Broad Lake Laker Fishing

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Broad Lake Laker Fishing

Post by C-Hawk »

Spent time on the Broad Lake this weekend, but haven't caught a salmon. Yesterday I lost 2, which ggives me hope. Today I had the great pleasure to take out my special friend Olivia, who had never even been in a boat before today. Of course the bite was slow up here in the islands, but started a little near the end of our trip. Olivia did a great job on her first ever fish, a smallish laker, then the hook pulled out on a bigger one at the boat. She was just thrilled as was I.The Lakers seem to give a lot better fight this year, as many in the 5-7 range have no lamprey scars. I am also catching fish 50 down where I'm set up for salmon. These fish will pull line for a bit and can initially fool you into thinking salmon.
Attachments
Me with my catch
Me with my catch
Olivia with her laker
Olivia with her laker
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Re: Broad Lake Laker Fishing

Post by Captain Paul »

I agree the 5 to 7 lb Lakers are in great shape and fight like crazy Lamprey control is working
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Post by pfu »

Nothing better than sharing our Lake with those not having the opportunity. And it gets better when we get to see their faces regardless of whether the fish ends up in the boat. Job well done!
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

The lakers do seem to be more feisty this year. I have yet to come across the sit on the bottom logs that just suck to reel in. All of them seem to give a good fight, with lots of head shakes and short runs.
hard knox
Species: salmon

Post by hard knox »

I actually had one jump clear out of the water made me take a good look at it next trip to the surface make sure i did not have a 8 lb brooke trout then it did a little tail walk for a little more kicks. Wish they all did that!
ATLSALMON
Species: Saltwater & trout & salmon

Post by ATLSALMON »

This is what is all about need to take our young people out & show them there is more things in life then computers . Love the tee shirt Sloppy Joes Key West
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Took a 7 year old out yesterday. Short attention span and some rolling chop made the morning a little tough on his tummy but when he had his first laker on he was all smiles. He thinks he has graduated from perch and sunnies. From there on he was coaching his dad on netting skills. Get the kids out !
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

C-hawk
nice to see you into the fish, also like the shirt been to sloppy Joes a few time
favorite in the Key's has got to be O'Keefe's fan of the Hog Breath Saloon, The Bull
stay out of the 3rd floor...! if you know what I mean enough said if you don't by all means
check it out..!! LOL
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Beautiful day to share the experience of boating and fishing.
Glad you had some action!!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Smitty wrote:C-hawk
nice to see you into the fish, also like the shirt been to sloppy Joes a few time
favorite in the Key's has got to be O'Keefe's fan of the Hog Breath Saloon, The Bull
stay out of the 3rd floor...! if you know what I mean enough said if you don't by all means
check it out..!! LOL
Tried to go up there but my wife said I had too much body to paint
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

Hey C Hawk, I agree...I have hooked fish at 45-50 ft. That I swear are Salmon because they surface. But to my surprise they are 3-4 pound Lakers!!! I am starting to think that is all I will catch this year.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

ThreeBuoys wrote:Hey C Hawk, I agree...I have hooked fish at 45-50 ft. That I swear are Salmon because they surface. But to my surprise they are 3-4 pound Lakers!!! I am starting to think that is all I will catch this year.
I will keep plugging away, went on a scouting mission up north this afternoon , Cumberland Head, Over to Sisters , fished down to the ferry and only saw one bait ball with active fish . Hit it three times for nothing. Never tried for lakers, never saw another boat trolling. Time to try south. Burlington, Shelburne, is closer than where I went today. Most bait in the North is around Providence and Stave, maybe just have to weed through the Lakers. I caught one this weekend in 62° water. I also catch the 5 to 7 range fish where I set up for salmon.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Been a huge flock of the dirty black birds around Mallets, just outside the fill, and up around Sawyer. I hope everyone else gives chase and harassment every time they see a flock. I saw a bass boat come within inches of hitting one today and I think their boats are the only ones fast enough to come close. I once chased a small flock for 2 miles at 35 mph and they were pulling away. I wonder what all the people on the bike ferry and in the sailboats think when they see this senile old man chasing birds? Maybe I'll get arrested for harassing wildlife.
ThreeBuoys
Species: Bass,Salmon,Trout

Post by ThreeBuoys »

C-Hawk,
I made the other move and went South yesterday morning and Trolled from the backside of Juniper to the other side of Appletree Point. We were anywhere from 170ft of water to 80 or so. We had stacked riggers at 40 and 65, with the bottom one reading right on 50 degrees. Had a # of releases with nobody home and then several small lakers. I would be willing to bet the misses were lakers as well. picked up and went back noth to Stave and Prov. Same deal, but a few bigger lakers in the 5-6 pound range. I am purposely not going down deep for the lakers, but they find me anyway.
Another thing, lots of stuff in the water from the Winooski....so watch out when in that area.
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

Tried some new water yesterday. Started north of Sloop Island (just north of Charlotte ferry launch on VT side of lake). Stacked riggers for salmon at 35 and 45 feet in 60 - 80 FoW. Nothing for a couple of hours. Finally reset riggers a bit deeper and fished deeper water with more structure. Went 2 for 3 on lakers. One about 6-7 lbs. After gassing up at Shelburne Shipyard, got out of heavy traffic zone near mouth of Shelburne Bay, and resumed trolling south towards Sloop. Picked up another laker and a small steelhead. Halfway to slam, we chuckled, but that was it for the day. Well not quite, because we managed to lose our net overboard to cap things off. Notwithstanding cost to replace net, it was a beautiful day.

FWIW we saw several suspended bait balls as we trolled north from Sloop. Then lots of bait 80 -120' deep around Quaker Smith Reef.
Last edited by tmcaul on Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund