6/24 main lake action getting good

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
hard knox
Species: salmon

6/24 main lake action getting good

Post by hard knox »

Hit the water around 7 with my father thats not getting any younger and took him out for a late fathers day fishing trip that turned into a great day for the both of use with nice weather and hungry fish.Started of the day with first fish a 10.5 lb laker soon after a 9.5 lb laker then action slowed for a little while with weather pattern change found some more fish that wanted to play in 80 to 100 feet of water and got a stead pick the rest of the day with all bits at 55 to 70 feet on the temp break.Ended up catching more fish then we could keep track of with a 7.5 lb salmon a 5.5 lb salmon and a 5,25 lb rainbow lost 2 other big salmon that were jumping all over the place .Program that seemed to be most productive was short lead behind just the ball at 70 feet and 150 back at 55 feet and a torpedo 400 feet back with all spoon bite on large spoons due to fish are full of large bait. Hitting the lake tomorrow solo looking for a repeat but just wont be they same without dad .
fishmaster176
Species: anything with a fin

Re: 6/24 main lake action getting good

Post by fishmaster176 »

Best report in a while. Lots of big fish. There is hope. Thanks for sharing.
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

Super great report. Glad you and your dad got on the fish!
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Good news... Sounds like the bite is finally setting up for us...
Matt B
tmcaul
Species: salmonids

Post by tmcaul »

I join all who posted earlier...congratulations on a great day of fishing with your father.

Have a question though...

My son and I haven't been trying for salmon much deeper than 45'. (We are new to fishing for salmon.) Should we run one rigger as deep as 70'?

Tom
Tom
"Tyee, Too"
18' Lund
raz
Site Admin
Species: Coldwater fishes!!!

Post by raz »

tmcaul wrote:I join all who posted earlier...congratulations on a great day of fishing with your father.

Have a question though...

My son and I haven't been trying for salmon much deeper than 45'. (We are new to fishing for salmon.) Should we run one rigger as deep as 70'?

Tom
So far, mine have all been 40 down or less.
Catch and serve with lemon.
Gerry
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Agree I'm still up high too, did double digits on salmon on Sunday in 50fow or less thought it was a dream compared to the rest of the year
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

I catch salmon all the time when water gets warm fish top of temp break for salmon and below it for lakers .
keithm87
Species: Trout and Salmon

Post by keithm87 »

How do you rig the torpedos? I have thought of grabbing a couple, but wasn't sure what application they would be best in, and what size to use.
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

I RUN 2 SIZES A 4OZ AND A 80Z I THINK. THEY ARE ATTACHED TO YOUR MAIN LINE WITH A SPRING LOADED QUICK RELEASE CLIP THAT CAN NOT FALL OF DO NOT USE A PINCH PAD RELEASE OR YOU WILL LOSE THEM ! YOU CAN PLACE TORPEDO WEIGHT AS FAR AWAY AS YOU WISH I LIKE 50 TO 100 FEET FOR STEALTH THEN I LET OUT LINE FROM 50 TO 150 OF LINE TO SET THE DEPTH I WANT .THERE IS A DEPTH CHART FOR THIS THEN I CLIP ON A STERN PLANER MADE BY CHURCH TACKLE WITCH IS THE DEADLY WEAPON THAT I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY BOATS USE I LET THAT OUT WAY WAY BACK LIKE 400 FEET TO THE LURE .I RUN 2 SET UPS LIKE THIS CENTER LONG 4OZ 400 BACK THEN CENTER MED 8 OZ 300 BACK THESE SET UPS WILL NOT GET INTO YOU RIGGERS OR SIDE PLANERS AND CATCHES ALL MY BIGGEST SALMON AS WELL AS RAINBOWS AND BROWNS .YOU DO HAVE TO REMOVE PLANER AND WEIGHT WELL FIGHTING A FISH BUT IT IS VERY EASY JUST KEEP BOAT IN GEAR AND HOLD ROD BETWEEN YOU KNEES WELL REMOVING .IF YOU ARE EVER FIGHTING BIG SALMON SUCH AS KINGS YOU CAN FREE SPOOL THESE BACK OUT OF THE WAY WITH CLICKER ON TO CLEAR THEM WITHOUT PULLING THEM IN PLUS THEY GET A LOT OF HITS WHEN YOU ARE FIGHTING FISH OF YOU RIGGERS . CK OUT CHURCH TACKLE STERN PLANERS ON YOU TUB YOU WILL BE GLADE YOU DID !O YOU CAN USE TORPEDO WEIGHTS INSTEAD OF DIPSYES AS WELL THEY HAVE MUCH LESS DRAG AND YOU CAN PLACE THEM ANYWHERE ON MAIN LINE .HOPE THIS HELPS IT WAS TOP SECRETE ! :roll:
Trackertroller
Species: Cold & Warm Water

Post by Trackertroller »

Awesome report!!
Glad it was shared with your dad.
JEREMY
1987 24' Chaparral
"Plenty of Fish"
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Where do you buy your torpedo rig? i have found 2 and 4oz but no 8oz
hard knox

Post by hard knox »

I looked at mine today they are the shark and the muskey i think there are other sizes as well i got mine from gander mountain but just as easy to go online i am sure fish usa would have them .
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Thanks