Cumberland head / Gravelley point

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
bigfish
Species: salmon

Cumberland head / Gravelley point

Post by bigfish »

On the water at 5:15 started touch north of Gravelley point. 45-55 down vertical blades on both riggers. Water is a bit murky.
Picked up my wife around 8:00 am and returned to the same area and put the 2 riggers back down and put out the junk rods
Ran a 5 color core and a 200 copper , all pulling various colored moose looks . Silver and orange seemed to be the hot item.
Never managed a salmon bite all morning. Landed 11 lakers, and lost 4 others that I assume were lakers as well
Saw 2 boats trolling all morning. Off the water by 1:00. Good to see all the bait scattered around. Big clouds and small bunches throughout the water column.
Did catch some alewives the day before casting for bass in 4-10 fow on grand isle shore.

Big concern was the number of lamprey's on the lakers. I think all but 3 fish had lamprey attached.
Tight lines
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Re: Cumberland head / Gravelley point

Post by Reelax »

Damn. Lamprey...seems they are more prevalent north of shelburne.
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

darn lampreys they havent been bad on the south end of the lake but doesnt sound good up that way. i no another guy fishing that area and he is getting plenty of lakers but did finally hook into a nice salmon over the weekend.
bigfish
Species: salmon

Post by bigfish »

Never seen so many. Worst part is they were all young lamprey that won't enter the tribs for a couple year . I've seen the rise n fall n rise and fall of lake champlain s cold water fishery . From the 80's to present day. Lets hope we have an up tick in the next few years.
Tight lines
OUTCAST
Species: lake trout, salmon

Post by OUTCAST »

Probably 75% of the Lakers I caught in that area this year either had a fresh mark or lamprey still attached. And a number of them had 2 attached. I haven't noticed a difference with the lamprey treatments in the last 5 years if anything I see alot more immature lampreys. Most 6 to 8 inches long.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Lamprey numbers seem to be down around Shelburne for the first time. We are still catching fish with small Lampreys on them every day but no where near the wounding rate as years past