Broad lake 8/19

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Broad lake 8/19

Post by keithm87 »

It's been over a month since I was last on the big lake, we left them biting and we're hoping to get back in them. Hit the lake around 8 out of shelburne and headed towards the north side of juniper. Set riggers at 60 and 70 with slide divers as well. Saw one other boat out jigging.
After an uneventful first 50 minutes we had our first hit. Steve landed a little laker and the skunk was off. A few minutes later and a slide diver fired and I landed another laker. We got on them really good around a hump and circled that catching fish until the early clouds moved out. The bite shut off when the sun came out and we decided to head north along the drop on appletree bay. At this point we were sitting on 9 including one really really old laker.

We marked lots of fish but no takers then the clouds started to move back in and it got busy. Landed a few more lakers including a double. As we were resetting gear the 60 ft rigger fired. I grabbed it and the line was slack I reeled it in half way and set the rob down to click the rigger up, and all the sudden a salmon come flying out of the water 15ft back. Grabbed the rod, and Steve grabbed the net. The fish didn't do any screaming runs but when we went to net it, it wrapped around the other sides rigger cable. The salmon kept leaping 5 ft back as we tried to net it and finally got lucky and it landed in the net. We cut the line to get it off the rigger and pulled the fish in the boat. A nice 5lb salmon.

After that fish it started to pour and the bite died down for a bit, then the rain stopped. Soaked I set a 20 fish or 4pm leave time. We ran the same section a couple more times and picked up another salmon and a couple more lakers. We were at 19 fish at 2:50 having just boated a small laker, when a rigger fired. I get the fish within 20ft and it pops off, I look right and see a diver go off, drop the rigger rod and grab the diver, and lose that fish too. We now have 0 gear in the water. I start resetting gear and as I set the first diver while the rigger is on its way down the diver goes nuts. Drag screams and I know it's a decent fish. After about 10 minutes I get the biggest laker of the day to the boat. Number 20 and we are headed home.
Ended with 18 lakers, 2 salmon, and about 10 misses most that the fish got off during the fight. Color didn't matter we caught fish on every lure we put in the water and only switched because 2 lures got ravaged by laker teeth, though both salmon came on copper watermelon crazy Ivan on the rigger 10 back 60 down in 55-59degree water.
DreamWeaver
Species: Salmon, trout and bass

Re: Broad lake 8/19

Post by DreamWeaver »

Congrats on your return to the lake and thanks for the report, it is encouraging.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report Keith. Looks like cloudy skies were your good fortune. 20 nice fish in the boat is a beautiful achievement.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

Wow Your the man nice day of fishing, wish I could be half that lucky out there id be happy....keep the reports flowing..!!I enjoy the show thanks
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

X2
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

awsome day you had out there . great report
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Very nice report... Enjoyed reading it very much! Sounds like an epic day complete with some special surprises... Can't beat that!
Matt B
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice job Keith. Fly Guy and myself caught one lonesome 4 lb salmon up north a ways. I think there is good opportunity to catch some decent salmon right now. Not many, but temps have cooled with the west winds lately and i even found 56 at 50 feet yesterday. Thanks for the company Bryan! Oh yeah , Harry the salmon came on a RTSS
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Great report. Nice successful day.
Thought about heading down to that area, but the wind and waves are pretty much limiting me to the Broad Lake farther North as my boat is in the water.
Reel Delight (Walt)
Species: Trout, Salmon, & other

Post by Reel Delight (Walt) »

Yes, please keep up these fishing reports, Keith. What a great resource of information for us whom can no longer go out on the lake to fish. I miss fishing and these stories help to put me back into the excitement.
Retired & ready to fish!
Arima Sea Ranger "Reel Delight"
Past President of the Lake George Fishing Alliance
member of the US Power Squadron and USN Vet.
Formerly AKA "Fishing Eagle"
D-Cypher
Species: Lake Trout

Post by D-Cypher »

My wife and I did really well Sunday on the downriggers, nothing on the divers though. Boated a couple nice 10lb fish along with a pile of smaller ones on the broad lake.