New member South Champlain

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Free Bird
Species: Salmon

New member South Champlain

Post by Free Bird »

A friend suggested I come on this website and share this beautiful salmon we caught this weekend. I recently moved to our camp in Addison, bought a boat and took back to fishing after a spell of about 8 years without a boat. I was talking to some friends at a party the previous evening who said they've struggled to catch a salmon so I offered them to come out with me in the morning. I was just setting the last rod which was 5 colors of leadcore and was adjusting the drag when it started zinging out line. I knew it was a good fish and got the line tight and started fighting it toward the boat. I handed the rod off to one of my friends. It was acting like a laker except for staying up top (I'm new to leadcore and haven't caught a salmon this size on Champlain before). About 20' behind the boat it jumped and I just about sh.. myself. Thank goodness my friends had no idea this wasn't just a normal salmon so they stayed cool and calm while I was scrambling for the net and barking orders :) It was 28" and weighed just under 10 on one scale and just over 9 on another - guess I'll call it 9.5. The catch was steady and went 7 for 9 with most 18-21 inches. One on lead, several on the riggers and one on the lite bite (I'm new at those too so any real charts for depth vs speed would be appreciated - are the ones on the website accurate?) Fish hit in 25'-50' down mostly in temperature and blue/silver, copper/orange seemed to be the ticket whether over vertical flashers or solo.

fishing_7-9-17_1.jpg
fishing_7-9-17_1.jpg (17.23 KiB) Viewed 2695 times
bigfish
Species: salmon

Re: New member South Champlain

Post by bigfish »

Great report. Nice salmon !!
hard knox
Species: salmon

Post by hard knox »

thats a nice male salmon great fish and great start to getting back in to the game .Well done !
Greenhorn
Species: Anything with gills

Post by Greenhorn »

Welcome to the forum Free Bird. That is quite an entrance with a 10ish pound salmon! Thanks for the report as I have been looking forward to getting back up there to drag some hardware.
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Beauty....way to jump back into the game
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Welcome to the forum Free Bird. Thanks for posting your beautiful catch. It's so good to see such a nice salmon. Looks like you and your friends had a great day on the big pond.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

wow very impressive male salmon. thats a trophy. thanks for posting the salmon are out there just got to get them when there feeding. you have joined a great forum and lots of great advise comes on here.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Great fish and 1st post. That size fish usually comes every 300-400 salmon, so your doing well average wise... My 5 color rods have been silent the last few trips, but they are a big fish set to keep out no matter what. It's fish like this that make it worth the set.

Looks like brother of Jaws, a fish we caught last July with exactly the same looks and measurements.

Are you getting it mounted??

Congrats on a fish of a lifetime.
Matt B
Free Bird

Post by Free Bird »

Thank you Reelax, that's a beautiful mount who did it? I dropped off Jaws 2 at Yasners.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Yasner did it.. You will be very happy... The one in the pic was a replica mount. He has done a few for me over the years and I am very happy with each. He is currently doing an 11.2lber we got aboard REELAX during the Datillio's derby this year.. DA Committed is looking forward to the day he gets that fish back...
Matt B
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Free Bird is the dude that introduced me to Landlocks in Champ back in '95ish...
Nice going Pete! And welcome aboard!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Free Bird wrote:one on the lite bite (I'm new at those too so any real charts for depth vs speed would be appreciated - are the ones on the website accurate?)
A lot of the lite bite can be a guessing game..the key is to duplicate what is working and not be afraid to change it up when it's not. I usually go with the lure being down 1/3 the amount of line out. 100 ft of line out is about 30-35 ft down, 200 ft of line out gets about 60' down, as was proven one day while out with Reelax and we were doing some "experimenting" with the bottom. :mrgreen:
But then throw in the "angle" away from the boat and it's all a guessing game. Or fun until someone gets hurt...or offended :o
I haven't looked at the chart Lite bite puts out in years.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

They get really deep on inside corners, so just beware of that, but that is what makes them work. they are all over the water column when you turn.

PS what a fish!!
Free Bird

Post by Free Bird »

Thanks for the tips guys - good to see your mug on here Captain Gerry :)
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

Wow what a nice fish, great report thanks for sharing we need this kind of
encouragement this year with the fishing being slow, I'll be up next week to play.
save me one or two....! LOL