pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
fishy1
Species: many species

Re: pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Lgbigfish most any place around Benson Landing has good cat fishing. I would go south up into the narrows. Fish the main part of the lake. Use good size bait for the cats. Late afternoon and evenings are best. I had a camp on the lake in Benson for 38 years.
x2
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/30/2017 hit the shore at 6:30 am for some catfishing and bowfin fishing. ist 10 minutes a run and a miss. then at 8:30 am 2 runs at the same time oh oh. picked up the ist rod and closed the bail and a miss. ran over to the other rod about 20 yards and most of the line was off the reel closed the bail fast set the hook and fish on only it was out in the jungle weeds and wouldnt budge. worked it out slowly using my cat rod then got it moving and after about 5 or 6 minutes i land a 9 or 10 lb catfish and 10 lbs of jungle weeds on it. fished another hour or so landing another cat and missing one. water has cooled off and the bite is on again. :D
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

7/30/2017 took alayna down to fmb bait and tackle shop to use her gift certificate we got her for her birthday. she bought catfish hooks, sinkers, crazy ivan lure, trout worms pink, and more and john gave her 2 live crayfish to try since we were going catfishing.
alayna and i set up at 6:20 pm and at 6:45 pm we had company family from my freinds who own the land. they head heard about alayna winning 10 th place in the fathers day derby so they wanted to meet us. i was hoping they wouldnt be dissappointed and that we would catch some fins or cats. 7:15 pm a run on alyana,s rod . slow run so she looks at everyone and says its a fin. they all just laughed and then she closes the bail and fish on only to lose it to the lily pads a decent size fin. i baited it back up and tossed it out and alayna says grab the net pa pa i have a fin run on my other rod . grabbed the net and she closes the bail and fish on and a good one. it was right in the middle of the lily pads though so i told her to put pressure on it and when she did it busted water lily pads and all and cleared to the open shore line. everyone gathered around and were cheering her on and about 3 or 4 minutes later i think it got hectic with this fin busting water and not wanting any part of the shore. alayna was having trouble getting it to the net so i told her use the cat rod and and with all you strength pull it towards me and she did and i swiped at the fin and in the net it went. wow talk about some excitement with an audience. i hurried measured it and it was 30 inches a good size fin. then alayna says pa pa you line on your rod is way out so i hurried and put the fin in the cooler and headed for my rod with alayna following with the net . closed the bail and fish on i land a nice male fin. wow what an ending. the family asked how she knew the runs were bowfins alayna says because catfish run a straight line and at a very fast pace unlike a fin. they said thats funny she knows that alayna saImageys pa pa taught me. :)
here is alayna with john bezon owner of fmb bait and tackle with crayfish
here is alayna releasing her 30 inch bowfin which weighed 9.24 lbs

C-Hawk
Species: salmon,lake trout

Post by C-Hawk »

You should make some you-tube videos Matt, I bet she would get a million views. Tackle companies will be sending her free stuff, clothing companies, later on jewelry. The possibilities are endless. I hope someday she remembers meeting me.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/1/2017 alayna wanted to go down to deep bay tonight and try for catfish and bowfins. havent fished there since spring for salmon. have permission from the owners of a camp to fish on there property so i told her we would give it a try. water was clear and semi weedy and about 5 fow. set 4 cat rods out with whole bait pumkinseeds and white perch 5 to 7 inches. started fishing at 6:35 pm and 8 pm still no runs. alayna was fidgety by now and then it happened a decent run alayna grabbed the net and followed me it was on my cat rod but i just couldnt pick it up i said alayna you catch it. handed me the net and said are you sure and i said yes. after the fish took about 50 yards of line or so she closed the bail set the hook and fish on and boy was it busting water. alayna was very excited and said pa pa i need to get this one he is a fighter since we dont have all those jungle weeds. fight it she did and after a 2 or 3 minute battle alayna won. wow she did an awsome job without those jungle weeds. the drag was zzzzzzzzzzzzzzing to. we then went home and stopped and bought some ice cream for everyone at genes.
here is alayna with her 29 inch bowfin.
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Thats a beautiful smile. Catching a big Bowfin then getting ice cream "now" that a good day.
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Here's what she could aspire to do, http://www.darcizzleoffshore.com
This woman can really fish, the guide I use in the Keys takes her out and I have offered to take her out on Champlain through him, but have not heard from her yet.
digitroll (ron)

Post by digitroll (ron) »

Nice job with your granddaughter Matt!
Reelax
Site Admin
Species: Salmon, steelhead, brown trout

Post by Reelax »

Boy is that one lucky little girl... To catch fish like that at that age with the that kind of mentoring... Precious! Inspiring! Amazing!

Nice story Matt!!
Matt B
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Thats a beautiful smile. Catching a big Bowfin then getting ice cream "now" that a good day.
she was trying to smile naturally but the fin on the end of the line was mad. ha ha
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/2/2017 a special day for me with alayna as i ordered some shirts from loremans in keeseville for alayna winning 10 th place in the junior division with a 9.20 lb bowfin. i ordered one for her sisters my son and daughter-in-law and na na and i. here is alayna at loremans in keeseville with the shirt which they did and outstanding job. Image
Sawyer
Species: All

Post by Sawyer »

Sweet
C-Hawk

Post by C-Hawk »

Very nice Matt, maybe I should get one made up with me and Miss Vermont?
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

C-Hawk wrote:Very nice Matt, maybe I should get one made up with me and Miss Vermont?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Sorry C-Hawk....Alayna still has my vote
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

8/3/2017 went down to deep bay for a couple hours fishing for pan fish with one rod and catfish and bowfins with another. was catching some nice size yellow perch and blue gills out about 20 feet from shore along the edge of the rocks. about 7:45 am had a very slow run on the cat rod much like a bowfin run. it didnt stop but went slowly out closed the bail after a few minutes set the hook and didnt budge it. im stuck on something ugh. grabbed the line with my hand and started pulling when i moved it and then it started pulling back ugh again i had a bad feeling i wasnt going to like what was on the end of the line. let the line go and started using the rod to get it up and started reeling in as much as i could . kept pressure on it and after a while got it to the shore but couldnt get it up on the rocks to cut the line. i had a very mad big snapping turtle on. yikes. he opened his mouth and put his paws up and they were as big as a softball with 3 or 4 inch nails. he didnt want any part of the shore . ugh. snapped a pic with my canon eos but the pic doesnt do it justice for the size of this beast. grabbed the line and got as close to its mouth as i could cut the line and it was on its way. this rod was set up with 40 lb trilenes big game for catfishing and ocean fishing with a 9 foot rod. would have never been able to get it in with the 20 lb big game. went home right after that but had a nice mess of yellow perch and blue gills. filleted 17 yellows and 14 blue gills. Image