Grand Slam 8/6

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
FishnChef
Species: Salmon

Grand Slam 8/6

Post by FishnChef »

Fished solo today out of willsboro 9-3, first time I had the boat out in over a month. Glad I didn't listen to the marine forecast and bailout like I almost did because waves were non-existent on the west side of the lake. Slow start but then I found massive schools of alewives and smelt and started banging on the Lakers in 90 ft of water off bottom. Then I got a 19 inch Brown on a sliding cheater on the rigger I had parked at 72 so my best guess is 35 to 40 down. Got that reset and then about 5 minutes later the rigger fired again with a 22in rainbow beautiful female chromer on the same cheater which will be dinner tonight as she was hooked deep didn't really take any runs but cleared the water about six times. Then I had a lull of about an hour and then doubled up on salmon on the other rigger parked at 50 and that same cheater again in that 35 to 40 range. Both the salmon went Airborne before I could even get to the rods the first one came out and immediately threw the hook so I got the other one and landed a nice 21-inch Male. Not a single one of the fish I caught including six Lakers had any Lamprey marks on them which I thought was awesome and interesting . I always fish the same area and usually if I catch three fish at least one will have a lamprey on it. Never sent down the Fishhawk so I don't know what temps were but bait was stacked up top to bottom in 80 to 110 feet of water where I was, I'm guessing they were out of temp but just speculation. The rainbow had about a 6 inch alewife in its stomach and salmon had two smelt. A great day and I'm looking forward to a nice fresh fish dinner. We're at not such a pain in the ass to post pictures on here I would put up a pic of the hot spoon for the day and the fish
hard knox
Species: salmon

Re: Grand Slam 8/6

Post by hard knox »

Great job canceled a charter today that was going to do out out Peru do to the wind forecast at 4 am saying NW gust up 25 but do not like taking customers out if i fell it wont be enjoyable for them .
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Thanks....it's hard to get a slam this year....nice post
Last edited by jimbow on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

wow the grand slam awsome. very tough to do. great report.
Fishinpole
Species: Trout/Salmon

Post by Fishinpole »

Sounds like a great day of fishing. Were you in the bay or big water?
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Nice work on the slam... That's sounded like a fun trip!!
Matt B
FishnChef

Post by FishnChef »

Just outside the bay. Didn't mark much in the way of fish up high just Lakers on the bottom but the bait was there so I just decided to grind it out and kept pounding the same area. There was bait in the bay too but it was more spotty. Can't say enough about my new traxstech riggers, if you fish alone often well worth the money
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Congrats......I've been one species away on 5 different occasions this year but can't ever close the deal, rainbows and browns never seem to cooperate on the same days. I set rigger at 70 on Sunday and had 3 salmon on cheater and our fish were extremely acrobatic too. We almost didn't go based on marine forecast sure glad we took a chance was beautiful day. Question is why don't weather forecasters get fired ? If any of us messed up at our jobs like them we'd be unemployed for sure :lol: :?: :lol: :?:
FishnChef

Post by FishnChef »

Well at least for once they were wrong in a good way. Yeah it was definitely luck but after I got a few Lakers under my belt and got the skunk off I made the conscious decision not to fish them and that was part of it. with the size and quantity of the bait schools I knew there had to be something besides Lakers around so I just kept pounding the same area. The funny thing was my hot spoon was primarily red with a little green and a silver back and the other spoons I had out which more closely mimicked a herring or smelt didn't really do much at all, I guess it was one of those days where it paid to differentiate yourself rather than match the forage. Food for thought