Must be Lakerville

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Must be Lakerville

Post by jimbow »

I finally got out on the lake for a while with some friends. The intention was to try and get a few salmon but it didn't end up that way. As we got underway Thursday morning we marked some bait and fish around the 30-35 ft mark, the temp wasn't right but we marked bait and fish so I said why not? As I was busy still setting up the other rods, my friends weren't paying attention as one of the rods went off. I had a long lead out so by the time I told them and they responded no one was home. I took over the wheel and we did the usual salmon routine for a good part of the morning and we did have 2 other hits but again, no one home. We decided to head into deeper water and at the edge of a deep drop off we marked some bait and fish. I finally got a chance at the rods by now. We lowered the balls to the depth and the # 3 Honey bee PPE went off almost immediately. My one friend landed a nice healthy 6 lb Laker and returned it unharmed. A little while later I got my chance on a # 3 Brown Trout Honey bee, I released another Laker in the about the same size class without touching it via needle nose pliers and a quick twist to the siwash hook while the fish was still in the water. It dove straight for the bottom, what a nice sight. In the next hour we landed 4 more Lakers in the same size up to about the 8 lbs range. They were all caught on the PPE, only one had to kept due to it's inhaling the entire spoon and causing too much damage. We decided to call it quits at this point and headed for home. We now call that area Lakerville, I'm sure we could have caught more but why harm the fish if we didn't have to. They were very aggressive, we saw several come up 10-15 ft feet on the fish finder to whack the lure. It's amazing that the Purple People Eater is still producing so well....We tried Brown & Rainbow Trout Patterns, copper & silver plated spoons in many other patterns and sizes, the #3 size is what they wanted. It was good to get out for a while, I'll be back soon if all goes well.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Re: Must be Lakerville

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice report Jimbow
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Thanks for the report Jim... Those ppe spoons are killers...
Matt B
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

Reelax wrote:Thanks for the report Jim... Those ppe spoons are killers...
Thanks C-Hawk and Reelax, I know, those PPE's have been hot for 2 years running...I wonder what they think they are in that color :?: :?: :?: :?: Of course light penetration changes colors as the depth increases, so could be anything :? :? ...Hey all I know is they work ;) I have some more coming, including the different colored backs that you like Reelax.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

great report jim . :D
Registered Kayak
Species: Salmon and the rest

Post by Registered Kayak »

Underwater videos...... The PPE dots are super vivid as pinkish red against what looks like black at that depth. It really has great colors.
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

Registered Kayak wrote:Underwater videos...... The PPE dots are super vivid as pinkish red against what looks like black at that depth. It really has great colors.
Thanks Fishy and thanks for the info Mark, :D That helps explain it, I'm sure Jim M would like to hear that. ;) I got to get me one of those water wolfs. :twisted:
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Great report
Love it when rookies don't understand what a fired rod looks like!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

Trackertroller wrote:Great report
Love it when rookies don't understand what a fired rod looks like!

They weren't rookies, they were talking and not paying attention :?
riddlervt
Species: Fins and Scales

Post by riddlervt »

Great Report. I too am fond of the PPE with the colored back. I have 100's of spoons and usually
run at least one in the spread.
Riddler
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

riddlervt wrote:Great Report. I too am fond of the PPE with the colored back. I have 100's of spoons and usually
run at least one in the spread.
Riddler

They are great spoons, The PPE and Brown Trout pattern are my go to lures, one of each are always out on main line or slider. The HEAVY casting spoons in Rainbow trout is also one I put out on my lead core when ever I put that out..they are all constant producers.
pieman9155
Species: trout

Post by pieman9155 »

got 1 satday on my lake o spoon and ppe
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

pieman9155 wrote:got 1 satday on my lake o spoon and ppe
I see you said you used a "Lake O" spoon too....It seems the larger spoons are working better than the smaller ones, at least for the Lakers. As I stated I used the #3 bee, but I use #2 and even #4 this time of year since there are a lot of "mature" bait in the water.

After seeing C-Hawk and Digitroll's post on C-hawk-07/25-26 Providence/Stave outing (check out their post) I will try another great spoon that will mimic those Alewives (or smelt)...it's the perfect size and color...

http://www.tamiron.com/product-p/19004.htm
pieman9155
Species: trout

Post by pieman9155 »

wife got today 8.5 and 12.5 lakers today on MEMORY LANE honey bees black
jimbow

Post by jimbow »

pieman9155 wrote:wife got today 8.5 and 12.5 lakers today on MEMORY LANE honey bees black

Great! Good for her....Those are nice fish!