Broad Lake, Sunday

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Broad Lake, Sunday

Post by C-Hawk »

Finally made it out at the crack of noon today and after calibrating a new probe for 20 minutes, got set up over 200 feet of water, near an underwater cliff wall, with 2 heavy trolling Bees. Temp was at 75 and set one there and one 90. Worked my spot in tight loops for an hour and finally had my first hit. My biggest salmon of the year sulked like a laker for a minute, and then came up and was airborne 5 or 6 times. Now I was thinking steelhead. I had set this lure out 150 feet, so it took a while to get him close. Finally while I was grabbing the net solo, he made a spectacular leap 5 feet from the boat and then I knew I had a good salmon. When I got the net ready, I made a serious miscalculation and left about 2 feet of line too much in the water . My arms weren't long enough to hold the rod and net the fish. I watched a 7 pound class salmon balance on the edge of the net, made one more feeble lunge and as the hook pulled out, he flopped the wrong way. As if to taunt me he finned on the surface for a moment, giving me one more good look, and then did the deep dive. Had a great battle, so I will not pout.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Re: Broad Lake, Sunday

Post by tamiron »

C-Hawk:

Sounds more like a great release !!! ;)
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

you will get him next time jeff. you had fun with it and there are bigger keep after them.
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

Fish like that come hard these days, sorry to here it got off, but to look at it from my point of view
he'll be there for us to get a go at...!!! LOL
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great battle, and you sort of released it. He is still there to give someone another battle.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Its stories like that that keep us going back for more... Thanks for the great read Jeff... Should brought Digi with ya!
Matt B
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

I've tried solo and it wasn't noteworthy. It sickening to see a lunker flip you a tail as it heads away. For me, it was a very fat Musky. It was 45 years ago and it still stings. With the amount of time you put on the water, you'll have your day.
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Nice Report! I think more about the ones that got away then the ones I have landed
Ridds
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

Well at least you got a good look at it - nothing worse than loosing a big fish after a long fight without ever seeing what it was. Those tense seconds just before you see the color are nerve wracking for me!