pan fishing and cafishing2017 ADDED PIC OF 30 LB PLUS CATFISH 7/25/2017

Fishing reports, pointers, lessons leaned from Matthew Glebus aka Fishy1
Sawyer
Species: All

Re: pan fishing 2017

Post by Sawyer »

71 perch is a good day Matt have you found anymore Alewives in there stomachs?
It looks like Jimbow is coming up to do some fishing some time soon.
fishy1
Species: many species

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:71 perch is a good day Matt have you found anymore Alewives in there stomachs?
It looks like Jimbow is coming up to do some fishing some time soon.
it just wasnt the same don one rod earlier in the week couldnt set it down yesterday except for a couple of hours could set it down and relax. im just spoiled i guess. cant drag bottom there because of the heavy weeds so jut have to sit and wait.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/30/2017 a windy wash out today and a dr.s appoitment this morning couldnt get out fishing so tonight i went over to the camp and fished with 1 rod for pan fish and my cat rod for cats and fins. set up at 6 pm and left at 6:35 pm with it thundering and a hard rain. did catch some nice sunnies and whites though. the ist 10 minutes there had a decent run on the cat rod it took about 200 feet of line before i even got to it closed the bail tightened up and had it on for approx. 2 minutes and it shook loose. felt like a decent cat since it was a long ways out. rain the rest of the week so will be fishing somehow in between rain drops. the wind will dictate what species ill be fishing for.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

5/31/2017 headed over to the camp this morning for some pan fish action and cats and fins. water was a little murky just right. set out my cat rod with a pumpkinseed on it about a 5 incher. fished my other rod with crawlers and the whites were on fire . pretty steady biting and nice ones. at 8 am had a run on the cat line got to and almost out of line on the spool closed the bail set the hook really hard since it was out in the channel over 200 feet pulled it out of his mouth and he got the seed. 15 minutes later it took off again and could see metal on my big reels spool closed the bail set the hook and nothing didnt get the bait this time in between i was still getting whites and was busy then the thunder came in and fished another 15 minutes or so and i landed a nice 13 inch white that weighed 1.14 lbs. picked up the cat rod and when i did it took off and tightened up and stopped and took off again set the hook in a hurry because it was starting to rain really hard. pulled it out of its mouth grabbed the rods and headed to the car and out of there. ugh!
here is the 13 inch white perch with some white perch fillets.Imageimage host
Hairbone
Species: Bluegill

Post by Hairbone »

Nice size whites!
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Sounds like the cats are giving you the slip Matt. I don't no why they're running so far before eating the bait. Maybe there trying to get away from other cats or they'er VT residents going back home LOL.
I like to use a big soft bait like a Dace or a fish fillet Traci likes chicken livers.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Sounds like the cats are giving you the slip Matt. I don't no why they're running so far before eating the bait. Maybe there trying to get away from other cats or they'er VT residents going back home LOL.
I like to use a big soft bait like a Dace or a fish fillet Traci likes chicken livers.
don all cats like to run the bait out of the area as quickly as possible and they can move. dont know why that is but its the case with all of them which leads to more excitement. thats the reason for the big reels and cat rods when you close the bail just hang on. you also need at least 20 lb test line to since they are traveling through the jungles to get where there going. :lol:
fishy1

Re: pan fishing and cafishing2017

Post by fishy1 »

6/14/2017 gearing up for the lci fathers day derby with my son and daughter in law so headed over to the camp for some pan fishing and catfishing. a good stiff north wind blowing in made it ideal for catfish. put on a 5 inch punmpkinseed on the cat rod and a crawler on the worm rod for pan fish. 10 minutes no bites on the crawler and fighting the weeds blowing in on my cat line picked it up to shake weeds off it when suddenly my line took off and didnt stop until i closed the bail and fish on i lnad a nice fat 30 inch catfish. re baited with another seed and when it hit bottom it took off and fish on only to lose it half way in . then only 1 more run and a miss the next 2 hours. the worm rod kept me busy though with mostly white perch assorted in size nothing over 10 inches.
30 inch fat cat
Last edited by fishy1 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Nice fat cat. Witch species of fish are you targeting for in the derby Matt?
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Sawyer wrote:Nice fat cat. Witch species of fish are you targeting for in the derby Matt?
don got some good news my 6 year old granddaughter is on our team and she will be fishing with me on shore. going to see what the weather is like ist then go from there. could be catfish and fins or lakers and salmon. might just mix it up . im hoping to put her on fish.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

6/20/2017 fished the lci fathers day derby all weekend with my 6 year old granddaughter and had a blast. the fish didnt cooperate much but we still had a great time. for now it looks like alayna is going to win in the kids division with a 9.20 lb bowfin. but monday the last day she want to fish with worms with her new pole the lci gave her and wow did she shock me. we were fishing on shore at my relatives camp and alayna for the next 3 hours landed lot of pan fish. gills,seeds, white and yellow perch. she wanted to keep only the biggest to eat so i did. she filled a half of a cooler full. last night i counted them as i filleted them and she kept 42 big pannies. so im guessing she caught over 60. it was a slow weekend for us for catfish and bowfins but she did catch a big bowfin. i got broke off on a catfish on a submerged tree and lost a huge fish out 150 yards in heavy jungle weeds but we had a great time. :D :D
jimbow
Species: Salmon & anything that swims

Post by jimbow »

Sounds like she will be giving you a run for the money pretty soon Matt, ;) Good for her, I know she enjoys eating them too! :D
Sawyer

Post by Sawyer »

Congrats to you and your granddaughter on your LCI success. Any pic of Alayna and her Bowfin?
Traci and I had the worst weekend of fishing ever. Fished the IS for salmon and the main lake for lakers.
Traci caught 1 small yellow perch and thats it no other hits or releases we even fished after dark for walleyes.
fishy1

Post by fishy1 »

Adkhare
Species: All of em

Post by Adkhare »

Great pic , that's what it's all about.