Broad Lake 8/27

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Broad Lake 8/27

Post by keithm87 »

Bluebird skies and light wind called my name sunday. Headed out of shelburne with my buddies vinny and steve. We arrived at around 7:15 to calm waters. Launched and headed toward the hump north of juniper. I finally rigged up the 2 cannon riggers that I bought off a forum member in march. With those wired we were running 4 riggers, and 2 slide divers. sent the same gear out that we were running last week. We found the thermo at 62-64 ft.
The first 40 minutes were uneventful before we finally had a rigger fire. We landed a small laker. Then nothing for the next 40 minutes. What followed that lull was chaos. We were running a ridge, and I was setting a cheater, when one of the riggers fired, we were hooked up, and a slide diver fired, steve hopped on that rod and i grabbed the wheel to keep us from going up the ridge, then another rigger fired. We were hooked up on tripples. after a minute or so my fish got off. we landed the other 2, and as we were trying to get everything situated another rod fired. we ended up landing 6 fish in that area over 30 minutes.
About an hour later we had a rod fire and the drag started to scream. after a 5 minute fight I landed what turned out to be the biggest laker we have landed this year at just under 11lbs.

The surprise of the day came at around 1pm when we again had 3 rods fire in a row, I again lost my fish, but steve had a fish fighting different than the others, I assumed it was a big small mouth, then we got it to the boat and found it was actually a 6lb 24.25 inch whitefish.

We ended the day with 19fish off the water by 3pm most fish came on the spin and glow down put 72 on my trusty big jon, with a few on slide divers, and the rest on my other big jon. Oddly no fish were caught on the newly installed cannon's fished in the same area as the other riggers with similar spoons.
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Re: Broad Lake 8/27

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Keith I have been following your posts since you started!! I have to say how impressed I am at how fast you have become an acomplished fisherman!!! I enjoy your posts and how you dont give up under some tough conditions!!! Keep up the good work and I will keep enjoying your posts!!! Sleeps
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

X2
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Ditto!!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice report Keith... That is a massive whitefish!!! Sounds like it was a good day in the pond and the lakers are schooled up..
Matt B
Koissu
Species: Trout

Post by Koissu »

Awesome! That is a nice laker and MA whitefish. You should enter that badboy, it'd only be the 4th entered.
Last edited by Koissu on Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks for your report Keith.
2 triples and 19 fish boated in the same day, that's has to be thrilling.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

Dude Wow big White Fish I didn't know they got that big must have been big daddy...!!LOL
what a day you had...nice
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

The whitefish was way unexpected... I have been hoping all summer to hit a few cisco, but never expected to catch a whitefish, and it was a biggin. That makes 4 out of steves 6 MA fish this year that I put him on 24 inch pickerel, 41 inch pike, 30 inch laker, and that 24 inch whitefish (I have only put myself on 2 MA's laker and salmon). I have been really lucky this summer, putting in the time researching in the spring, and all the advice I have gotten here are the only reason I catch anything. The lake staying high has also kept shelburne launch accessible and really gotten me the chance to figure out the broad lake in front of burlington.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Post by DreamWeaver »

Great exciting report that made for an interesting read. Thanks and congrats.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Keith Great Whitefish did happen to check and see if those cannon line counter depths actually match up with what you're Big Jons run at they could very a few feet could be why they didn't fire go into 60 0r 70 feet of water and let them all touch bottom and see what the line counters say. Nice report