Fishing trip with Capt Thorny, 5/21/17

Check and share here for the latest fishing reports.
Crayfish
Species: All of them

Fishing trip with Capt Thorny, 5/21/17

Post by Crayfish »

As some of you may know, I won a 6hr charter with Capt Thorny during the 2nd LCU Winter Workshop a few months ago. Rob and I arranged a date shortly after that, and it just happened to fall this past Sunday during the Dattilio's derby. Rob decided that an EARLY start would be best to try to get some fishing in before the crowds were out and about.

My wife Susan, son Jacob and I met Rob and Rick (Cowboy) at the dock at 5am Sunday morning. What a great day to be on the water!

Rob got us on fish pretty quickly, with my son Jacob being the first one up. He put a nice 21+" salmon in the box. My wife was up next for a shot at the first salmon of her life. It didn't take long and she ALMOST beat out my son's fish with a 21"er of her own. Then it was my turn and we struggled to keep fish buttoned up. We had plenty of opportunities, but it took a while to finally get one to stay hooked. I think we were 3 for 7 at that point. Rob blamed it on Rick "ripping their lips off" ... It's always good to have a scapegoat on board with you! :D

By then we were constantly surrounded by boats. Rob would get away from the pack, we'd find some fish that wanted to play and before we could get turned around for another pass there were boats everywhere. We had 4 salmon in the box at that point, and decided to make a move to get away from the crowds. Rob took us to his "secret" laker haunt and switched up some of the lures to target lakers and work out our arms a little more.

He found them! We ended up with doubles on at one point with a 3rd rod firing just as the first laker was in the boat. Two of those were twins ... nice fat lakers at ~29". My wife got a chance to catch her first laker, too.

We ended the day with 4 salmon and 5 lakers boated during tough conditions due to the flat calm water, sunny skies and LOTS of boat traffic.

I'd like to thank Rob for donating this trip for the Winter Workshop and for putting us on fish. We had a great time!
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: Fishing trip with Capt Thorny, 5/21/17

Post by fishy1 »

great report and i knew thorny would put you on fish and under tough conditions. really happy for you your wife and perch bait on winning the charter with thorny. the same day i had a conversation in port henry at the launch with a freind of thornys and told me of your success. :D
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

I always tell the wife when Thorny calls to see if I want to go fishing..... I have to say yes Honey, it's worth hundreds of dollars....

Nice pictures and stories. You can't go wrong on the Cathy Jean Fishin Machine.
Matt B
Gecha (Gerry)
Species: whatever crazy enough to bite

Post by Gecha (Gerry) »

Great report and pics. Thanks Thorny for donating that incredible journey.
I always hear great reports and comments from everyone fishing with Capt Thorny.
Gecha (Gerry North of the Border)
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Your smiles tell the story. Congratulation crayfish and family.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

THORNY:

Nice work. I am afraid your reputation precedes you, ... and obviously follows you!!
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Thorny

Post by Thorny »

You are welcome Shaun. It was our pleasure to meet and fish with your family!
Captain Rob Thorne
Captain Thorny's Fishing Charters
Rcthorne1@aol.com