ACTION PLAN

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Sawyer
Species: All

Re: ACTION PLAN

Post by Sawyer »

C Hawk is the Email newsletter from the VT F&W ?
The Lake Trout story / Report is mostly about the young non stocked (native) lake trout that were harvested this summer by trawling. when Ellen gets the total results back from her 2017 Lake Trout study
We will have a lot of exciting info to talk about .
I wonder if their's a Salmon study like her Lake trout research.

I think Ellen Marsden would be a good person to have at a seminar.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Yes , find their website, maybe Andy could add a link to suscribe. Ellen has been at seminars and Frostbite tourneys. She is no stranger to LCU
Bocco
Species: The ones that bite

Post by Bocco »

C-Hawk wrote:Yes , find their website, maybe Andy could add a link to suscribe. Ellen has been at seminars and Frostbite tourneys. She is no stranger to LCU
C hawk, maybe you can provide the link? I cant find it either!
When you do I bet many more will subscribe in addition to myself.
Thanks in advance!
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

The address that comes up on my email is fwinformation@vermont.gov. Send them an email and I'm sure they will provide the link.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Did it tonight C Hawk Thanks.
I never met Ellen. I have seen some of her research and find it fascinating and hope to hear more on this years study.
BottomDollar
Species: cold water

Post by BottomDollar »

Here's what I found, it does look pretty comprehensive:

https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com ... cYlA3J62fQ
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Thanks Andy, you ARE the go to guy when it comes to our internent ineptness.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

I am sorry but a new phrase has entered the American language ... False News. I would like to hear from Ellen, herself, before I believe a 35% natural reproduction on Lake Trout. What changed??? From 0 to 35%, please Ellen, tell us this IS true!!

1. I agree with C-Hawk about the confirmation that would come form tracking spawning numbers. This is step one of the proposed action plan.

Who is Brian MacQuarrie of the Boston Globe? A true outdoor writer? Can someone vouch for his accuracy
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

Xcalibur wrote:. As your Canadian neighbor my most prevalent observation this year, is the significant change in the thermocline. The sensors available to us allow to accurately determine where it is situated. In past years and in most reports it was a 30 feet plus/minus 5 feet. This year I found it at 65-85 feet and by reading other reports it was not my FishHawk TD that was at fault. As for my fishing outings, taking in consideration my season started late, it has been the the most difficult season with several outings all we did was wash spoons and lures. We still love to be out on the water and maintain hope for the fishery. Trust the salmon will show up for the Frostbite Derby.
The location of the thermocline is irrelevant as long as long as you locate it and fish it properly. Sine the results were still bad , one has to assume the absence of fish and not the location of the thermocline
tamiron

Post by tamiron »

I have sent a PM to Ellen Marsden to verify that 35% natural reproduction of Lake Trout. I will post her comments on this thread.
Bocco
Species: The ones that bite

Post by Bocco »

BottomDollar wrote:Here's what I found, it does look pretty comprehensive:

https://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com ... cYlA3J62fQ
THANK YOU!
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Jim we definitely have been seeing a few very small none clipped Lake Trout the last couple years and I have been told that Ellen has been getting some very positive results on native fish and I wonder if the Control of Lampreys is what changed. Much healthier fish now than there where 5 years ago should result in much stronger Eggs which could result in stronger young Lake Trout.
When I say much healthier Lake Trout we catch a lot of them in a season and there is no comparison to 5 years ago these fish fight so hard now a 5 lb. fish fights like a 10 pounder use to they are very fat and considerably heaver for there length than they use to be. To clarify one more thing when I said we where not seeing the amount of big Lake Trout we saw several years ago I meant Lake Trout that are over 12lbs there are very few compared to few years ago.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

I also caught more small Lakers than I ever have before at depths more consistent with salmon. Probably a dozen this summer, 10-12 inches. I didn't look for fin clip as I thought they weren't always doing it anymore. I have never caught lakers as small as some were before, ever.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

We caught a lot of small ones this year as well. I don't think I caught any lakers under 20ish inch last year, this year we have landed a ton of little guys. And I agree with Paul the lakers are fighting like crazy this year. We have had a bunch come out of the water salmon style.
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

C-Hawk wrote:I think the run of big lake trout was a product of high fat content alewife only diet we had a few years ago. Believe it or not, we had a day where we boated 20 fish over 10 pounds, including a 15
The big lakers are there. I find that you find them when you locate the adult alewive schools. During derby days i leave areas looking for them as you catch just the run of the mill guys if they are spitting up smelt.