction C-Hawk. The water is pumped from the lake from 2 different intakes (40' and 180' I believe), not wells. So it is getting back to the lake it came from cleaner than when it was pumped in through their various filters, treatment systems, and settling areas.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

riverrunner wrote:Small correction C-Hawk. The water is pumped from the lake from 2 different intakes (40' and 180' I believe), not wells. So it is getting back to the lake it came from cleaner than when it was pumped in through their various filters, treatment systems, and settling areas.
Thank-you
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Stopped by the brook outlet yesterday. There were three 'fishermen' at the outlet,two of which were clearly miffed that was watching their 'fishing' method. It's quite amazing how fast they move a hook thru the water when no one is around. Speed fishing I guess..... Pool had 3-4 twenty inch fish that looked clean. Didn't go up the brook. Ditto on the hatchery source water,ripping cold even after passing thru the hatchery.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

So it is totally legal what these guys are doing.
Not sure we should call them fisherman though....
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

That's why the quote marks around fishermen, one of the three was questionable
Controlled chaos
Species: what's biting

Post by Controlled chaos »

Maybe they need to be educated?Wish I lived closer and knew were this place was, but I don't. Go talk to them, tell them how there potentially hurting population numbers...40,000 eggs per pound of fish? 3% survival rate over 1 year
Correct me if I'm off a bit? I fish the CTriver in spring for walleye and have to explain it to at least a dozen "fishermen" every year..... most of them had no idea how bad they affect the population by taking 6lb females...just my 2 cents..
riverrunner
Species: Salmonids

Post by riverrunner »

Your off on the egg count of a female fish. Depending on the size of the female she can have between 2-4 thousand eggs. Eggs are probably 15-20 times bigger than a walleye egg
Controlled chaos

Perfect information! Thank you for the correct numbers.... That's what these guys need to hear....
Controlled chaos

Fishermen who care will listen.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Controlled chaos wrote:Fishermen who care will listen.

I think the folks dragging 8lb fouled hooked spawning beasts up the bank to coolers in trunks aren't fishermen, and they probably won't listen... But it would be great to have you try...
Matt B
bagman
Species: trout

Post by bagman »

I believe the whole cove area should be closed to fishing. If you stop there bring a camera and record what you see and write down license numbers and call a warden. We got a guy snagging on the Winooski a couple years back that way. It was also my understanding that the state installed cameras there also
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Wonder who's idea it was to install a fishing access there?
It should at least be closed during spawning, and stiff fines for those that are caught.
Controlled chaos

It would be fun to go there with a saltwater rod and reel with 100lb braid and every time they cast just cast over the top of there lines and start reeling..... I will bring the pole.... who's gona take the video? Hehe...