June 30th trip to Converse.

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

June 30th trip to Converse.

Post by Reelax »

Launched out of converse this morning with Da Comitted. Conditions were a light south wind with a drizzle coming down after a hard rain all night. Once we launched it started to pour.

We setup in the rain at 630 in front of garden and got totally soaked. We ran 2 riggers and 2 slide divers. Riggers at 30-40 and divers out 80-120.

We trolled south toward thompsons, past the point, headed to swifts, with no action all the way across townfarm bay. Nothing at swifts so we headed to diamond island.ntrolled round the west side getting no action still... By now it's after 8am!

At this point Dave spotted a major water fall coming down off some rocks..

.We snuck up on that spot and immeditatly got a hit... dAve realed in the 1st fish of the day.. A nice 1 lake year 19" silver...

We trolled past the water fall and pulled away from shore and wham, I'm on... Zzzzzzzzzz. It's a good fish... Diving for bottom.
Zzzzzzzzzz... Slow down the boat.... Zzzzzzzzzzz. Thud. Crap gone. That was a pig.

Then more action... Long story short, we melts circling the agitated water and kept picking up salmon. 2,3,4,5...

Not a bad bite. We had 4 fish in the 20" range land in the 1st 3 passes..

Got on radio and let Homewrecker and Fishdawg know about the bite.. A half hour later they joined the action...

Water was 65 on surface and 52 down 40 or so... Most fish came from 25-35 fow over about 90-130. Riggers ruled and the perch speedy was the best spoon of the day.

Coolest thing of the day was when we had a set of doubles start with a jumping salmon that was buttoned up at 32 ft. Skyrockets off the back of the boat just before the rigger popped. Then as Dave grabs it, the rigger on the other side pops... Both 20" salmon...

Setbacks were 40-50 and slider did fire at times. We did boat a little steelhead
and a smallish laker... Adding 10 salmon rounded out our morning at 12 fish by 1pm.

Best spoons of the day were a custom painted honeybee mp6 and a crazy Ivan painted flashing...

When we returned to the launch we were welcomed by a kyack armada..
They didn't seem to understand we needed a lane on the ramp. After 15 min I had to ask for them to let us use it to put trailer in.... :roll:

Back at it tomorrow... You will know the spot when you see Reelax circling..

Fish on!
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Re: June 30th trip to Converse.

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Wow, great report and good thinking. You guys never all amaze me! Glad to hear there were some of last years stock in the mix..... they have been hiding down south.
Todd
Todd
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Crazy Ivan wrote:Wow, great report and good thinking. You guys never all amaze me! Glad to hear there were some of last years stock in the mix..... they have been hiding down south.
Todd
That flashking. You gave me is still one of my hottest spoons Todd. It's on its 3rd hook, and has probably 30 fish this year alone...

Thanks Man!
Matt B
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

getting soaked seem to be the low point but the fishing was a real high point and can make you forget the low point. great post and pics matt you know i like the pics. must have been a fun day. :)
C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

Nice fishing Matt, I bet those kayakers never left the ramp until they had 6 straps, four bungee cords and 2 ropes on each kayak.
Sleepswithdafishes
Species: coldwater

Post by Sleepswithdafishes »

Very nice Matt!!!! Maybe sunday We will give it a go!!! Nice to see a rainbow in the mix!!! Sleeps
Crazy Ivan
Species: All

Post by Crazy Ivan »

Matt,
Protect that spoon with your life I only have 650 flash kings left. I bought out a small store in NY this year, the owner thought I was crazy, I bought the entire wall. I love flash kings and that pattern has been a killer for years.
Todd
Todd
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Great report Matt! It's been a game of "lost and seek" this season looking for that active pod of salmon for everyone here. We start out fishing all the "known" spots like you mentioned the first 2 hours of your trip yesterday and when you try some other not so known areas a school of nice salmon are located by you guys and a few others I have talked to recently. Very well done! I know you guys found those nice fish last August-September north and I have go give you kudo's for doing that and persistence pays off. I know it hasn't been a very productive first half of the season (6 months ending yesterday) for our boat and others. I have a short window fishing 9-1 sometimes 10-1 and it's a challenge for us to find a pod of fish in that window fishing the "known" spots again. :) I will need to adjust and start out fishing clean un-prospected deep water to locate fish and bait.

Great job and thanks for the report to encourage others to get out there and find some fish. As Todd has mentioned to us there are fish there we just need to locate them and the results will fall into place. We have been running our bigger spoon program (last year was a killer) with very little results this season. That rainbow speedy might start getting more attention with our 4 rod spread very similar to the Flashking. And the MP6 in the heavy series was getting some good whacks a month ago.

This kind of report doesn't mean I want to go down and fish that area and pound it. I will take that success and apply it elsewhere as there are fish scattered from south to north this year with the crazy weather. I encourage others to prospect.

Good luck today. We plan on doing a little prospecting in the Sea this week closer to home for a couple of 10-1 windows. (Raz any hints?) :)

R
Wdrnr
Species: Salmon Lakers, warm if needed

Post by Wdrnr »

Good day Matt,with all the forage fish down that way, there has to be Something around to eat at some point. Just got back from the cape and will be back at it here soon.
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Great job team
Target species acquired!!!
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
Smitty
Species: Salmon & Lake Trout

Post by Smitty »

Hey glad to here things are starting to pick up....would like to make it up in the next week or so.
thanks for the report