salmon & lake trout fishing

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
mudchuck
Species: perch

salmon & lake trout fishing

Post by mudchuck »

I finally got my boat refurbished and on the water yesterday with the motor working like it should!
Have a 40 horse 2-stroke and it is working pretty good at slow speed, it can get down to 2.25-2.5MPH surface, and then I can drag a bucket or 2 and get down even slower.
Was a long winter replacing the rotten flooring & flotation foam, new paint job and a few electrical wiring things along with getting the motor running smooth. New Transom is next winter.
I'm in the process of setting up to troll, and it will take a while to get all the proper gear.
I've got dipsy/jets and some spoons and trolling rods with line counters, picking up gear here & there, and will seek out downriggers etc... once I know how I want to mount them...

We tried trolling the cowbanks area yesterday and marked tons of baitfish, but not understanding the techniques for salmon trolling, we gave up after a couple hours and went to the mouth of the Lamoille and bottom bounced.
Can anyone help me in understanding where to fish for lakers this time of year?
I know I can jig them late season in deep water, but totally lost on where to chase them with these water temps and not knowing where they tend to be early season.
Would like to get a couple of friends out with me this afternoon and tomorrow (weather permitting), and try to get on some lake trout, as none of us have ever been out to do that before.
I've only got a couple thru the ice, but never from a boat or shore. They've never caught a laker either.
Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated and I'm not looking for anyone's honeyhole, just general info on techniques and point me in a general direction of jig or troll, depth, typical structure etc...
Mudchuck
(look for the 14' tinny with the haze grey underway paint scheme...all you old Navy salts)
mudchuck

Re: salmon & lake trout fishing

Post by mudchuck »

seriously?! 71 views and none of you will even offer a suggestion!
Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

No expert by any means for lakers but salmon wouldn't cooperate today but lakers were plentiful on the screen so we dropped some smelt lookalike plugs and picked up several trolling, pretty cool watched some on screen come up from 60 to 40 and smack the downrigger. Just try to match the bait it works for me.
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

I sent you a PM 4 hours ago
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Can't give you much advise on fishing the IS, I haven't fished it for years.
For lakers, I suggest you go SLOOWWW, 1.5-1.6 mph, keep your lure less 15' from your downrigger ball, and try to bounce the ball off bottom. Shinny lures like Suttons work for me.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
bigfish
Species: salmon

Post by bigfish »

I've been doing good in 50-70 fow. But have caught a few 15-45 down as well. Try blue silver, blk/purple/white, green glow. Spoons. Or chartreuse j7 rapala. My slide diver have done well from 130-150 out off the reel. On a 3 setting. Trolling 1.8-2.0 GPS. Has worked. Try Plattsburgh bay or crab island area
Not salmon today. Tried a new spot. But 15-25 down has been good 2 color or 3 color cores have been working. Blk/silver, purple/silver been ok.
Tight lines !
spinner
Species: salmon

Post by spinner »

mudchuck
While you still can run under the sandbar bridge run out and fish from stave to providence. 20 feet down to the surface you should get a few lakers. run any spoon with dots
Bearcat
Species: cold water!

Post by Bearcat »

We've caught plenty of lakers up there in May last two years flat lining deep diving sticks like Tail Dancers. Seems like this time of year they're not very fussy, they'll hit just about anything.
mudchuck

Post by mudchuck »

thanks everyone!
Off season
Species: Salmon/Lakers

Post by Off season »

Look for Bait , fish in and above bait
"OFF SEASON"
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

MudChuck. Will be pre fishing lci Friday the 16th if you want to drive down to port henry and get trolling class 101- 310. You might walk away with a phd and a drained bank account for all the chit you will want to buy... Harry

PS. Might even get fishy1 to tag along and he will show you how to rope a salmon.