Broad Lake Steelhead

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Re: Broad Lake Steelhead

Post by Adkhare »

Congratulations that's a beautiful fish, catch fish like that in the rivers in the spring but have always wanted to get one in the lake, we have boated 5 this year and never prior but nothing to the caliber of that. Thank you for keeping my dream alive, congrats again you deserve it.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

awsome jeff thats a trophy. when you text me the pic and drama i almost fell out of my catfish chair. wished i was there. :D
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Here's another pic when she was still fresh. When I filleted her, I found her stomach was empty. A good feeding could have made her 8.
Attachments
8218.jpeg
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

Wow What a nice Steele thanks for sharing the photo, are you getting mounted...?
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Nice one!
You are a better man than me. I went out there around 7 am and bounced around for awhile, had 2 releases and nobody home. Picked up and went over to the calmer waters of the IS. Found two 17 inch Salmon. Pretty uneventful except for the guy who casted his lure into my boat from the bridge! WTF!
Wallyandre (Andre)
Species: salmon, SM, walleyes

Post by Wallyandre (Andre) »

Nice fish!
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Smitty wrote:Wow What a nice Steele thanks for sharing the photo, are you getting mounted...?
No, it's going in the smoker. I've always thought it would take a 10 lb fish to meet the mounting threshold.
Three Buoys, I would say that 2 salmon from the IS nowadays is a worthy accomplishment. I never went until things calmed a little, must have been really tough at 7. Also I saw one of the largest flocks of cormorants that I have ever seen Sat morning. As far as the eye could see and it took 5 minutes to fly by camp. 2-3 thousand I'm speculating?
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

C-Hawk wrote:
Reelax wrote:Did it jump? Did it jump?
Knew it was chrome right away, 75 down and the fish came straight up and airborne. 4 or 5 leaps, one 10 foot tail-walk. Solo in 2 and 3 footers
That had to have been a super adrenaline rush! Nice going Jeff!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Shaye D Winds

Post by Shaye D Winds »

Hey Jeff,

Really nice fish. Great to see some really nice ones. Congrats on the one man show. :) It was rough out there.
Tire Jockey
Species: All

Post by Tire Jockey »

Holy crap what a beauty! Congrats!
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Beautiful fish Jeff. I fished lakers with my buddy on Sunday. It was bumpy early, but laid down in the middle of the day. We had a fair day boating 5 fish. The largest was 8-1/4 lbs. I haven't caught a steelhead on Champlain yet. What a treat to see a picture of such a nice one from Champlain. Couldn't happen to a better guy.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Thanks everyone. Just a little bit of information, and while my head is severely swollen, that was my third 7 + chromer for the boat in 5 years. All 3 were caught within a mile of each other. All three were caught over deep water, 140 +, and all three were caught mid to late summer, 70 or more down. My other 7 plus came with a 6+ salmon. Two of them were in 2 footers or better. My buddy Ed caught the other one in 3 to 4 footers, more lure action?
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Your right Jeff about the rough and deep water! I had two steelhead 3 years ago in early august at 7 lbs. and 8.5 lbs 6 days apart over 140 feet or more out in the abyss. The bigger one came in 3-4 footers with Don fishing with me.

There is a trend here if you want to pursue big steel look for rough and deep water mid-summer. No accident.

Congratulations again Jeff!

:)
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

These sort of posts make me wish that we put the money into the steelhead that we do some of the other species. I feel like if they stopped wasting money stocking rainbows in half the inland lakes that don't support them, and put more steelies in champ we could see some good things!
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Nice one Jeff!!
Bet that was a fun fight
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"