7/2 Juniper

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

7/2 Juniper

Post by keithm87 »

Hit the lake with my buddy Curtis today on the water at 7, headed out from shelburne and saw all sorts of cormorants on the shoal. set gear and headed toward them, no hits till we got out past the far buoy and turned west. Landed 2 lakers very quickly in the same area I have been pounding all summer. Decided to try some new grounds knowing the fish would still be there if we couldnt find them elsewhere. Headed to the north end of juniper where the shoal drops from 65 to 130, and found very active fish. We were on them hard until the wind picked up bad and we started to work back in. Wind died and we went back out to same area and kept hammering.
The highlight of the day was around 9am we had just landed double lakers on the riggers, and Curtis was up, as I was resetting a rigger I saw a flash of silver fly out of the water about 90ft back, and my slide diver went nuts. I grabbed it and started reeling until curtis could get to the rod as he was setting the other side rigger. We had the fish in within about 15ft really quick, and it surfaced spun sideways and screamed 50ft of drag faster than I have ever seen. When it came up I saw it was a really nice fish. After about 10 tense minutes of it touching the net and screaming off drag we got it in the boat. It was Curtis' first salmon, and a good one at 6.36lb with a huge belly.
Ended up landing a total of 21 fish, with another dozen releases and 3 lost fish. Only 2 salmon, but can't complain about that! Spin n glo and chartreuse with black bot speedy shiner were kings (broke 2 speedy's) for the lakers, and both salmon came on the hammered blue silver.
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Re: 7/2 Juniper

Post by Trackertroller »

Nice report and catches Keith and Curtis!!
Beautiful day for fishing
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Great report Keith!!! I used to fish that area back in the late 70s and early 80s!! If you were lucky the lakers were around 3 or 4 lb and rarely were there any salmon !! Things have really changed!! Mostly for the better I would say!! Thanks for the post and keep them coming!! Sleeps
spinner
Species: salmon

Post by spinner »

Yup keith is was there friday the 30th. Fished between the two points off shelburne an nada. trolled 1/2 was to juniper and got my 1st laker of the day. I ended up trolling south towards juniper and just before the buoy on in about 70 to 80 feet I got steady laker bites. I got off the water about 3 pm and ended up with 18 total by myself. No silvers just slimmers. Most came on silver mooselooks with pink tape down 55 feet and a couple at 45. Did manage to get doubles on one pole . most fish were decent size and only one had a lamprey on it
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

You boys know what you're doing. Thanks for you report it gives us encouragement.
I did catch a big sale boat today. This guy wen't 15 feet behind us if traci hadn't but the power to the motor he would have hit us. One line caught his keel.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

nice report glad to see you got a couple of salmon in the mix.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:You boys know what you're doing. Thanks for you report it gives us encouragement.
I did catch a big sale boat today. This guy wen't 15 feet behind us if traci hadn't but the power to the motor he would have hit us. One line caught his keel.
that must have been scary don. its happened to me once or twice trolling to in the past. something really needs to be done with the sailboats for safety reasons.
spinner
Species: salmon

Post by spinner »

Like a flare gun for the sails. They think they are in nascar because they aim right for you hoping you won't be there when they get there.It happens to me all the time they tact at the last minute and we can't get out the the way fast enough with all our stuff in the water. The big boats next to stave are a problem also and they are really not here in numbers yet but they come close to you and really rock the boat with waves. The lake is like 6 miles wide there and there is no reason for that.
pfu
Species: Cold and warm species

Post by pfu »

Brought the boat around for the fireworks and decided to try this area for an hour. Saw fish 65' down over 90' but only one release. Two other boats in the area but traffic started getting busy.

Very dirty water and lots of crap near mouth of Winooski. Saw a couple big logs that scares me going home later tonight.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

We were by Stave Spinner. I don't think he could see in front of him. When he went by he was setting down in the back and the only thing i could see was the top of head. If i had a paint ball gun i could have colored his sails so we all could see him coming next time.
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

pfu wrote:Brought the boat around for the fireworks and decided to try this area for an hour. Saw fish 65' down over 90' but only one release. Two other boats in the area but traffic started getting busy.

Very dirty water and lots of crap near mouth of Winooski. Saw a couple big logs that scares me going home later tonight.
I was out there again today, on water at 10:30 and gear out at 4:30 so we must have seen you folks we were in the aluminum polar Kraft that was circling the area. Ended up boating another 15 fish, and left them biting as I pulled gear as they bit from 330 on.

I also set a new record for my ego s2... Got it Friday used it yesterday, and it broke on the first fish today, handle glue and rivet gave out as I was extending it same as the last one. It's crazy as I don't lift fish with it extended and I always brace it when retracting so as to not put extra pressure. That's now 4 handles in a year and a month. Starting to wonder if it's time to find a different net.
Captain Paul
Species: lake trout,salmon,panfish

Post by Captain Paul »

Sounds like it time for a new brand of net