Smallies in deep water

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Timmy2bucks
Species: cold water

Smallies in deep water

Post by Timmy2bucks »

Saturday 8/26 Trolling in the area of Cumberland Head and points north Downriggers down at the 54-55% temperature break for Salmon, Browns, et al. Was only able to get a couple small Lakers at that depth, no targeted species. However, on sliders, could not believe catching several 2-4 lb smallies. Depth of water varied from 75 - 140 ft. All fish caught on various color Speedy Shiners.
Quite fun as far as activity, but I have had relatively NO LUCK catching Salmonids most of the summer. Oh well!
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Re: Smallies in deep water

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Join the club.
If you target Salmon, it has been a very frustrating year for sure.
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

I haven't fished Champ much this year because I can catch lakers closer to home if I want to, a tough season for sure, though I did catch my two personal best silvers there this year (9 and 5+lbs). I guess it could be the cormorants, mixed up temp from the weird weather or a combination of things but I hope the pattern changes. Posts on the Lake O forum have indicated that the LL (and rainbow, brown and laker) fishing in Cayuga Lake has been stellar. Similar lake structure, same species and having an excellent year - go figure.
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

I fished Inland Sea Saturday from 11-2, marked a ton of fish down 50-60 ft over 90-100 fow. Was solo so 2 riggers with fixed cheaters. No hits no runs no errors. Tuff sleddin. Off to the Big - O this weekend.
A new season begins!
Riddler
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

We always seem to catch big smallies this time of year, 70-80 down. Last 4 days on the lake while beautiful , the fishing was lousy. However on an encouraging note, I am starting to catch a few shakers. These fish are extremely fat and i think their girth may equal their length. A good sign, but being so fat, does it mean they have little competition for forage?
Jdavismmu
Species: Variety

Post by Jdavismmu »

riddlervt wrote:I fished Inland Sea Saturday from 11-2, marked a ton of fish down 50-60 ft over 90-100 fow. Was solo so 2 riggers with fixed cheaters. No hits no runs no errors. Tuff sleddin. Off to the Big - O this weekend.
A new season begins!
Riddler
Curious-in the Inland Sea, did you hang up on alot of weeds? I was trolling there last weekend well above bottom (50-70 ft in 100+ ft) and hung up on what I could only guess were weed balls? Also wondered if that was the "bait" i thought I was marking on my Lowrance? No clue, but it was very frustrating and strange for line to peel of only to be hung up on weeds well above the bottom. Would weed balls show up like bait balls? I am not
Jdavismmu
Species: Variety

Post by Jdavismmu »

riddlervt wrote:I fished Inland Sea Saturday from 11-2, marked a ton of fish down 50-60 ft over 90-100 fow. Was solo so 2 riggers with fixed cheaters. No hits no runs no errors. Tuff sleddin. Off to the Big - O this weekend.
A new season begins!
Riddler
Curious-in the Inland Sea, did you hang up on alot of weeds? I was trolling there last weekend well above bottom (50-70 ft in 100+ ft) and hung up on what I could only guess were weed balls? Also wondered if that was the "bait" i thought I was marking on my Lowrance? No clue, but it was very frustrating and strange for line to peel of only to be hung up on weeds well above the bottom. Would weed balls show up like bait balls? As you can tell, I am not an expert on my fishfinder! But this was the first time I have ever hung up like I did well above bottom.
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

Bass have been deep last few weeks. Weve been dropshotting for them.
High Plains Drifter
Thorfinn
Species: whatever

Post by Thorfinn »

A new season begins!
Riddler
I was out there (IS) Thursday, Friday and Saturday last week. We caught some 10-13" salmon but no keepers. Heading back out tomorrow.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

We experienced the same result last time we were fishing the IS. (Two weeks ago).
We caught fish (Salmon) but all were in the 10,12,15 inch range.
Timmy2bucks
Species: cold water

Post by Timmy2bucks »

Mopar...Drop shotting for Smallies, yes, but I was fishing in from 75 to 140 ft of water. The bass were obviously suspended in the 30 ft range. I take it you weren't drop shotting in water that deep.
Thorfinn

Post by Thorfinn »

I had that same experience last fall. We were pulling smallies up from depth around Cumberland head. Quite a few of them. Nice fish but not what we were after.
Thorfinn

Post by Thorfinn »

ThreeBuoys wrote:We experienced the same result last time we were fishing the IS. (Two weeks ago).
We caught fish (Salmon) but all were in the 10,12,15 inch range.
I'm hoping we get into something bigger tomorrow. We'll see.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

While catching 4 lb smallmouth on light spinning tackle can be a blast, it is pretty dissapointing when you see the green 100 feet back while salmon fishing. They come straight up like a salmon or steelie might and can fool you for a minute.
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

Timmy2bucks wrote:Mopar...Drop shotting for Smallies, yes, but I was fishing in from 75 to 140 ft of water. The bass were obviously suspended in the 30 ft range. I take it you weren't drop shotting in water that deep.
Not quite that deep, 40-60 fow.
High Plains Drifter