Inland Sea Trench 8/7 and 8/8

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
digitroll (ron)

Inland Sea Trench 8/7 and 8/8

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Decided to give the eastern side of Cedar and Fishbladder (trench) a go on Monday / Tuesday. Invited Steve a friend from the neighborhood circa 1970's. Had a chance to catch up and talk about the last 35 years. Steve loves to fish and a chance to hook a salmon on Champlain was on his bucket list. With the trench giving up some decent fish the last 10 days by Reelax it seemed like a logical place to try on a week day with no boat traffic to deal with on the water or at the ramp.

Lines down at 9:30 am and began marking some decent hooks on the HDS-7 Lowrance. Set out two slide divers and two riggers with no cheaters or bling in the water. Just a stripped down setup just like the old days. Steve noticed the slide diver started hammering and it looked like a good one. Got it to the net and it was 24" long and 5 lbs even on the Shoot-out scales. Kept it for the smoker. Next fish was a tagged male kyped 21" salmon and it was out of the water 3 times before landing in the net on the third jump. Finished 4 for 6 after 3.5 hours and pulled the lines. The tag number showed it was 19" last fall and tagged at the Lamoille Dam I learned this morning. Great outing!

Today went with a crew of three (Ric and Dave) back to the same area as I was a guest on Ric's boat. Screen was pretty blank and right off we landed another 21" hook jawed male a mirror image of yesterday. Ended up 2/2 after 3 hours when we pulled the lines with 6 rods in the water.

Best depth was 50-70 feet and MP6's / Heavy B's / Speedy Shiners worked best. Copper / Silver with orange tape.

C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Inland Sea Trench 8/7 and 8/8

Post by C-Hawk »

Way to go Ron. The Sea is alive. I'm not sure I can make under the bridge anymore. I guess I don't want to suck up sand. Nice fish!
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Caught my first decent LC salmon right there sometime around 1990, a 5 pounder, 75 down as I remember it, mid day, mid August.
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Post by fishmaster176 »

The IS is giving up some nice silver. Good to see some great results aboard the Digitroll.
digitroll (ron)

I would believe it's getting skinny on the south side of the Sandbar to run a motor thru the sand and screw up your engine. The Apple state launch is awesome!

We have fished 3 areas (Converse / Providence / Stave / Inland Sea in the last few weeks and all three areas have produced some nice fish. Not spot burning anyone one place. Just roll the dice and go to any of these 3 areas. The fish are there!

With the glass calm water yesterday I utilized the cycling feature on my Digitroll's to get the fish to strike my riggers with 20 foot leads. They work well under these conditions at times when your marking fish.

15 seconds with a 8 foot window up and down. Graph looks like a sine wave on an ocilloscope tracing the rigger balls reminding me of my EE labs at VTC.
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Wow! Thats a great report. Detailed hi tech too. Sometimes thats what it takes if you can pull it off
Nice Job for this time of year.
Ridds
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice report and results Ron. Looks like it's repeatable.... These salmon have such great colors. You can see every scale on them. The 21" has a Huge jaw! The salmon over the past month in the sea are starting to get some fall coloring and there are still some pigs in the mix. I have seen mostly empty bellies on the 4 we have cleaned over the last 3 weeks... They are hungry. Just gotta find em.

Fish on!!!
Matt B
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Water is very shallow on the Malletts Bay side. We were able to get thru last Friday and Sunday, but the water in spots is 16-18 inches. (Not my boat so easy for me to say) Water under the bridge is fine, but when you look to the left and right and see rocks sticking out of the water......I'm done.
Pulling the boat and driving from Porters Point around to Apple Island vs. taking the long route all the way around.....
ThreeBuoys

Post by ThreeBuoys »

But, compared to the fishing on the Broad Lake at this point.....Lakers can be fun, but I've had enough.
digitroll (ron)

The nice thing about fishing the Sea if you hook up on a good fish 9/10 times its a good size salmon not a Lake Trout. One in awhile a bonus Walleye. I guess if someone wanted to target lake trout they can grab a jig stick and some 1-2 oz. lead jigs and catch a boatful on the bumps on the main lake. Not my cup of tea.
ThreeBuoys

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Yes and they were out there yesterday.... from what I gather they were pretty successful.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Great report Ron...thanks for the info
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great report again ron. keep after them. good luck on every trip.
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Thanks Ron for another great report.
You're experience is really an asset.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
digitroll (ron)

Thanks for all the nice comments!