Broad Lake 7/5

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Broad Lake 7/5

Post by keithm87 »

Hit the lake with 802fishtail yesterday. We launched out of shelburne at 7, and headed for the area that had produced the over the weekend. Got out and found the water very stained, but still marking fish, we set gear and within 15 minutes had a fish on. We landed a smallish laker and felt like it was going to be a great day
A few minutes later another rod fired and I was up, grabbed the rod and nothing there. reset and another rod fired, fish on, then fish off, before I could reset another fired, and again fish on fish off. I was getting frustrated as I hate missing fish. Then again a few minutes later same thing. The saving grace was they were biting like crazy. after 6 straight missed fish I decided to call it and take over the wheel.
The fish shut right off at that point. We went the next 1.5 hrs with nothing. by 9:30 we had boated 1 fish, and I was about ready to switch my trusty spin n glow out. I instead decided it was the rods fault, so I switched the rod and kept the lure the same. Having landed 35 fish with the same gear the 2 prior trips in the same spot gave me the confidence. I decided to move a little north, and hit a little hump i saw on the map. as soon as we got to the hump we had a fish on. Another small laker. We circled back and landed another. The pace was slower than in the last few trips but we finally got back to an ave of 1 an hour for the day. saw a few other boats out including a charter that was not catching anything.
at 1 with the water stained and not producing at a pace I liked we decided to move. we had landed 7 fish to that point. We headed west for the brothers and fished the ridge to deep water settling on the same horseshoe structure that had been so successful by shelburne and juniper, before the gear was even set we had a fish. then another. Water was clear and fish were hitting.
in the next 3 hrs we boated 13 more fish to end with 20 on the day. All lakers most of the ones from the brothers were good 7-9lb. Lure of the day was the lure made famous during the datillios derby by team reelax. I put it on at 3 and by the time we left it had landed 5 fish.
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Broad Lake 7/5

Post by fishy1 »

great report . :)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

3 hrs 13 fish thats good fishing in my book. Nice job keep the reports coming.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

Yeah once we hit the brothers and found the clean water it was on fire. we doubled a couple times, and at one point had no rods in the water. They were stacked up like crazy on one spot at the tip of the horseshoe where it begins to drop off on 3 sides. it was like clockwork, we would run across it, the rigger would fire we would net that fish and the slide diver that was trailing through that section would fire. It was definitely a fun time.
Vtmopar
Species: Everything

Post by Vtmopar »

I love that area later in the season, usually produces good fish.
Does get busy though.
High Plains Drifter