pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Post by fishy1 »

3/11/2018 well today as i was headed to vt i had a check engine light come on in my pickup so i stopped at the bridge . all of my guages were normal so i was thinking gas cap again. but i said better play it safe and fish the bridge area. ist spot 1/2 hour no bites fishing with worms on bottom . 2nd spot 1/2 hour no bites. 3rd spot 1/2 hour no bites but before moving on i was going to toss one rod towards shore in the heavy weeds before leaving hit bottom and fish on i land a nice yellow perch . the next 20 minutes or so i land several nice yellows. then they were gone was okay i had a good mess for a meal. spring fishing im ready. :D i was very surprised how clear the water was.Image
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

fishy1 wrote:i land several nice yellows. then they were gone was okay i had a good mess for a meal
I'll say you do!! :D
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

So the ice is out by the bridge?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:So the ice is out by the bridge?
yes north to the red can and south to the red can
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Thats a nice bunch of yellows
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/27/2018 went out this morning hopeing to get into some pan fish. 22 degrees and a frost so i selected some shallow water in the sun while it was out . started fishing at 7:45 am with a slight breeze set up 2 rods with crawlers and small sinkers. found some running water and decided to fish out in front of it. wasnt there 5 minutes when my right rod when flying off the stick and into the water. grabbed it quickly but no fish on. pulled it in and no bait. dont know what it was but not a pan fish for sure. then for the next 2 hours lots of bites and no fish. would bite and stop all the time. after a while they would get most of the worm. had a couple solid bites but no takers. moved to another spot where there were several fisherman and the same results nothing. they had caught a few bull head and that was it. the wind was really picking up then decided to go home and try again tommorrow. we need some warm weather and some rain water is extremly low. :(
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

How the lake looking south of the bridge. Ice or Water Matt?
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Does the whole lake look low Matt? And if so do you think the snow pack melting will be enough to bring it up?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:How the lake looking south of the bridge. Ice or Water Matt?
water from red can to red can rest all iced in
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

jimbow wrote:Does the whole lake look low Matt? And if so do you think the snow pack melting will be enough to bring it up?
jim everything is very low and i don think there is enough snow melt left because of the slow melting with the cold and no rain. fished dead creek yesterday in panton the little inlets were completely dry and the dam you could see bottom. not good.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

went back this morning pan fishing to meet up with a local freind. we started fishing at 7:30 am and he was catching nice bullhead right away . a slow start for me but soon picked up . i was catching laker size bullhead and he was catching the mediums. then i picked up a couple nice yellow perch. around 10 am after a off and on run we got a strong current and thats when the bites got steady, i was catching bullhead yellows and a few whites. lots of fisherman and everyone started getting some fish then. a boat anchored a little below us was fishing for carp and he caught 5 when we were there not to big and tossed them in the cooler. a good day and a nice day i kept 26 bullhead and my freind kept a little over 30. all other fish were released. no pics as my freind didnt care for my posting his pics. i have one pic of my pail with the bullhead ill post later.Image
cleaned bullhead 17 of the 26 i caught gave 9 away.
tamiron
Species: trout, salmon

Post by tamiron »

Nice Mess of bullheads! My mouth is watering
Lures designed by fishermen for fishermen
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Nice looking BH Matt. Even though Bullhead have that dark red color Traci and I don't think they test all that fishy. What do you think?
PS We are closing on the camp in Shoreham VT Tomorrow.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Nice looking BH Matt. Even though Bullhead have that dark red color Traci and I don't think they test all that fishy. What do you think?
PS We are closing on the camp in Shoreham VT Tomorrow.
thats why i keep them on ice when it gets warmer they stay red. the big trick though is to fry them crispy.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

3/29/2018 hit the water again this morning for some pan fish action and anything else that wanted my crawlers. started fishing at 7:10 am and the bite was slow but picked up a couple of nice bullhead . at 7:45 am my right rod was bent a little but not moving for a few seconds then started down slow about 10 inches or so picked it up pulled turned to my freind and said im hung up so i pulled and then it happened my drag started zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzing like no tommorrow and i tried to put some pressure in it but im not moving him at all. my freind came over and reeled in my other rod saying your going to need room get this fish in i need to see whats on the other end wow. well everytime i would try to move it was impossible . things running through my mind sturgeon or musky. about 10 minutes later i had a big crowd around me hoping to see it. another 10 minutes and it came forward a little so i put lots of pressure and got him up about 10 feet from shore but that was a mistake on my part. it was a huge carp and the 2nd time he swirled he went down fast and it let loose. ugh. pulled my remaining line in and it broke the hook in half. well at least we saw it. then at 10:15 am my line starts up the creek at a fast pace and i grab the rod and fish on again zzzzzzzzing my drag up and down the creek its going. after a few minutes a guy in a boat says let him come to me and ill put it in the net. and he did turned out to be a nice bowfin. ended the day at 11 am with 13 nice bullhead and caught maybe 12 perch released all the perch. nice day on the shore with plenty of company fishing was slow but thats fishing. water temperature was 34 degrees. you never know what your going to catch fishing with crawlers. :DImage